IGNORED

Just got a Silvia, having an absolute mare

1 hour ago, LostHighway said:

I must admit there’s a bit of a personal aesthetic appeal of the Mazzer. 

It's as good a reason as any! They are nice looking and built like tanks - they really are designed for an industrial setting and it shows. The doser is meant to be constantly filled and left on one appropriate grind setting for all eternity, very low maintenance as you'd want in a cafe. You can tell they don't envision anyone changing the grind settings very much by how awful they are to adjust!!

I have no issues with retention from a cost/waste perspective as if you do the maths it's very negligible, it was more just that there were so many places for tiny bits of coffee to get stuck in the doser and who wants stale coffee hanging around to potentially getting into the next days batch? A funnel or Daniel Wong kit is going to be essential in my view. For the SJ (and presumably the MM too), you can buy pre-made funnels but you also need a backplate if removing the doser, it was over £100 for these parts.

Best of luck with it, there's loads of info out there on them and there's a dedicated section on these forums for Mazzer grinders to get specific help.

Edited by newdent
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get consistently good results with 15g in the stock v6 double basket. Keep going finer until you’re in the right time window. I’ve always bought fresh beans, but I’ve heard old beans are harder

Ok so far more success today.   Ive taken some photos but apparently my phone camera is broken as it was staying blurry.   With the grinder at 4 I did 14g in, a much lighter tamp t

Residual water can just be a byproduct of what the 3 way solenoid leaves behind. If the coffee is tasty, what can really be that wrong? You could try slightly higher doses/fill levels if it really irk

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, newdent said:

Could you elaborate on this please John? Certainly, on paper you'd imagine the g-iota, with the 64mm burrs would perform a bit better, basically like an SJ. Many people seem to have gone through the trouble of replacing the MM upper burr carrier to take the SJ burrs and you'd imagine they did that for a reason. I have no idea, just interested. 

None of the things I have posted in the Solo thread. The but is brushing grinds out of the grinds chamber exit and if the ;) last ~0.1g is wanted remove weight in my case, brush around burrs, replace weight spin up briefly and brush the exit again. My son once said dad 13.9g came out so I told him to do the 2nd brush routine ;) 14g as it should be then.

Burr carrier - not heard of that. One MM uses a smaller burr. The one I have is 64mm and as far as I know are the same size as the SJ. I have some SJ burrs but never fitted them to it. They give a higher grinding rate than the stock MM burrs. Better - pass. A problem with coffee stuff. All sorts are claimed but people use different beans and work in different ways. Grinders can changed taste but so can tuning.

36 minutes ago, LostHighway said:

Does Mazzer sell a doserless funnel that fits to the Mini without drilling etc?

Mazzer Mini parts can be bought. They tend to be expensive. For weighing in I remove the deflector plate and the mesh anti static grid. I don't think this needs a cover but as mine is the electronic version can't be 100% sure but very very much doubt it.

The Mini handled my 2nd crack monsooned without any problem. At the time the bean was somewhat less oily than the one I use now but still shiny with it. The SGP couldn't weigh those in. Curiously it was ok with the hopper on.

The funnel may also need a brush to get rather small amounts out. It's in the hand though so not a significant problem and it may remain clean. Usually people modify ebay octopus funnels and they too can work well, usually on SJ's. Perhaps the internal polish on the Mazzer part is better. All Mazzer funnels appear to be identical. The electronics boards are as they are set to the required model when powered up for the first time.

I have seen another way of using them hopper on. Disk of mesh in the funnel. Clumps don't fall through but can be brushed through. Dosers tend to not produce clumps but I have never tried one for long. They don't suffer from spout problems where beans stick insided due to the distance the grinds are thrown. Funnel the same. There is usually 30~40g centrifugal force chucking the grinds out.

Solo is looking a bit better now. 4 shots. fixed 30sec shot and a couple of grams variation in output. One type of bean so far but it indicates a more consistent grinds with a single rubber flap but grinds are still building up inside.

Great, thanks so much.

I’m sure I can figure this out when it arrives but if the doser is designed to be filled regularly, presumably the amount dosed using the lever can be adjusted?

Is it possible to set it to dose a predetermined amount with x number of lever pulls? I always weigh my PF if I’m just making one coffee but if I’m doing two or three, especially with a single group/boiler machine in a hurry to make shots before they cool it would be a bonus if I can just pull the lever and know the dose is relatively close to the desired weight.

Edited by LostHighway
8 minutes ago, LostHighway said:

Is it possible to set it to dose a predetermined amount with x number of lever pulls?

Pass - I've never tried using one like that but cafes do. I don't know what the limits are.

I just did a bit of Googling, seems like it is possible to set up to 8g dose per pull but it requires the doser to be relatively full to enable gravity to help with the way the doser works.

Which makes sense as you say in a cafe environment where the doser would be constantly refilled.

If it's a bog standard mechanical doser then it'll give a standard dose per pull but as you say, with 1-2 doses inside, you'll get inconsistent doses as the chambers are unlikely to be filled fully. Also, if the doser is like the SJ, coffee will have been propelled into inconvenient places, which will need to be brushed into the doser compartments (don't know what else to call them). It's a faff. 

Again, if anything like the SJ, the bottom of the vanes that sweep the grounds around the doser will have gaps under them which will leave a few grams stuck in the doser. Search the forum for the 'clean sweep mod' for details on how to partially resolve. Not a huge deal on a cafe environment as it's a few grams out of an entire doser full of coffee but a pain to get rid of when dosing for 1 or 2 people. If you think you'll do it eventually, then there's no point suffering with the doser, just take the plunge and get a funnel asap. If there's a micro switch on the top of the doser, then you'll have to rewire the grinder to ignore it when swapping to a funnel. It's straightforward enough to do and details on the forum if you search for it. I can't confirm as I had an SJ not a MM but would assume it would have a micro switch. 

I got the timer one, but yes I see your point.

I’ll just run it cafe style and make 100 espressos a day.

Jokes aside I might just see how much I need in the doser to actually work an accurate dose with the lever. 

Failing that it looks like I’m buying the funnel kit!

I just watched a vid on adding the Mazzer funnel and it looks incredibly straightforward. Either that or the James Wong kit mentioned above. I don’t have an endless supply of money but I don’t mind adding a little extra if it’ll get me a machine that will last me years.

Yes, exactly. It's a sore point for me because I held out on buying something for a year and then finally caved and bought it anyway and can't help but be bitter about the year I spent suffering without it. Lesson learnt!! I'm quite tight fisted, so trying to make more long-sighted decisions from now on!

Anyway, workflow aside, at least you're going to have coffee ground very well, very soon! If you search the forum, someone will tell you a guesstimate number of notches to move from burrs touching for when you set it up. Always nice to have a ballpark so you don't waste loads of coffee. Enjoy!

Thanks yeah I hear you. Not to make this thread my life story but I was in a pretty gnarly non-fault motorcycle crash a couple of years ago. A decent coffee setup doesn’t really make up for the long-term injuries I have but afterwards I said I’d set aside a little treat budget to get myself a nice machine and grinder so I’d rather have something that will last a long time.

I’ll report back once it arrives.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Ok got it set up and incredibly impressed straight away. The factory recommended setting on the sticker was spot-on (as I suppose it’s meant to be).

Even my partner noticed a taste improvement when she tried the espresso. She’s into coffee but hugely sceptical about this new mass of equipment suddenly taking over the kitchen.

Dosing is certainly a bit of a game but as expected. One method that seems to be fairly quick and foolproof is if I turn the timer to just a click past the point the grinder kicks in, that drops around 18-20g into the doser. I’ll then lever the doser into the basket and I managed to get within 3/4 gram either side of 18 from a few tries. I’ll still weigh out the doses if I’m just making one, but if I’m doing two or three I’m happy enough with those averages to just wing it.

Overall, really pleased and it’s nice to have a grinder that now feels as solid (if not more so!) than the Silvia.

One question… there were these plastic things in the box, marked in mm, no idea what they are… I also couldn’t find a reference to them in the manual?

9B4D2F7C-5933-4FFB-9CA3-6B3DF4F5DA06.jpeg

Edited by LostHighway
3 hours ago, LostHighway said:

Ok got it set up and incredibly impressed straight away. The factory recommended setting on the sticker was spot-on (as I suppose it’s meant to be).

Even my partner noticed a taste improvement when she tried the espresso. She’s into coffee but hugely sceptical about this new mass of equipment suddenly taking over the kitchen.

Dosing is certainly a bit of a game but as expected. One method that seems to be fairly quick and foolproof is if I turn the timer to just a click past the point the grinder kicks in, that drops around 18-20g into the doser. I’ll then lever the doser into the basket and I managed to get within 3/4 gram either side of 18 from a few tries. I’ll still weigh out the doses if I’m just making one, but if I’m doing two or three I’m happy enough with those averages to just wing it.

Overall, really pleased and it’s nice to have a grinder that now feels as solid (if not more so!) than the Silvia.

One question… there were these plastic things in the box, marked in mm, no idea what they are… I also couldn’t find a reference to them in the manual?

9B4D2F7C-5933-4FFB-9CA3-6B3DF4F5DA06.jpeg

No clue what these are, dissapointed tho, no new pictures of the setup 🤣

3 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

No clue what these are, dissapointed tho, no new pictures of the setup 🤣

Haha I’m still waiting for my phone to be repaired after the issues mentioned when trying to take video of the shot.

Here’s a quick one!

E385A1E6-CABB-47B9-B454-08134A9A9254.jpeg