IGNORED

Weber HG-2 hand grinder

Seems like there isn’t much interest in this grinder on here. It does seem very well thought out with some lovely details like the brush holder. 

How have you found the HG-1? I can’t work out if Weber is all Apple style marketing or if there is engineering and manufacturing substance backing up the clever design.

I already have an MC3 so not sure I would gain anything with one of these but the elegance and simplicity of a hand grinder is very appealing. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RobW said:

Seems like there isn’t much interest in this grinder on here. It does seem very well thought out with some lovely details like the brush holder. 

How have you found the HG-1? I can’t work out if Weber is all Apple style marketing or if there is engineering and manufacturing substance backing up the clever design.

I already have an MC3 so not sure I would gain anything with one of these but the elegance and simplicity of a hand grinder is very appealing. 

I always liked the idea of them...never knew how easy they were to use, or how well the ground. There were some questionable videos on YouTube showing people having great trouble grinding...which I found hard to believe and assumed there must be something wrong with their particular grinders, or they were spoofs? I've never tried one myself.

It's hard to see what you would gain over the MC3...probably just a more organic experience.

Edited by DavecUK

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif.e86a9bdd3d8e72977b9f1a858ca5b70d.gif  It's just a game and I beat it.

Posted (edited)

I was looking at coincidentally this morning, and the differences seemed minor given the increase in cost - mostly the power transmission, And a brush in the handle(?) - may be missing something. Am sure it's lovely in general but...  

Hand grinding isn't for me, and I guess this may mean a redesign of the wug2 needed, and/or inflation to grinder prices..

Edited by danielpugh

The magnetic catch cup and integrated WDT device is interesting. I would be worried about it breaking though.

It may be a small thing but having a slot for the brush is clever. We all know you need one to hand and it just ends up taking up space or getting misplaced.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, RobW said:

The magnetic catch cup and integrated WDT device is interesting. I would be worried about it breaking though.

It may be a small thing but having a slot for the brush is clever. We all know you need one to hand and it just ends up taking up space or getting misplaced.

it seems very nice, but quite a jump in price.  I suppose at least there is a bonus of being v.2

if there was a motor i would be interested 😉

ok correction - i am interested, just unlikely to buy without the motor ...

we have a pedalo on the farm (long story) which i enjoy pedalling for about 10 minutes, but i much prefer the boat with the electric motor...

I’m a competitive cyclist. If there was a pedal powered grinder that would be right up my street 🤣

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RobW said:

I’m a competitive cyclist. If there was a pedal powered grinder that would be right up my street 🤣

The Weber actually looks like it was designed with that in mind..

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the HG-1 for just over a year and love it. On the upgrades, these look to be marginal improvements and not worth it for my workflow. 

1. flip handle - I use it with a sticky pad underneath, which makes grinding much easier (one handed), but means there would be no benefit to the flip handle as I don't move it around. 

2. integrated brush - great addition

3. gear change - i don't use light roast

4. finer grind adjust - there are enough steps with the HG-1

5. magic tumbler - i don't find clumping to be a major issue with the central spoke of the tumbler, but use WDT anyhow. This is a nice touch but i'm not a fan of the aesthetics

6. lower ground retention material - HG-1 does pick up static if you don't use water droplets but retention is very low if you do

• Like 1