IGNORED

Terrible sound from ECM Mechanika IV Profi

When in start the pump of my ECM Mechanika IV Profi, there is a terrible sound for a couple of seconds, and I see the pressure is struggling to raise. 

Anything obvious what this is about?

See video 

Edited by waitz

Initial pump cavitation, possibly caused by one way valve letting by (calcified?). Sound of water, don't know if pulling shot against blind filter....if so, where is this water coming from..expansion valve (calcification)?

When did it start doing it, how old is the machine, what water are you using?

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

Thanks for answering, Dave. The machine is 6 years old, and I have only used remineralized reverse osmosis water, well taken care of, so there is no calc in the machine. The noise started gently some months ago, and a couple of weeks ago it got rapid worse.

@waitz Sound of water, don't know if pulling shot against blind filter....if so, where is this water coming from..expansion valve (calcification)?

11 hours ago, DavecUK said:

@waitz Sound of water, don't know if pulling shot against blind filter...

It was extracting through a double filter with coffee in it on the video, but the sound is the same even if I just flush the pump without a piston.

5 minutes ago, waitz said:

I have access to a quite fancy water filter that does the whole process of reverse osmosis and remineralising, but I don't know exactly how.

What is it called?

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

I went to look. It's called Artesia 24 (Model membrane 1812 50 GPD / 1812 75 GPD)
I will find my water tester also and check the TDS amount...

I'll make it easier...the pump is cavitating for one of 3 reasons:

• The one way valve after the pump is letting by and allowing water and air back through the tube and into the cold tank (if it's plumbed in this doesn't apply). If it's bad, then the thermosyphon in the group will eventually stall and the group go cold/cool when the machine is left switched on for extended periods but unused. Disassemble and clean the one way valve, it's usually the first inline valve after the pump.
  • There is a kink, blockage or split in the feed tube or any water assembly the bottom of the tank pushes into (unlikely if you don't have water leaking onto the counter and/or have not opened the machine). I make the assumption here that the feed tube (if there is one) is pushed into the tankl and there is no inline filter (because of your water treatment)
  • The pump head is damaged inside (unlikely)
Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

That was easier to read, thank you very much for your answer 🙂 I will take a look.

PS: I measured the water I use to 10 PPM. Does this affect the machine in a negative way, that it is so clean?

13 minutes ago, waitz said:

PS: I measured the water I use to 10 PPM. Does this affect the machine in a negative way, that it is so clean?

No

• Like 1

On 27/04/2021 at 09:45, DavecUK said:
  • There is a kink, blockage or split in the feed tube or any water assembly the bottom of the tank pushes into (unlikely if you don't have water leaking onto the counter and/or have not opened the machine). I make the assumption here that the feed tube (if there is one) is pushed into the tankl and there is no inline filter (because of your water treatment)

@waitz

to be sure (as this sounds similar) - take the water tank out, and remove the rear panel and just check the plastic fitting under the metal tank housing is not cracked. i recall my profi making a similar noise and i had no water on the floor.... until the next day or so when it was everywhere! i was amazed that the fitting could be cracked and not leaking massively, but it seemed to be that way.

it is an issue it seems if you have the original white plastic fitting. easy fix though if it is.

• Like 1