IGNORED

Kafmasino ONE: Advanced coffee made simple

Hello everyone, thank you for the high expectation about our project.

We are two brothers, Sergio and Jorge from Madrid, Spain.

Two years ago we decided to start this project, since both of us value good coffee and we love spending our free time by bringing new projects to life.
It all started as a hobby project  modifying a few coffee machines and adding our own software, but with the time and the progresses we made, we got convinced that Kafmasino could meet with great interest on the market. Two years from that moment and after a lot of work, Kafmasino as a brand is finally born and we are happy to launch our first kick-starter campaign.

We have developed Kafmaŝino One to fulfil the necessity of home baristas who aim to make a perfect espresso. Our main goal is to develop a coffee machine which gives baristas exact, continuous, and consistent control over all the different parameters that the coffee machine provides at an affordable price.

Due to the fact that we are not a factory, to have something reliable we needed to use a base of a machine and install the components that we felt were the best for our goal. After two years of testing and some prototypes later we developed Kafmasino ONE. We have the working prototype, and our suppliers are ready for production.

Obviously, this is an initial prototype that is not closed to future modifications, especially talking about the software, which will continue to be modified and improved to adapt to new needs and expectations of customers.

Now let's talk about our machine and what it offers.

Machine:

• 550ml water boiler
  • Independent thermoblock for steaming
  • Control with physical buttons or with tablet
  • 15 bar Italian vibratory pump
  • 110/120V version 
  •  220V/240V version

App:

• Pressure and flow profiling
  • PID temperature control
  • Real time shot sensor readings
  • Basic profiles based on pressure or flow
  • Advanced profiles with infinite steps of pressure or flow/ limits, triggers…
  • Shot history
  • Community to share and download profiles from the app
  • Gravimetric dosing
  • Volumetric dosing
  • Compatible with all devices (BLE 4.0+)
  • Android and iOS support

Smart Scale:

• 0.1g precision
  • Accurate and reliable readings
  • BLE connection
  • Tablet experience:
  • 8" HD capacitive screen
  • 8 core processor
  • Android 10

We developed Kafmasino ONE for ourselves, and now if you guys are interested, we would love to share it with you!!

We have put all our heart and effort into bringing Kafmasino to life. 
Help us to make more people join our community and get the chance to win a free Kafmasino ONE.

Follow us on Kickstarter

Screenshots:

Coffee tab

CoffeeRunning.thumb.jpg.6b40a206cd4f60efdaa9aca2d92b0b98.jpg

Profile editors:

AdvanceProfileEditor.thumb.jpg.13841612349c08472a89b66b6faa8b3b.jpg

BasicProfileEditor.thumb.jpg.47f1501198bc86ec7c2c7c86d6926c96.jpg

History of shots:

HistoryPanelDetail.thumb.jpg.29d0bf700373a2d206db4c653ee199b0.jpg

Community:

Community3.thumb.png.3cdff2c28f742f4de83f86df8b8e8582.pngCommunity1.thumb.png.a29ddbbff62e2270109d54e0b5868d9f.png

Community4.thumb.png.c414f979da23c5388a0cb5c0b2a33993.png

• Like 7

• DavecUK pinned and featured this topic

Hola Sergio, Jorge! Bienvenidos! 

I have two questions with regards to the machine if you don't mind me asking here:

- Will the software allow you to control the temperature up/down during the shot? (By what I read so far, I don't think it will, but worth asking)
- For controlling pressure profiling... Is this controlled by the pump or is it downstream of the circuit via some sort of device or valve? 

Many thanks!

Ps: Creative choice of name... Literally "Coffee Machine" in Esperanto. 🙂 

• Like 4

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

What I like about this project is that the machine used as baseline is an off-the-shelf machine. Which, hopefully in the future, other machines could be modified/adapted with some sort of kit to perform some of the functionality around pressure and flow profiling, as well as gravimetric and flow control. 

I'm following this with interest. 

• Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

4 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Hola Sergio, Jorge! Bienvenidos! 

I have two questions with regards to the machine if you don't mind me asking here:

- Will the software allow you to control the temperature up/down during the shot? (By what I read so far, I don't think it will, but worth asking)
- For controlling pressure profiling... Is this controlled by the pump or is it downstream of the circuit via some sort of device or valve? 

Many thanks!

Ps: Creative choice of name... Literally "Coffee Machine" in Esperanto. 🙂 

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Regarding your questions:
 - Temperature goal is the same during all the shot.
 - Pump is controlled by internal electronic components, which allows us to control power delivered to the pump with precission.

Nice to know you like the origin of the name :)

• Like 2

@Kafmasino Hi Guys! I appreciate that you are launching on Kickstarter soon, but I am sure you already know that there is a wealth of knowledge available on this platform. That means you may receive criticism from some folks and genuine help and praise from others! Without interfering with your Kickstarter, I am sure many members would love any juicy bits you can throw at them! 

• Like 4

In a race between a donkey and a horse, to see who could reach the bottom first..........one side has a commanding lead

6 hours ago, dfk41 said:

@Kafmasino Hi Guys! I appreciate that you are launching on Kickstarter soon, but I am sure you already know that there is a wealth of knowledge available on this platform. That means you may receive criticism from some folks and genuine help and praise from others! Without interfering with your Kickstarter, I am sure many members would love any juicy bits you can throw at them! 

Thanks a lot for your interest! Since we know that there are many people with expertise in this forum, we are open to your comments and opinions.
I recommend you to follow us on social media where we post daily information about Kafmasino.

• Like 1

But the advantage you have here, is the chance to converse with folks who have a far higher understanding, than a lot of 'followers' you will find on your average social media platform. The use of social media certainly is easier for you, but a question, why would you wish to advertise on a forum and then direct its followers away to other social media platforms? If you are posting new info daily, then how hard can it be to copy that info onto this thread for example. Over time, this could build a good additional resource for you.......just a thought@Kafmasino

• Like 4

In a race between a donkey and a horse, to see who could reach the bottom first..........one side has a commanding lead

I noticed mention of a target price of $2500, USD I assume. That would mean probably mean £3000 in the UK and similar increases in much of Europe with VAT etc. If the usual USD to GBP doesn't apply price would still be $3000.

Just what will you offer over a Decent? Why would people buy it rather than a Decent?

TBH when I saw you were basing it on an existing chassis used on a relatively cheap machine I thought you could do a lot better than that price wise.

49 minutes ago, ajohn said:

I noticed mention of a target price of $2500, USD I assume. That would mean probably mean £3000 in the UK and similar increases in much of Europe with VAT etc. If the usual USD to GBP doesn't apply price would still be $3000.

Just what will you offer over a Decent? Why would people buy it rather than a Decent?

TBH when I saw you were basing it on an existing chassis used on a relatively cheap machine I thought you could do a lot better than that price wise.

I can't see any price mentioned anywhere. And they're in Spain ...

I think if people are talking about pricing being "seen somewhere"...it needs to be backed up with a link, because it is more than just speculation at that point! Then speculation becomes "fact" and we've all seen narratives created like this before...where suddenly you can't tell fact from fiction. Very different to saying "looking at the machine, I think it will probably cost 1300 zolpeks, or at least that's what I would expect to pay"

Or simply ask the guys...hey, how much will the Kafmasino ONE cost?

• Like 2

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

14 hours ago, dfk41 said:

But the advantage you have here, is the chance to converse with folks who have a far higher understanding, than a lot of 'followers' you will find on your average social media platform. The use of social media certainly is easier for you, but a question, why would you wish to advertise on a forum and then direct its followers away to other social media platforms? If you are posting new info daily, then how hard can it be to copy that info onto this thread for example. Over time, this could build a good additional resource for you.......just a thought@Kafmasino

We understand your point of view and yes, you are right! We will announce the important information and updates of our development here.

@Steevdee @ajohn @Rob1 @DavecUK We will announce the price once we launch our kickstarter campaign, but we are sure people will like it!!

• Like 1

There is a long history of coffee machine Kickstarter failures, for those interested worth asking questions on what experience they people have of actually scaling up production to timescales , Seen a lot of these things go wrong when big numbers hits and the projects just fail to get off the group.

Remember ask the right questions , do you due diligence and always remember you are not buying a product that there is no guarantee it will actually get made , especially if it gets tied up in patent , copyright challenges. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1

About the price, if i remember well,  once Decent they began to speak about their project, the price was well below the final one, so at this point it's not the main question at least for me. 

Similarity with previous models, is something not really outrageous, if i think about the various "steel cube" on the market, i'm really curious, as always, to see further.

18 minutes ago, Dallah said:

gosh. I wonder whose patents or copyrights these folks might be skating perilously close to?

There is too much prior art eg Vesuvius to get a meaningful patent on items like this.

1 hour ago, ajohn said:

There is too much prior art eg Vesuvius to get a meaningful patent on items like this.

Possibly not on the flow control software and sensors  though , which the Vesuvius has nothing to do with, as its purely an e61 pressure profile machine . Not a real time flow , gravimetric one.