In another thread I said I didn’t really drink espresso.

Of course this led me to dig out and clean my old Delonghi EC220R. (OK stop laughing now. It was the best I could afford in my previous ignorance all those years ago).

So I thought I’d experiment a bit and have a try at an espresso.

15g is what fits in the basket unless I tamp it which makes it choke.

Baratza Encore (yes I know it shouldn’t be able to grind fine enough) set at 3.

Takes 20 seconds to yield 30g dose. Was drinkable though I don’t really know what a good one tastes like. Now the shops are open I plan to go to a decent coffee roaster / cafe and try one on theirs.

Tastes nicer if I grind at 5 and fill the espresso cup which takes 15 seconds.

So am I actually making espresso or am I just kidding myself?

The reason I ask is that I am seriously considering getting a Gaggia Classic but need to justify the expense and the subsequent rabbit hole that will take me down.

2 minutes ago, Tongle said:

If it is pressurised percolation, it is espresso. If it is nice, it is nice.

If you go & try coffee out & that is nicer, then you're making espresso that is a bit less nice.

Espresso definitions historically are fairly broad & loose. Enjoy what you're making, if after a bit more comparison it seems lacking, deal with that when it arises.

Th

Just now, MWJB said:

If it is pressurised percolation, it is espresso. If it is nice, it is nice.

If you go & try coffee out & that is nicer, then you're making espresso that is a bit less nice.

Espresso definitions historically are fairly broad & loose. Enjoy what you're making, if after a bit more comparison it seems lacking, deal with that when it arises.

Ahhhh....very wise words indeed.

Thank you so much.

You know that feeling when you think everyone else is doing it right and your just playing about with an approximation of the real deal?

As you know for other threads I’m only just mastering my Chemex/V60/Clever Dripper / Roasting techniques. 
I can only drink so much coffee in a day! 
You are so right......slow down....enjoy what you already have for now!

• Like 1

I know the feeling. I make what (to me) tastes like nice espresso. better than some of the local cafes but I’d say something maybe lacking when compared to specialty cafe coffee..... always questioning if I can get more out of the beans or is it just a different bean they use that tastes nicer to me ?!?

as you say, rabbit hole. But as long as it’s enjoyable that’s the main thing I guess

8 hours ago, Tongle said:

In another thread I said I didn’t really drink espresso.

Of course this led me to dig out and clean my old Delonghi EC220R. (OK stop laughing now. It was the best I could afford in my previous ignorance all those years ago).

So I thought I’d experiment a bit and have a try at an espresso.

15g is what fits in the basket unless I tamp it which makes it choke.

Baratza Encore (yes I know it shouldn’t be able to grind fine enough) set at 3.

Takes 20 seconds to yield 30g dose. Was drinkable though I don’t really know what a good one tastes like. Now the shops are open I plan to go to a decent coffee roaster / cafe and try one on theirs.

The reason I ask is that I am seriously considering getting a Gaggia Classic but need to justify the expense and the subsequent rabbit hole that will take me down.

The baratza will work fine with your delhongi with a pressurised basket.

If you do upgrade your machine it’s possible to keep using the baratza if you do a couple of mods to it. you can change the calibration and move some washers around to get it grinding a lot finer. a google search should help, i think i found some info on threads here as well. i’m using mine with a classic and getting pretty good results.

55 minutes ago, shaun**** said:

The baratza will work fine with your delhongi with a pressurised basket.

If you do upgrade your machine it’s possible to keep using the baratza if you do a couple of mods to it. you can change the calibration and move some washers around to get it grinding a lot finer. a google search should help, i think i found some info on threads here as well. i’m using mine with a classic and getting pretty good results.

Yeah...thanks. I saw a couple of YT videos showing how to do this. Seems that after getting the cover off it’s just a case of moving a small screw.

Bet I could still cock it up though!

1 minute ago, Tongle said:

Yeah...thanks. I saw a couple of YT videos showing how to do this. Seems that after getting the cover off it’s just a case of moving a small screw.

Bet I could still cock it up though!

moving the screw wasn’t enough for me to get the grind tight enough for good results with the classic, I had to shift some spacers from the top to the bottom of the burr that allow them to get closer together. There is actually a PDF document from baratza that shows you where the spacers are. It not too hard to do.