Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, condy01 said:

I note your comment re "beautiful multi-coloured crema" ... but let's not get started on the topic of crema! lol.  

You will be wanting to scoop it off with a couple of spoons next...🤣

I'm just waiting for some of the cognoscenti to recommend drinking it through a wheat stalk fully biodegradable straw, and getting it under the crema, then drinking all but the crema through the straw. Damn, I'm going to try it next week and make a video.....

Edited by DavecUK

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

15 hours ago, DavecUK said:

You will be wanting to scoop it off with a couple of spoons next...🤣

I'm just waiting for some of the cognoscenti to recommend drinking it through a wheat stalk fully biodegradable straw, and getting it under the crema, then drinking all but the crema through the straw. Damn, I'm going to try it next week and make a video.....

🤣

19 hours ago, Kjk said:

You slow the extraction with a looser grind but you end up trading off beverage strength and having a larger volume so you don't really end up 'over-extracted'. This is one way of working with a lighter roast that would otherwise require an ultra fine grind and a lot of pre-infusion if you were targeting a more 'classic' espresso style.

At the really long ratios, you could argue that it may be better to do a filter brew, but some people enjoy it.

A point that seems to be missed by many. It can do other things as well. Take mandheling. A rather strong bean that has taste notes that are unlikely to be noticed brewed the usual way. It's just too strong. Brewed this way it's possible to get cupping notes out of it rather clearly. Perhaps liken it to an espresso machine style pour over. ;) I bought some to try. Hated it but brewed this way it turned into an interesting drink not that I will buy it again.

On 24/05/2021 at 16:33, DavecUK said:

You will be wanting to scoop it off with a couple of spoons next...

😁 My only thinking about crema is the older my beans get, the paler and more boring it looks. This seems to coincide with some loss of flavour. But I hold no strong opinions about it. I'll go seek out a crema thread before going any further off-topic.