IGNORED

Single origin verses blends

Single Origin versus Blends  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Only allowed to choose one option! I prefer to drink.........

• Single Origin
    • Blends

I thought it might be interesting to see what folk drink. I appreciate that most of us probably flip flop around, but if you had to make a choice, in a poll would you select Single Origin beans, or Blends? This is regardless of roasting style

1808484491_dfk41toffee2.JPG.78120b8fa5b4a1ac62bd0d035cf72d1f.JPG

I cant vote, i drink both and am guided by tasting notes as opposed to how they get there, I am a lot less fussy about blends than i was 5 years ago

Nowadays look for something that says espresso suitable as opposed to omni roasters ( a lot of which I find just too under developed ) .

Ultimately i want something that matches the tasting notes and or that I enjoy 

• Like 1

I do drink blends from time to time, most commonly for espresso. Mostly I drink single origins as filter.

Same here. I enjoy blended coffee. Primarily for espresso.

For filters 9 out of 10 times I go SO.

I think blends are looked down on a little but I think about it like wine. Sure you can get cheapo stuff thrown together to make a crappy blend to hide defects but then there is Champagne!

David

• Like 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Bezzera machines back in stock!

I mostly go for origin and expect to match taste notes. Blends now and again out of curiosity. Always in an americano.

It's a tricky one, I drink single origins to understand and appreciate them, but it also allows me to figure out what would work well together in a 2 or 3 bean blend. I actually intended to go make myself a 50/50 blend now, of Rawandan Nyungwe and Brazillian Daterra Sweet collection. Fortunately with a single doser like Niche or Solo, it's easy.

Would I "personally" buy a blend...no. I prefer to mix together the single origins myself. That's me of course, some people like the reliability of a blend and trust the roaster to do that for them

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

Most of the beans, which we purchased so far are the SO for brews. However, we really liked the blackcat’s signature blend over the chocolate point; we are looking forward to trying the signature blend on the V leva. 

Edited by Like Medium Strong Coffee

“Whatever you are, be a good one.” - Abraham Lincoln

4 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

It's a tricky one, I drink single origins to understand and appreciate them, but it also allows me to figure out what would work well together in a 2 or 3 bean blend. I actually intended to go make myself a 50/50 blend now, of Rawandan Nyungwe and Brazillian Daterra Sweet collection. Fortunately with a single doser like Niche or Solo, it's easy.

Would I "personally" buy a blend...no. I prefer to mix together the single origins myself. That's me of course, some people like the reliability of a blend and trust the roaster to do that for them

oh thats interesting - i had never thought of doing a self blend approach. it does answer one of my questions which is whether bends were done before or after roasting. (sigh - so much to learn)

on the subject of blends - it would be wrong not to mention the half caff blend from @BlackCatCoffee as an optimist i see it as a best of both worlds 🙂 

• Like 2

I usually drink blends as a matter of "convenience" so that I can get a tasty profile into my espresso shot to either drink as is or in a flat white.

I haven't gone down the rabbit hole of SO coffee yet... I do wonder sometimes why SO beans are often 20-30% more expensive than a roaster's blend when they often used the same quality (score-wise) in the blends.

Almost always drink SOs. Haven't found a blend that does it for me - yet.

• Like 1

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

46 minutes ago, jonr2 said:

oh thats interesting - i had never thought of doing a self blend approach. it does answer one of my questions which is whether bends were done before or after roasting. (sigh - so much to learn)

on the subject of blends - it would be wrong not to mention the half caff blend from @BlackCatCoffee as an optimist i see it as a best of both worlds 🙂 

im a regular home-made half-caff blend - first of the day.  bulk of caff is signature blend.  but main drink through the day is single

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

How do you folks deal with left-over beans from one SO bag, when the other SO pack is opened? Unless it is chucked away (I don’t like wasting beans), a blend is automatically created. 

If I can't make a dose or something close from what's left I bin them. Maybe I should try making the dose up with some bean that I happen to have. :) I had a bit of this using an SGB on a BE and the single. Cleaning the grinder out caused misbehaviour for a number of shots so just put the next one in. Not much a carry over but it could just be tasted for one single shot of ~9g. It did tempt me to try blending myself but never got round to it.

1 minute ago, ajohn said:

If I can't make a dose or something close from what's left I bin them. Maybe I should try making the dose up with some bean that I happen to have. :) I had a bit of this using an SGB on a BE and the single. Cleaning the grinder out caused misbehaviour for a number of shots so just put the next one in. Not much a carry over but it could just be tasted for one single shot of ~9g. It did tempt me to try blending myself but never got round to it.

Will be interesting to hear what you thought of them. Hopefully, you won’t see the need to bin them, because it is a waste of hard-earned resources. 🙂

“Whatever you are, be a good one.” - Abraham Lincoln

26 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

@Like Medium Strong Coffee I don't...it's just I hate to waste coffee, so always blend leftovers

Me too! I've been known to route around on the floor for a single coffee bean that's rolled under something probably horribly grubby. A quick dust off, 3 second rule and its good to go!

• Like 6