IGNORED

Classified Ads System - Help and Feedback thread (please be nice to me)

DavecUK

I would have commented on the other thread but was closed. Used to be a place coffee lovers could grab or pass a bargain to a fellow coffee lover with niche listing remaining it feels very anti this community that I joined.

In addition the classified are really hard to navigate why can't it just be list it takes ages to scroll through all the different price ranges/ categories

• Like 2

@tommyp215 You obviously have not looked at them properly. There are price brackets so, if for example you want a coffee machine that you expect to cost £1500, you can click on the relevant heading and only see relevant sales. This does mean you do not have to trawl through reams of irrelevant sales.

What could be easier than that?

L A L A T C...........29 and counting

41 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

@tommyp215 You obviously have not looked at them properly. There are price brackets so, if for example you want a coffee machine that you expect to cost £1500, you can click on the relevant heading and only see relevant sales. This does mean you do not have to trawl through reams of irrelevant sales.

I've commented on this before. The UX on a phone is pretty terrible, i.e. the carousels can display one item at a time, wonky to scroll and most importantly there's no reason for that. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Zeak said:

I've commented on this before. The UX on a phone is pretty terrible, i.e. the carousels can display one item at a time, wonky to scroll and most importantly there's no reason for that. 

It's fine on my Android phone. If it's not fine on your phone, just browse the classifieds archive...which looks exactly the same as the old for sale forum...when you find what you want...click the view advert button.

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/38-classifieds-archive/

Edited by DavecUK

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

10 hours ago, dfk41 said:

I disagree with your assumptions. You appear to be assuming ppl only look at the sale section when looking to buy. I personally enjoy browsing it gives you a good idea of prices items go for and what are good deals,as well allowing you to discover kit you didn't know about. The previous sale forum never took up more than 1 page of items since I had last looked at them ( Browing 1-2 times a week) and it was easy to scroll past items I had no interest in. It takes much longer to got onto all the separate categories to get an idea of everything that is for sale.

I gave Dave's suggestion above a go it looks the same but how many users know about this? I didn't. 

Perhaps it would be useful to look at the number of sales / posts per month on the  classified compared to the old sale section and this give a fair reflection of how popular each is/was. Happy to be proved wrong. 

1 hour ago, tommyp215 said:

I disagree with your assumptions. You appear to be assuming ppl only look at the sale section when looking to buy. I personally enjoy browsing it gives you a good idea of prices items go for and what are good deals,as well allowing you to discover kit you didn't know about. The previous sale forum never took up more than 1 page of items since I had last looked at them ( Browing 1-2 times a week) and it was easy to scroll past items I had no interest in. It takes much longer to got onto all the separate categories to get an idea of everything that is for sale.

I gave Dave's suggestion above a go it looks the same but how many users know about this? I didn't. 

Perhaps it would be useful to look at the number of sales / posts per month on the  classified compared to the old sale section and this give a fair reflection of how popular each is/was. Happy to be proved wrong. 

Are you as happy to be proven wrong as you are happy to take on the work of maintaining the old system? 

@tommyp215 The new Classifieds run themselves without the need for any mod intervention. If you were a mod, then you would be happy to let technology work for you. It is just a wholly more professional looking system. You are really objecting to change and I understand that, but, sometimes change is simply to make something easier/better

L A L A T C...........29 and counting

9 hours ago, dfk41 said:

@tommyp215 The new Classifieds run themselves without the need for any mod intervention. If you were a mod, then you would be happy to let technology work for you. It is just a wholly more professional looking system. You are really objecting to change and I understand that, but, sometimes change is simply to make something easier/better

I'm agree change is necessary and if it helps the mods I have no problem with that. I think where we beg to differ whether this change is indeed better. However I'm quite happy to browse through the classified archived as it seems the same as Dave suggested. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, tommyp215 said:

1. I gave Dave's suggestion above a go it looks the same but how many users know about this? I didn't. 

2. Perhaps it would be useful to look at the number of sales / posts per month on the  classified compared to the old sale section and this give a fair reflection of how popular each is/was. Happy to be proved wrong. 

1. The presence of the archive and the ways people could use it was actually covered in this thread during and after launch of the new system.

2. The number of adverts per month is about the same and actually rising as people have got used to the system. We're in some fairly quiet months for forums, esp with lockdown being eased.

The number of posts in classifieds is down, for obvious reasons...They are now items for sale and not discussion topics. If the forum wanted to keep the meaningless post count artificially high, as some do, then the old system would be better in that respect. There are far less rules, advert format is more tightly controlled, so we don't have to interfere with things like...you need to do x, y, or z.

The best thing of all...there is no "gaming" of for sale items...The transactions between buyer and seller, are as they should be. The old system was also a complete mess, I had to clean up 1000s of adverts that were sold, wrong, old mistakes whatever.

The system "almost" runs itself, or seems to...I personally keep an eye on things. For people that want the old system...in a way you have it, or the new view if you want it.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.