IGNORED

Niche and static

In the time I have owned a Niche (from the start), I have never had static problems. Then, over the past few days it has been quite bad. For some strange reason, and I have no idea why, I thoroughly washed the grinds cup, used it and lo and behold, no static.......now, I do not claim to have invented anything, but £5 notes in brown envelopes to the usual address!

• Like 4

Bye Bye...........come back when you have less time.........or better still, please do not bother

Dam. I missed out on some £5 notes as found that ages ago. ;) Oily beans. I even have to clean it's funnel at time as it gets super greasy and  does strange things to the grinds rate.

19 minutes ago, ajohn said:

Dam. I missed out on some £5 notes as found that ages ago. ;) Oily beans. I even have to clean it's funnel at time as it gets super greasy and  does strange things to the grinds rate.

I understand but I know you like oily MM....the beans I am currently on are medium plus a very little bit, so there is really no need to wash the cup......and anyway, you will have no choice! Your problem is not static but oil!

Bye Bye...........come back when you have less time.........or better still, please do not bother

I am recently having this issue as well.

Decaf, caf doesnt matter, have always grinds stuck at the bottom of the grinds cup. Which needs a good few bashings on the worktop to get them.

Thought it might be the humidity levels around this time of the year but it is around %40-%55 which is pretty average.

Only thing i started to freeze beans recently and use them from freezer, not immediately but get about 100gr out from a night before and keep them in a sealed bag or single dose jars.

Do you freeze your beans as well?

@Inspector dont freeze them but vacuum pack

2 hours ago, Hrti said:

There is a new grind cup available from Niche (https://nichespares.com/collections/niche-zero-accessories/products/niche-grind-cup). The inside is now polished, and the little notch on the inside is removed

Does the new batches come with the new style cup or is it delivered with the same cup as previous models I wonder

Are we not adding a touch of water to the beans to reduce static?

I saw Hoffman doing it on YouTube and gave it a go it has a pretty remarkable effect.

I don't spray into the hopper like he seems to so but I had be the beans a stir with a wet spoon or finger!

I just wash the can now and again. Months before it's needed. ;) Bit of a problem recently as I didn't dry it completely.

Static as far as sticking to the can on mine stopped after a few months. Much like the OP's seem to have done and then after a rather long time it's started again.

Hoffman dips the handle of a teaspoon around 25mm into water and stirs with that. IMHO it's a waste of time.

For what it’s worth, I clean my Niche cup once a month - when I dismantle and clean the grinder. No clinging issues noticed. I do this at the same frequency as puly caff cleaning and lubing the cam on the E61 - Profitec P600.

After a few goes, it has become a fairly swift process - though it did take longer when it was all strange and new.

Regards,
John

The instructions for cleaning the yeast dispenser on my bread maker state to never wipe clean with a dry cloth. Always use a damp cloth and allow to dry naturally. Wiping with a dry cloth causes static and makes the yeast stick.

Using a dry paint brush or cloth to clean out coffee grinds from catch cups will probably have the same effect?