IGNORED

Not round coffee beans

A little question, maybe I am simple minded but given a standard dose for coffee is 18g why do roasters make 250g bags? That does round to a nice even dose 13.89 shots is what I make it! I understand we don’t all have zero retention grinders, etc but I normally have leftovers.

What do you folk do with the leftover beans at the end? Mix up with some from your next bag?

Different machines will have different basket sizes (but admittedly many would be 18g),but that's not a single dose size. We try and get the right weight but do we split individual half-cherries to get to exactly 18g? I think there will be tolerance there. As coffees age they release gas so that start of 250 will reduce slightly.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

I often spot the occasional bean escaping.

Making a break for freedom and bouncing behind the cooker. 🤣

Very true I had a few escapees this morning! 😂

51 minutes ago, AndyDClements said:

Different machines will have different basket sizes (but admittedly many would be 18g),but that's not a single dose size. We try and get the right weight but do we split individual half-cherries to get to exactly 18g? I think there will be tolerance there. As coffees age they release gas so that start of 250 will reduce slightly.

Hahaha I don’t quite split them in half sometimes I try to pick a smaller bean out to get it closer to the 18g for a single dose. I also appreciate obviously we have different brew methods which require different typical dosing etc.

It was a sleepy morning thought as I had 15g left from one roaster and my next bag was a completely different roaster so I was at a cross roads as what to do. I ended up mixing and hoping for the best 😂

Oh, and the 250g bag probably isn't 250g to start with. It will be close to 250g but some roasters may add a few grams just to be sure it's not under weight, others may work on an average weight approach (could be signified by the e estimated symbol).

Yeah the rationale is just a quarter of a kilo. Some still sell in 227g (half a pound) and some by 200g (Union for example). Dose varies so you're unlikely to get an exact number from a bag whatever you try. I've found that on average, one bean weighs roughly 0.2g and that's close enough. Plus, if you find that having put that bean in, you get 18.1g out and you're dead set on having 18.0g then knocking off a tiny bit of grinds is easier than trying to single- dose half a bean!

As for the end of a bag, I will either use it for aeropress (around 14g) and then take the opportunity to take the top off and clean the burrs, or if I've done that recently then I'll just top up with the next bean and play "Roasters roulette". End-of-bag Blend is unrepeatable but often very pleasant (and in any case better than wasting good beans!)

In my case the bottomless portafilter with IMS basket takes 18g, whereas the stock portafilter and basket is better with 16g. 

It normally seems to end up as one 18 and two 16s per day or 50g. So a 250g bag in theory does 5 days, always seem to have a couple of grams left at the end though.

2 hours ago, hotmetal said:

Yeah the rationale is just a quarter of a kilo. Some still sell in 227g (half a pound) and some by 200g (Union for example).

Ah, thank you. 

I could never work out why one company I have used offers 220g bags of coffee. 

1 hour ago, Dave_E said:

Ah, thank you. 

I could never work out why one company I have used offers 220g bags of coffee. 

Burgers come in packs of 4 but Burger buns come in packs of 6.... One of the mysteries of the universe

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

Burgers come in packs of 4 but Burger buns come in packs of 6.... One of the mysteries of the universe
Naa that's just so that when your wife's vegan friends come over for a barbecue you can have four burgers for you and the family and give the vegans the two extra buns.
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, AnthonyTD said:
16 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Naa that's just so that when your wife's vegan friends come over for a barbecue you can have four burgers for you and the family and give the vegans the two extra buns.

Even better - the griller and his best mate get double patties 😆

@P1Fanatic There is the other problem.

The burgers contract when you cook them, often ending up like a meatball or a bit larger than a £2 coin. Now you can flatten them out a lot between cling film, so they're really big and thin...but they just break the laws of physics and shrink down to the size they would have been if you had not bothered. Then you got this tiny thing in a massive bun.

Edited by DavecUK

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

Jees you guys are getting ripped off hey.

One of the only advantages of living here in the a$$ end of the world.
Good quality food at cheap prices.

Our local butcher was selling ostrich burger patties the other day. Real nice, about 2-3 inches in diameter and at least an inch thick.

Also had wildebeest patties, will try those next time!

Well that and we also we have this thing called a sun that makes our climate very enjoyable all year round [emoji23]

• Like 2