IGNORED

CFUK Classified System (testing)

This system is currently being tested, so you may see adverts and items which are simply test items. View them if you want and even ask questions. It has to be partially enabled for us to continue testing.

Continue  to use the existing classified ads area as normal.....

Nothing here...

Now I don't know how many people read the announcements...well I know it's had 67 views, and I think that's 67 people 🤣

To keep you updated:

• Smartphone integration issues (solved), forum has a good smartphone interface and it's working well now
  • Tapatalk Integration, unsure...don't use it and Tapatalk takes control of so many basic forum functions (if bits don't work well there's probably nothing we can do)
  • Historic sold items search and records (resolved, without cluttering application)...all members will have access to those, as they did before
  • Launch is very soon and existing adverts will have to be relisted by members...we can't import them, as will be obvious when you see the application
  • Google Maps integration (being investigated)
  • Voucher Integration (being investigated)
  • Existing For Sale, Wanted etc.. System...will be archived...so nothing will be lost...and all areas locked to read only.
  • Most rules that applied to the sales are etc.. will be unnecessary, there will be very few rules needed.
  • Pay it forward section still to be built by me

You will have seen all sorts of strange products and can view them, but I have not enabled questions, or advert creation yet...feel free to view but please bear in mind nothing there is real or for sale. The system will be cleared down and reinitialised before launch.

We're trying for a soft launch As soon as possible, during which time we will deal with teething problems as fast as we can. I am quite familiar with the product now, so problems should be dealt with swiftly and easily.

Why are we doing this

• Fraud has been an issue, we want to help ensure that's not so much of a problem by knowing more about people listing items (as usual when selling Caveat Emptor still applies
  • The existing system is open to all sorts of abuse which can affect the sale of items and the prices members obtain (I won't go into it, for obvious reasons). This system should prevent much of this
  • Unfairness in the existing system, or being a victim of the rules, which are designed to make a simple forum area act as a classified sales area..always destined to be an issue
  • More professional
  • Don't have to understand an encycopedia of rules
  • Prevents what we call (activation spam), where people post crap to get to 5 posts
  • centralisation and organisation

There are quite a few other reasons, but as you start using the system, I hope they will become obvious. It's not a cheap tool for us to buy and has to be relicensed on a regular basis. We believe it's necessary and will make the forum better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing here...

@DavecUK - great work Dave. I have to say though... it doesn’t work well on the iPad in terms of responsive layout. Happy to work with you to sort those out. I don’t think it’s a difficult problem to solve, just a matter of re-arranging the layout and let the components flow better on the page (bootstrap grid maybe?)

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

I was one of the viewers, and thought how much of an improvement it was. Reflecting the fact that a normal thread is  a discussion where all posts can be equal, an item for sale generally the first post is the one that carries most weight as it says what is for sale etc. Another forum that uses the same platform doesn't use that classifieds as profficiently as what's planned here, so I can appreciate it must have taken a lot of effort.

I did think that perhaps you've made yourself more work by splitting up price points, but can see how some would need it (if your budget is £250 for example what is the point looking through listings that include machines at £500+), so great that the work has been put in pro-actively on that, ditto categories split.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, AndyDClements said:

1. I was one of the viewers, and thought how much of an improvement it was. Reflecting the fact that a normal thread is  a discussion where all posts can be equal, an item for sale generally the first post is the one that carries most weight as it says what is for sale etc. Another forum that uses the same platform doesn't use that classifieds as profficiently as what's planned here, so I can appreciate it must have taken a lot of effort.

2. I did think that perhaps you've made yourself more work by splitting up price points, but can see how some would need it (if your budget is £250 for example what is the point looking through listings that include machines at £500+), so great that the work has been put in pro-actively on that, ditto categories split.

1. The idea was to give a system that was fair, not easy to fall foul of rules and that couldn't be "gamed/abused", whether knowingly or unknowingly.

2. I have made myself a shedload of work especially as some of the functions absolutely don't work as they should (bugs) and I spent a happy hour redoing a load of work because of it! The problem is I had to do it like this....I wish I didn't but the other way there be monsters. The system is designed to work a certain way, which is not the way we work....so I twisted it to meet members needs. It's a system primarily intended to link with the e-commerce function of the site...and trust me when I say, had I linked it, although my job would have been super simple....you all wouldn't have liked me very much! So I had to find a workable way around NOT using the e-commerce function.

Oh yes I forgot to mention, the system will be based around offers...so the budget can be stretched and people can reach (as they always do), sometimes that reach exceeds their grasp....but not always!

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Nothing here...

• DavecUK locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic