IGNORED

Genuinely feel like chucking all my coffee equipment

Crema

@MWJB Makes a good point...There's Origin and bean type..So there could be I dunno 60 origins, from Brazil, Nicaragua, Mexico, Kenya, Sumatra etc.. Within that there are many types of beans catuaii, yellow bourbon, bourbon, typica, munduo novo, sl 28, sl 32 etc.. etc.. Possibly 30 or 40 varietals. Then within each area you get regions and Microclimates within regions for beans. e.g. Brazil, has 14 coffee growing regions

After that you get the different processing methods e.g. natural,. Pulped natural, Honey process, semi washed, dry etc.. etc..

A region typically has coffee varietals that grows best, but Jamaica Blue mountain root stock can be grown in Australia, and it's similar but different (cheaper too).

So just an approximation  60 origins x 12 regions x 20 types of bean x 7 processing method...gives literally 1000s of combinations...I won't like them all, but by god I'd like to try as many of them as I can. The range of flavours is truly staggering.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 3

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

On 03/04/2021 at 13:08, Crema said:

I’m new to the coffee game but all I can churn out are awful cups and I just buy cups of coffee when I’m out despite spending money on a 2007 OPV modded gaggia classic for 9 bar espresso.

I’ve ordered bean brothers beans, costa espresso beans. They smell amazing, but taste like nothing like I buy on the high street once I’ve tried to make something decent with them. I’ve adjusted the grinder and this thing gets ridiculously fine but I can’t seem to get where I want with it. I have a 1zpresso JX hand grinder as I don’t have the bucks for an electronic one. I truly believe the JX can achieve what’s required however.

I weigh 18g out after grinding (previously 15g), I level then tamp.

I tried to get a screen read of the scale mid shot as the cup fills too quickly and it doesn’t make it 30 seconds before overflowing. The flow from the portafilter is fast and there is a lot coming at once. 

I just rinse it down the drain and consider selling my setup. Can anyone help me love this hobby again because it feels like more trouble than it’s worth. Scale read below

515287E9-4EF0-43A0-A6ED-E03C016F8232.jpeg

How you getting on? Still brewing away?

• Like 1

On 09/04/2021 at 12:24, DavecUK said:

@MWJB Makes a good point...There's Origin and bean type..So there could be I dunno 60 origins, from Brazil, Nicaragua, Mexico, Kenya, Sumatra etc.. Within that there are many types of beans catuaii, yellow bourbon, bourbon, typica, munduo novo, sl 28, sl 32 etc.. etc.. Possibly 30 or 40 varietals. Then within each area you get regions and Microclimates within regions for beans. e.g. Brazil, has 14 coffee growing regions

After that you get the different processing methods e.g. natural,. Pulped natural, Honey process, semi washed, dry etc.. etc..

A region typically has coffee varietals that grows best, but Jamaica Blue mountain root stock can be grown in Australia, and it's similar but different (cheaper too).

So just an approximation  60 origins x 12 regions x 20 types of bean x 7 processing method...gives literally 1000s of combinations...I won't like them all, but by god I'd like to try as many of them as I can. The range of flavours is truly staggering.

That makes every coffee journey unique ^^ Every step one can try something new, or just enjoy a known and liked flavour. The classical exploitation vs exploration question haha

• Like 1

@Crema have you checked out one of @MrShades PID kits...he is doing a lot to make the Gaggias as good as they can be

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

Hey guys. Got the chocolate point blend. Smells amazing and I haven’t even opened it.

Before I get pulling shots, should I start my timer as I push the pump button or as the coffee starts to emerge from the portafilter and what yield should I aim for in this set timeframe. Many thanks. I’m terrible with ratios.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Crema said:

Hey guys. Got the chocolate point blend. Smells amazing and I haven’t even opened it.

Before I get pulling shots, should I start my timer as I push the pump button or as the coffee starts to emerge from the portafilter and what yield should I aim for in this set timeframe. Many thanks. I’m terrible with ratios.

Start the timer as you start the pump, stop the timer as you stop the pump.

You aim for the ratio, not the time, you just record the time for completeness.

Aim 1:3 to start with. Use grind to steer the flavour balance.

• Like 1

Don't worry about it too much adjust finer or coarser and adjust ratio based on taste rather than the time it took to get the shot. You might, for example, grind at one setting and pull a 1:3 in 35 seconds and using the same grind setting get a 1:2 in less than 30 seconds, there's no need to alter the grind setting to get them both in the same time but you might want to alter grind setting to alter how it tastes (which will alter shot time at the same ratio). You can by all means aim for a shot time of about 30 seconds if you want and it might help you get things in the right ballpark but it equally may not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Crema said:

So, when you say 1:3 ratio. I weigh out 18g, I aim for a 54g yield ideally within the 20-30 second mark

My advice is personally start very fine, almost choking the machine. If you have the patience taste the outcome at 1:1 1:2 1:3 then adjust the grind setting coarser. 

I drink 4 coffees a day normally. So I am doing this to see how it can take different. 

I have had 1 or 2 really nice shots but it was liquorice 🤷‍♂️ I love it, but it'd not the notes, so am I still going on my journey coarser. 

I also ignore my shot if I notice the time was especially quick, and I noticed there was channeling. So I might keep the same grind setting for the next day. 

I am having fun with this method. Its slow. But I have drunk all my drinks, never wasted one and get to practice my latte art 😁

• Like 2

On 12/04/2021 at 15:34, Crema said:

Got the chocolate point blend. Smells amazing and I haven’t even opened it.

I hope you get on better with this. I am on my second bag and have got it tasting really nice with every shot. It has only taken me nearly 4 months to get to this point so don’t despair! 😂

• Like 1

I'm late to this thread, but it struck a chord with me.

I'm 2 months in, and for the money spent (£1000!) it's been (bean!) a disappointment.

For me personally, speciality coffee has not shown the step up in quality of craft beer, homemade bacon, sourdough, chocolate, home smoking, or in fact any other foodstuff. (Had a Delonghi B2C for 12 years.)
I was a teenage wuss, but I've even managed to get into weightlifting at home in my late 40s.
I can "do" hobbies.

We mostly drink Americano, and my ladywife is now getting pissed off with it being at best drinkable, at worst horrible.
I can see we're getting more flavour, and different flavours, but rarely nice flavours.

Even when I did find one I liked - Black Cat Twilight - when I bought a kg it was very different (nowhere near as nice) and it's still sitting there, glowering at me.
The Coffee Compass dark selection was decent.

[Am hitting 18g in, 38g out in 30 seconds, grinder is aligned. Temperature 90C, 10-11bar.]

Mind you, I do like the espresso output. The V60 stuff was horrible.
I spent £35 with Bailies on their lighter stuff - floral, flowery. Like tea. Totally awful.
Why do the descriptions of each bean by all roasters spend 500 words telling you about the farmer, the weather, the school, Old Uncle Pepe, and 3 words on what it might taste like (but probably won't).
If you read a beer or wine or bourbon description you might not get it 100%, but you mostly will.

I have bought a bag of Lavassa Intenso (their darkest) in the cupboard to see if it's speciality coffee we don't like.

Thank you, that was very therapeutic. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, antinwales said:

[Am hitting 18g in, 38g out in 30 seconds, grinder is aligned. Temperature 90C, 10-11bar.]

I don't want to sound condescending, but I think this might be part of your problem. This seems too rigid a set of parameters, especially sticking to 30s. How would you describe the shots you are mostly getting, do they have a consistent fault?

5 minutes ago, antinwales said:

Mind you, I do like the espresso output. The V60 stuff was horrible.

V60 often does better with lighter roasted coffee, but you need to control the pour rate.

9 minutes ago, antinwales said:

We mostly drink Americano

When you say Americano, how much liquid are your final drinks? I'm just wondering whether, if the drinks are on the longer side, an alternative brew method might b an idea (not a replacement for espresso/V60, but maybe as a simpler, safer bet for at least drinkable coffee)?

• Like 1

@antinwales In addition to Marks comments

• what is it you're not liking about the coffee you are making, too bitter, acid, other
  • are the americanos with milk or without
  • what beans are you using (origins)
  • what equipment have you got
  • what grinder

33 minutes ago, MWJB said:

I don't want to sound condescending, but I think this might be part of your problem. This seems too rigid a set of parameters, especially sticking to 30s. How would you describe the shots you are mostly getting, do they have a consistent fault?

V60 often does better with lighter roasted coffee, but you need to control the pour rate.

When you say Americano, how much liquid are your final drinks? I'm just wondering whether, if the drinks are on the longer side, an alternative brew method might b an idea (not a replacement for espresso/V60, but maybe as a simpler, safer bet for at least drinkable coffee)?

i) Don't worry about seeming condescending - I work in IT support, so am condescending all day. If you dish it out you have to be able to take it. 😀
All those figures are approx, and will change a little. I just meant that my production is in the right ballpark.
The problem isn't "too bitter" or "too sour" - just "How is this 'better' coffee? I preferred the B2C output"

ii) I think the LSOD ones aren't for me, I can move on. The V60 will come in handy somewhere (am going to try a coffee cocktail with it at the weekend).

iii) Americano would be about 45g coffee added to 125g hot water.
I could get the filter machine out of the garage.
It does have the advantage of being able to be put on a timer, so I could go and get it, and be back in bed, in 90 seconds.
Do you want to buy an espresso machine and grinder?

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

@antinwales In addition to Marks comments

• what is it you're not liking about the coffee you are making, too bitter, acid, other
  • are the americanos with milk or without
  • what beans are you using (origins)
  • what equipment have you got
  • what grinder

- It's not a particular taste problem, just not getting it. I'm not sure I could tell bitter from acid anyway. If you drink a can of John Smiths, then a craft IPA, you don't know why it's better, you just know it is.

- Black

- All sorts. Mostly darker. Currently Extract 'Espresso' - I can sort of get the fruityness, but it's not overly pleasant. 
Before that Bailies Umbra - just not nice. Before that the disappointing batch of Twilight. Before that the decent Coffee Compass dark range although, again, we're not going "Wow, where have you been all my life?"

- Lelit Grace / Eureka Mignon Specialita. V60.

Actually, saying that, the teenager thought the V60-made Bailies was "nice". I just thought it no better than from the ancient filter machine.

@antinwales it might be worth steering away from "espresso coffees" and just getting some really good quality medium roast Brazilian... It will do a wide range of coffees including espresso, filter etc... Then go back to basics and experiment with dose, ratio and temp on that one bean until you can start to control the results.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, antinwales said:

i) Don't worry about seeming condescending - I work in IT support, so am condescending all day. If you dish it out you have to be able to take it. 😀
All those figures are approx, and will change a little. I just meant that my production is in the right ballpark.
The problem isn't "too bitter" or "too sour" - just "How is this 'better' coffee? I preferred the B2C output"

ii) I think the LSOD ones aren't for me, I can move on. The V60 will come in handy somewhere (am going to try a coffee cocktail with it at the weekend).

iii) Americano would be about 45g coffee added to 125g hot water.
I could get the filter machine out of the garage.
It does have the advantage of being able to be put on a timer, so I could go and get it, and be back in bed, in 90 seconds.

From what I can gather your issue is with the notion of "speciality" coffee and it not living up to your expectations from what you want from a coffee. Perhaps a simple experiment of finding a decent local coffee shop and trying what they make and then trying to replicate it will help? I struggle to believe that you won't find something you like as there's so much variety, although this is often a problem in itself. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, antinwales said:

Ha ha, thanks but no...already have too much gear. :-)

I don't know the B2C you have (or anything much about any of them), but I wouldn't be surprised if it brews at a longer brew ratio. 

At 18:170g finally in the cup, you have room to pull somewhat longer shots (maybe try 1:3.5) to make an Americano from. This can allow higher extractions (less sour), also a bit weaker & easier to pick up notes. You might need to grind a little coarser & taste everything from 20s upwards.

Also, maybe a Clever dripper fast brew 36:340g might be worth a try? Draw down into a server, mix, then divide between cups?

1 hour ago, antinwales said:

Thank you, that was very therapeutic. 

Thanks for making me laugh.

You seem to be stuck in web wonderland were coffee is exact - 1 to 2 and 30sec land. Sticking to 30sec is not a bad idea but variations around that wont have dramatic effects - it's why people weigh out as the shot is being pulled. Ratio tends to have the main effect. Say 10sec change in time up or down and that can too.

You need to generate and taste several ratios. They needn't be precise to see what happens to taste. Say 2, 2.5 and 3 but I did use one bean that needed a ratio of 5 to show any signs of life. For me I usually find over 3 doesn't suite. 2 is unusual. It's ok with one I am using at the moment.

You don't say which machine or grinder which may influence how you need to work.

• Like 2