IGNORED

Espresso Starved In Newcastle - Doing It Myself

Hello CFUK - jms here, living in Gosforth in Newcastle

Since lockdown, I’ve been working from home and missing the great city centre espressos (for the locals - office is between Laneway & Co and Pink Lane). It’s slowly dawned on me in the past six months that I could be doing it myself.... and that the old DeLonghi/pressure basket/Lavazza Rossa combo I use to wake myself up in the morning isn’t going to cut it. 

The way in which I learn is trial and error - I know fine well my first machine/grinder/peripherals setup won’t be my last, but I’ll use it to learn the variables. (Predictably?) I’ve got a refurbed 2004 Gaggia Classic on the way and am researching used grinders too (renewability mainly - cost too). Once I’m more established here, I’lI be onto the “Wanted” forums with around £200 to get a starter grinder. 

That’s it really - just wanted to say hello, give some context for who I am and where I am. I’m looking forward to getting to know you all - all the best from Newcastle

• Like 1

Bit off topic but have you tried gold box roastery. Local to you in the sense it’s based in the town centre. Right by centre for life. Excellent coffee, best I’ve had from the local roasters in Newcastle. 
currently shut for walk ins but do delivery 

good luck with finding a grinder etc

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RobDGio said:

Bit off topic but have you tried gold box roastery. Local to you in the sense it’s based in the town centre. Right by centre for life. Excellent coffee, best I’ve had from the local roasters in Newcastle. 

If my little grey cells are right, Gold Box are part of a larger local coffee business who have many parts to their empire. I have had their stuff but I would classify it more in the coffee shop market than the artisan. Have you had a look at some of the deals our own sponsors offer?

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/100-discounts-special-offers-from-our-advertisers/

I am NE23 by the way and always willing to help or learn from anyone local! Unless you are south of the river in which case you can swivel......LOL

• Like 3

1463830143_samuraihaiku.JPG.41ff3ef269d9a77f23a0c63ae6fd29a7.JPG

@dfk41 my gran (lived in North Shields all her life) was adamant that The South started half way across the Tyne. 

• Like 2

Coffee. Because murder is wrong. 

47 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

If my little grey cells are right, Gold Box are part of a larger local coffee business who have many parts to their empire. I have had their stuff but I would classify it more in the coffee shop market than the artisan. Have you had a look at some of the deals our own sponsors offer?

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/100-discounts-special-offers-from-our-advertisers/

I am NE23 by the way and always willing to help or learn from anyone local! Unless you are south of the river in which case you can swivel......LOL

Cheers man - appreciate the insight regards sponsors. Still learning my way around so guidance appreciated. 

I’m in NE3, so north of the Wall and River... perhaps I’d best not mention I was born in Hartlepool eh?

looking forward to getting to know you and rest of the forum!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RobDGio said:

Cheers for ref regards Golden Box - I’ve been a bit of a marketeers dream and been tempted in by shop fronts rather than content of the roasters. Will shift focus!

all the best and look forward to the journey

@dfk41 I think you are right. They definitely also have another side to the business that converts vehicles into mobile coffee vans etc. 
Might be worth trying them again regarding their coffee, I’ve had plenty of coffee from black cats thanks to this forum as well as rave which I’ve been really happy with but definitely found gold box to be on par and my favourite coffees have been from their. 

can I ask if you get your coffee from anywhere local or from one of the forum sponsors? (Always keen to try new places) 

I often buy from Tynemouth Coffee. I like many of their blends but they do not do SO beans, again, roasting mainly for cafes etc. I try to support those who support the forum on a regular basis and have been very impressed with the Little Fin Brazil offering. I also use Coffee Compass a lot and regularly buy random bags from here, there and everywhere! I amp aiting for delivery of a new coffee machine and once it comes (will be north of the 14th) you are welcome to come round and sample my offerings!

• Thanks 1

1463830143_samuraihaiku.JPG.41ff3ef269d9a77f23a0c63ae6fd29a7.JPG