Coffee Forums banner
45K views 266 replies 36 participants last post by  KK£ 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought with the apparent groundswell of support for the Lagom P-64 it would be good to have a thread dedicated to the grinder and it's burrs set.

I have a P-64 ordered for mid-May delivery, matt silver finish and Unimodal burrs. I am considering purchasing a set of the standard non coated burrs just in case I can't get on with the Red Speed Unimodal burrs.

Does anyone have a P-64 already? Which burrs did you select? Did you buy any additional Burrs. Aside from SSP who sells appropriate sized Burrs.

I'm almost 100% espresso these day with the occasional long black.

How are people finding the grinder?
are there any hints and tricks that owners can pass on

As example

when I contacted Option -O they recommended that the grinder did not benefit from seasoning burrs and encouraged me to just jump in and start making coffee.

Discuss.

See less See more
#4 ·
@Karka which burrs did you order? I have to admit I'm flip flopping like a newly caught fish in a boat. I ordered HU burrs then sent an email asking to change that to Unimodal. Now after another email exchange with Sam they have recommended I opt for the HU burrs. My current thinking is that I will order two burr sets. The Unimodal and the standard burr set, just in case I can't get on with the Unimodal. I've pushed the boat out on this purchase and can't justify to myself two SSP burr sets at this point.

#6 ·
@Dallah sorry didn't make that clear. I went for the high uniformity burr set.

@profesor_historia From what I understood the unimodal burrs are not really geared towards espresso. So for filter coffee the ideal would be that all grounds are identical in size. Sounds great for espresso too, but it turns out espresso gives a better texture and body when grounds have a slight variance in size. So for me it made sense for the high uniformity as I'll drink 10-20 espresso a week but only 2-4 v60 per week.

#7 ·
So for filter coffee the ideal would be that all grounds are identical in size. Sounds great for espresso too, but it turns out espresso gives a better texture and body when grounds have a slight variance in size.
All grinders produce a variance in size, no grinders produce particles identical in size.

#11 ·
Thanks for setting this thread up and for having it pinned. There is another thread previously started in the Coffee Lounge so hopefully people will move over to this now.

I've preordered for mid May and ended up going with High Uniformity in the Lagom (Black) and also added the Unimodal as a spare set. Everything I've read suggests I'll prefer the HU burrs but thought it would be good to try both sets and report back in time.

Really looking forward to May 😁

Reactions: Dallah
#13 ·
@THR_Crema Both burr sets. I like your style.

I just don't know which way to go. I think as I can't really make up my mind, I might opt not to decide and get both SSP burr sets. The Unimodal sound like they could produce some dramatically different espresso and while I'm not unhappy with my espresso as it is; something dramatically different sounds like a great experiment.

I know the folks at Option O think that this grinder with the Unimodal burrs and lightly roasted beans can produce espresso similar to that which comes from a well aligned EK43. Is that necessarily a good thing? Clarity of flavour but with limited mouthfeel. Sounds to me almost like a concentrated shot of filter coffee.

So far I've no real decision. First World problems indeed.

#15 ·
@THR_Crema Both burr sets. I like your style.

I just don't know which way to go. I think as I can't really make up my mind, I might opt not to decide and get both SSP burr sets. The Unimodal sound like they could produce some dramatically different espresso and while I'm not unhappy with my espresso as it is; something dramatically different sounds like a great experiment.

I know the folks at Option O think that this grinder with the Unimodal burrs and lightly roasted beans can produce espresso similar to that which comes from a well aligned EK43. Is that necessarily a good thing? Clarity of flavour but with limited mouthfeel. Sounds to me almost like a concentrated shot of filter coffee.

So far I've no real decision. First World problems indeed.
As I couldn't decide and this is part of a big upgrade and probably last time I'll ever be able to have such an expensive grinder I thought it best to get both sets. I'm sure if I don't like either set they will sell quickly.

I've got a Fellow Ode due in April for more Pourover coffee so quite tempted to try the SSP Unimodal burrs in this - from what I've been reading on home barista and believe Mr Hoffmann has also upgraded his to SSP burrs.

As you say they look straight forward to swap in a Lagom but not a daily exercise.

#19 ·
Amazing news on the order and both burr sets - seems most people are thinking the same when it comes to ordering both.

I'm trying to do the same re delivery. Does anyone know if it's air delivery or by sea? I'm sure it will be clear by May/June but wasn't sure if the Suez Canal problem will have an impact.

#22 ·
when I contacted Option -O they recommended that the grinder did not benefit from seasoning burrs and encouraged me to just jump in and start making coffee.

Discuss.
seasoning burrs always sounds like a load of rubbish to me... aligning with the need to run in my Naim amplifier for months to make it sound better... either I'm deaf with shot taste buds, or neither of these things make any noticeable difference.

I'm sure someone will violently disagree! 😁

#24 ·
For people that's unsure between the burr set to choose for the Lagom - here's my thoughts.

Baring in mind I don't have the grinder yet, mine should be arriving early May, but I've opted to go for the SSP Unimodal. I drink mostly filter coffee mid-week before work and espresso exclusively on the weekends. Although I drink more filter coffee, I can settle for less-than-adequate filter but I find that I want to put more effort in to making great-tasting espresso.

When comparing grinders, the consensus seems to be "bigger burrs are better". After doing some research into why, it seems that the larger the burrs the less fines and the more "unimodal" style of particles it creates. As we know the burrs in the Lagom are smaller than the other end game grinders, so my theory is that the SSP Unimodal burrs may create a taste profile similar to that of a larger burr set.

Furthermore, what's really exciting is that the Lagom has a feature that nobody seems to be discussing: variable grind speed.
Again looking into this it seems that ranging from low to high RPM has an effect on the amount of fines. I'm hoping that I can vary the taste profile of the unimodal burrs by upping the speed and adding more fines for a more high-uniformity style grind, if so desired.

Lastly, I think the choice also comes down to taste.
Unimodal = more clarity.
High-Uniformity = more body.
I almost exclusively drink my espresso with milk, so the case for a more unctuous body tends to be lost within the texture of the milk. I'm hoping the unimodal burrs will offer me a much higher clarity that'll push through the milk.

Again I don't own the grinder yet, and all this is specualtion. But this is what excites me so much! There's so much experimentation to be done and I'm very much looking forward to try all these different theories and just see what's what. Maybe the unimodal might be a right choice for me, or maybe not. But I can't wait to try!

#27 ·
I'm sure someone here will know this but in theory, how would One check the burr parallel alignment when using the Unimodal burrs? You can't use the quick and dirty whiteboard marker test as the Unimodal burrs don't have any flat surfaces to mark up. I won't be checking the alignment myself, I will be trusting Option O to deliver an aligned grinder as I haven't heard of any alignment issues to date. However I am just interested in how it could be done. Never too old to learn something new.

#28 ·
how would One check the burr parallel alignment when using the Unimodal burrs? You can't use the quick and dirty whiteboard marker test as the Unimodal burrs don't have any flat surfaces to mark up
There must be a finishing area around the very edge of the burr? This would be where you would put the marker.

https://prima-coffee.com/parts/ssp/643-ssp-sp

#40 ·
Ill go the other way, i cant see it stealing sales from the p6, this is gonna be a least twice the price if not more, at least half as big again , its a different market .

£1600 on a gridner for the home is the upper limit for a ton of people , one example you get over £2k and `£3k then people think long and hard about the price difference and the space it takes up. Lagom are just diversifying as they are looking at a small burr conical for filter also.

WIll it steal front the Max , If its more readily available , bit cheaper, sure.

#43 ·
I imagine they got a lot of flack, trouble is it can't be unseen now.....If I had the money and had a P64 on order, I think I'd be very tempted to cancel and wait....I suspect a lot of people may have already done that.

Of course, the P64 "probably" does just as good a job for most people..."probably"

#50 ·
Realistically I know that @Mrboots2uis right. There is always going to be something "new" around the corner. I would love this new 98mm burr monster but common sense tells me that

a) I don't have the space in my existing coffee corner. It is truly tiny.
b) I would not spend that much on a grinder for home at this point in my coffee journey. If it comes in below £2500 I will be shocked.
c) There is no way on god's little green earth I would get approval from the home accounts department for the purchase.

If Option O's claim that the P-64 punches above its weight in terms of burr size I will be satisfied with the P-64. If it is so much marketing eyewash and I have paid all that extra dosh just to get single dosing in a better looking container than the Solo, well I shall not be best pleased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.