IGNORED

50mm Eureka Grinder Specs Compared - Crono, Filtro, Manuale, Facile, Silenzio & Perfetto

4 hours ago, Coff Hey said:

Sorry all, I did a specialita too that i totally forgot to upload. Again totally rubbish video but for anyone who wants to see :)

Thanks, it’s great to see an authorised person taking it to bits.  What would make these even better would be some narration to explain the parts/difference in spec (easy for me to ask you to do more work). 

The real challenge is where to draw the line as a semi-competent person with a screwdriver. My cleaning routine goes down to removing the lid and top burr carrier but it’s a little unsatisfying not being able to clear out the entire grind chamber (what I want to be able to do is brush out between the sweeper arms like you show in the video).

I saw another cleaning video where the maker advocated removing the bottom burr to clean the grind chamber as they experienced sufficient build up to stop grind adjustment.

Ive got a camera cleaning puffer so that should help but I still feel like I am leaving behind some grinds in the chamber. Is this necessary or am I being too picky?

Edited by Kjk

PMA all day!

1 hour ago, Kjk said:

Thanks, it’s great to see an authorised person taking it to bits.  What would make these even better would be some narration to explain the parts/difference in spec (easy for me to ask you to do more work). 

The real challenge is where to draw the line as a semi-competent person with a screwdriver. My cleaning routine goes down to removing the lid and top burr carrier but it’s a little unsatisfying not being able to clear out the entire grind chamber (what I want to be able to do is brush out between the sweeper arms like you show in the video).

I saw another cleaning video where the maker advocated removing the bottom burr to clean the grind chamber as they experienced sufficient build up to stop grind adjustment.

Ive got a camera cleaning puffer so that should help but I still feel like I am leaving behind some grinds in the chamber. Is this necessary or am I being too picky?

Be right back 😁

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Coff Hey said:

Urgh, i hate the sound of my own voice. Let me find a voice over actor ahah

The value is in the knowledge!

PMA all day!

2 hours ago, Coff Hey said:

Cool to see what is going on inside. This stirs something deep inside my soul which is screaming “noooooo the floor!”

This inspired me to give Count Grindley a proper clean. Ready for the next bag!

3FBF0EE2-F2FC-4056-A22F-AEF1E04B3988.jpeg

PMA all day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2021 at 04:53, Coff Hey said:

I got distracted today sorry!

That's interesting to watch! How critical is that zig zag mesh the coffee pushes through? My (now departed) mazzer SJ just shot the coffee straight out the side of the burrs without obstruction. I have read people complain about clumping with the Mignon and wonder if this helps or hinders...

@Coff Hey Do you know if the 55mm burrs of the pro will fit a crono and if there is any benefit if so? I saw a youtube vid of a guy sifting grinds from a 50 and 55mm and claimed there was significantly more fines from the 50mm. Appreciate any info!

On 13/04/2021 at 10:05, newdent said:

That's interesting to watch! How critical is that zig zag mesh the coffee pushes through? My (now departed) mazzer SJ just shot the coffee straight out the side of the burrs without obstruction. I have read people complain about clumping with the Mignon and wonder if this helps or hinders...

@Coff Hey Do you know if the 55mm burrs of the pro will fit a crono and if there is any benefit if so? I saw a youtube vid of a guy sifting grinds from a 50 and 55mm and claimed there was significantly more fines from the 50mm. Appreciate any info!

This is the antistatic system, same as the grid you did not have in your Mazzer. With regards clumps they absolutely cause it. Main three reasons for these devices;

1) to remove the static charge in the coffee grounds. A charge which otherwise can cause grounds to repel one another and/or the grinder and cause a total mess! The tamp ensures grounds uniformity so it's a distraction to worry about it in my opinion!

2) Ensure a consistent weight dose to dose 

3) Creates a one way valve to keep new air (which has moisture and thus causes oxidisation) in the burr chamber to a minimum

Not possible to retro anything into the Crono no. The aluminum body casting forms the motor holder/grinding chamber so stuck with it as is! Difference 50 to 55mm is not significant, but yes there is one. I wouldn't worry unless you're chasing those last few %%

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Coff Hey said:

This is the antistatic system, same as the grid you did not have in your Mazzer. With regards clumps they absolutely cause it. Main three reasons for these devices;

1) to remove the static charge in the coffee grounds. A charge which otherwise can cause grounds to repel one another and/or the grinder and cause a total mess! The tamp ensures grounds uniformity so it's a distraction to worry about it in my opinion!

2) Ensure a consistent weight dose to dose 

3) Creates a one way valve to keep new air (which has moisture and thus causes oxidisation) in the burr chamber to a minimum

Not possible to retro anything into the Crono no. The aluminum body casting forms the motor holder/grinding chamber so stuck with it as is! Difference 50 to 55mm is not significant, but yes there is one. I wouldn't worry unless you're chasing those last few %%

Thanks for the explanation, really appreciate that. 

Very tempted to remove this anti static system (whilst accepting it may invalidate the warranty) just to see what the difference is. I'm single dosing and the coffee plug it creates isn't helping with retention. Regarding clumping, can't say there's any significant issues there...

Cool, will just live with the 50mm. Luckily I'm new enough to all this coffee malarkey that I haven't even noticed a negative going down from the 64mm mazzer to this one and very much enjoying the grinder fitting next to my coffee machine. I like having the chute vs a doser on the mazzer and I have the crono. Didn't come with a fork but don't think I'll fork out for one (sorry). Appreciate Eureka keeping the costs down on the crono to get a good grinder at a good price!

Edited by newdent
30 minutes ago, newdent said:

Thanks for the explanation, really appreciate that. 

Very tempted to remove this anti static system (whilst accepting it may invalidate the warranty) just to see what the difference is. I'm single dosing and the coffee plug it creates isn't helping with retention. Regarding clumping, can't say there's any significant issues there...

Cool, will just live with the 50mm. Luckily I'm new enough to all this coffee malarkey that I haven't even noticed a negative going down from the 64mm mazzer to this one and very much enjoying the grinder fitting next to my coffee machine. I like having the chute vs a doser on the mazzer and I have the crono. Didn't come with a fork but don't think I'll fork out for one (sorry). Appreciate Eureka keeping the costs down on the crono to get a good grinder at a good price!

Anytime bud. If the crono is one of mine then warranty stands whatever you do (within reason) do crack on mate!!

To be clear what I’m saying/showing next is not for the purposes of putting you off. please do try, experiment, play that’s the whole point of my advice and question answering.. to encourage not discourage. . ! So anyway interestingly retention was worse by removing the static strip. Watch what happened when I pulled one off a crono just now below. Static varies (massively) case by case so your results will vary so have a go and report back. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Coff Hey said:

Whoops this might help lol

Interesting, so you haven't experienced static on the chute with the device fitted? 

I'm waiting on a collapsible camera lens hood to see if tapping on that (with a home made mini hopper - a short length of 40mm pipe) will clear the retention. Currently just tapping my palm over the burrs with the hopper removed and whilst it does clear most of what's stuck, I'm slightly fearful of damaging the grinder long term. Will have to get an air blower of some sort of not! 

If none of this works, I may experiment with removing the anti static. I'll not getting issues with clumping but the shot is taking ages to get going then it runs fairly fast. No channelling but unusual behaviour compared to the SJ grinds. It is new coffee though and coffee that potentially hasn't rested for long enough, so will wait and see!

@Zagato great thread @Coff Hey awesome videos 😉 

slightly different question, what’s the difference (or nearest equivalent) of the chrono to the previous mk2 as far aI can see it’s a metal fork and a bit of chrome, the mk2 in 2013 was £309 ish.... at the same a classic was £180ish, now a classic is £400 and a chrono is £180 what gives? Also how do I know when I need new burrs? Which burrs should I fit if I need new ones?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I received a Crono on tuesday purchased from @Coff Hey (partly influenced by their info in this post). Ordered on Saturday and dispatched on Monday, so good service and the cheapest price I could find, so thanks for that.

I’m very happy with it so far. I’m grinding manually into a cup on scales, which works well. It’s comparatively quiet, the grind seems pretty uniform, and it is a pretty solid and responsive piece of kit. I found it easy to set up and get beans dialled in. Early days, but very happy with it so far.