Jump to content
IGNORED

50mm Eureka Grinder Specs Compared - Crono, Filtro, Manuale, Facile, Silenzio & Perfetto


Recommended Posts

Just wanted to put some findings up that I made while digging into my Eureka grinder purchase. I'll preface by saying that this knowledge is based on secondary research and perhaps a bit academic, so I am very much open to being corrected if anything is wrong! I hope this helps someone who isn't planning to spring for the Specialita but is confused about what to buy as there are so many models with many components and features in common.

As someone quite new to this world but with quite the case of OCD/perfectionism (an asset apparently when it comes to espresso), I was set on getting the very best value for money possible and can't afford to spend too much at the moment as it happens. The Eureka grinders seem to be very well regarded in terms of value for money as well as their friendly kitchen footprint, but having said that, the pricing and product range is nothing short of baffling.

What I don't like is the seeming lack of transparency about this product range and it seems to be all too familiar. I worked for a company once upon a time that made a domestic appliance under several brands and models ranging from £750 to £1,800. Only hyper vigilant customers would hit the lower end of that bracket through the realisation that this was a cost saving and marketing exercise by that company to target different markets without needing to retool. Actually the £750 and £1,800 product were nearly identical internally with superficial upgrades to justify the price difference that were actually irrelevant in terms of real world usage. That example is much more extreme than this one however.

Aside from some certain applications and requirements, I think the Crono hits the best value for money in the 50mm lineup. In theory all of these grinders should be capable of producing an identical quality of espresso grind, only that some have easier to use interfaces than others. This is not really an issue if you don't change beans a lot or hope to change from espresso to brew methods easily. Having a dedicated espresso and dedicated filter grinder is preferred for this anyway with stepless grinders (unless you can afford a Niche!)

Prices are current based on a quick check on 21/03/21 and not including delivery:

Crono £180 (£190 with fork): This is what I settled on - for £190 with a fork (incidentally the fork being sold for this is actually a spare for the Manuale but fits). It is heavily pushed as being a brew grinder. Some retailers advertise this as having 'less aggressive burrs' which make it more suitable for brew grinding, others advise customers interested in using it for espresso to buy a Manuale or 'better' just because of the fork! (Including Eureka themselves in YouTube comments where potential customers ask questions). Having spoken to someone who has torn down both a Crono and Silenzio, they confirmed that all the burrs in these 50mm products are identical. Key features:

  • 50mm hardened steel flat burrs
  • 260w motor
  • Not soundproofed
  • Advertised as a timer based grinder but can do 'on demand' if you just hold the button down.
  • Comes with a grinds container and no fork

Filtro £189: Essentially the same as the Crono. It is a grinder 'designed for filter methods rather than espresso' but no reason is offered as to why that is from what I've found.

  • 50mm hardened steel flat burrs
  • 260w motor
  • Not soundproofed
  • Manual (no timer)
  • Not sure if you can attach a fork but it appears to have the slots to do so

Manuale £250: This is the on demand 50mm option. A Crono with a the fork from this bought as a spare essentially is a Manuale with an added grinds container and option to use the timer (for £60 more than the price of the Crono with the fork!) I think you could also call it a Filtro with a fork!

  • 50mm hardened steel flat burrs
  • 260w motor
  • Not soundproofed (anyone noticing a pattern here!)
  • Manual (no timer)

Facile £279: This is an upgraded Manuale, (or a downgraded Silenzio depending on your perspective!) the features are:

  • 50mm hardened flat steel burrs.
  • 310w motor (I found this https://coff-hey.com/blogs/no-one-listens-to-sarah/get-to-know-the-crono interesting as it describes that the 310w and 260w models both rotate at 1350rpm. The stronger motor is needed for 55mm models but I wondered if anyone can tell me how it would affect a 50mm model if it still has the same rpm - I guess it would labour less but would it be any faster at grinding?)
  • Sound dampening built within the housing (I can see how some people would consider this worthwhile, but my grinder will live next to a Vitamix so for me noise is not important and it's still not overly loud).
  • A metal fork rather than plastic
  • Manual (no timer)

Silenzio £309: This appears to be the same as the Facile, but this time with a timer. At this price point I think it's better to spring for the Specialita and get the larger burrs (which can actually have an effect on your drink though at only 5mm larger, the mind wonders as to how much real world difference that makes - I imagine with an XL it would make a much more pronounced difference).

  • 50mm hardened flat steel burrs.
  • 310w motor
  • Sound dampening built within the housing (I can see how some people would consider this worthwhile, but my grinder will live next to a Vitamix so for me noise is not important and it's still not overly loud).
  • A metal fork rather than plastic
  • Manual or timer options for use.

Perfetto £380?: This appears to be less common in the UK. Basically the idea is to make it easier to change between brew methods with a different style stepless knob (it looks larger) and a touch screen interface with more options for 2 doses or continuous use. From my research, still no differentiation with the burrs! Personally at this price I would spring for the Specialita or if I really wanted to solve my brew and espresso problems with this money, I would buy a nice hand grinder with the change left over from my Crono!

  • 50mm hardened steel flat burrs.
  • 310w motor
  • Sound dampening built in
  • Metal fork
  • Touch screen interface and a different stepless knob.

So in summary, so far I have no reason to believe that the burrs in any of these grinders are physically different and so far no reason to believe that the more powerful motor would make any difference either (I may well stand to be corrected on this).

Therefore my theory is that you could spend £309 or £190 to produce exactly the same results in terms of espresso grind (putting aside the difference in terms of noise, fork material and style of controls). At this moment in time - unless you care about the noise level - it seems like the Crono with the fork is the best value option. Perhaps there are other factors that I missed (potentially tighter tolerances for example, or finer controls?), but if so then I think it would be good if they could be made clearer to customers.

As you get towards the higher end of this range, I think you might as well get the 5mm larger burrs in the Specialita and sleep better at night!

https://youtu.be/wfhaD9OPqd8

This video shows some of the lineup but also includes some of the 55mm grinders that are not discussed in this post!

Edited by Zatogato
Making it clearer that this is theoretical from a layman perspective!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zatogato said:

So in summary, I have no reason to believe that the burrs in any of these grinders have any difference and so far no reason to believe that the more powerful motor would make any difference (I may well stand to be corrected on this latter point).

What is the pitch of the worm drive threads for each, or actual burr gap, per revolution of adjustment dial?

I don't doubt the 50mm burrs are common, but being able to adjust for finer resolution in the espresso range is key. Unless you had £1600 to buy the whole range & about the same to conduct some very basic testing, you can't assert that they perform comparably.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi @MWJB, of course, this is all through trawling the web rather than having the machines in front of me and testing - which would be the scientific way to figure it out. The control knob seems to be the same on all of them bar the Perfetto - I didn't find anything to suggest a difference in adjustment sensitivity between them. Maybe someone could shed some light on whether that is the case?

I did preface by saying my research is academic and that I am totally open to being wrong about this - I'll edit the OP to make my point a bit clearer that this is a theory rather than assertion.

Having said that, I kept looking for a reason to justify the price differential but couldn't find it. I found some threads where people compared a couple of 50mm models and owned both and didn't notice a difference in terms of performance (anecdotal though).

I'm not sure what the pitch of the worm drive threads is, or the significance of the burr gap (I'm still a newbie) but I think your latter point relates the degree of control/accuracy from the adjustment dial. If there is a difference on those points it would be much better from a customer perspective if that was made explicit in the specs.

Edited by Zatogato
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Zatogato said:

I'm not sure what the pitch of the worm drive threads is, or the significance of the burr gap (I'm still a newbie) but I think your latter point relates the degree of control/accuracy from the adjustment dial. If there is a difference on those points it would be much better from a customer perspective if that was made explicit in the specs.

This seems to be implied through something meaningful to consumers. Listing the pitch of a worm drive isn't as clear to people as saying "suitable for grinding in the espresso range" or "not intended for espresso". Have you contacted Eureka to ask them what the differences are?

I'm sure somebody on the forum recently had both and said the adjustment had a different number of potential turns. The burr gap is the distance between the burrs and how much it changes with each revolution, in other words the resolution of adjustment which affects how easy it is to dial in, how much room there is for small adjustment.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

This seems to be implied through something meaningful to consumers. Listing the pitch of a worm drive isn't as clear to people as saying "suitable for grinding in the espresso range" or "not intended for espresso". Have you contacted Eureka to ask them what the differences are?

I'm sure somebody on the forum recently had both and said the adjustment had a different number of potential turns. The burr gap is the distance between the burrs and how much it changes with each revolution, in other words the resolution of adjustment which affects how easy it is to dial in, how much room there is for small adjustment.

 

That is a fair point and I agree that it's better to explain stuff to customers in language they understand (like me!) Having said that, I also think it's still important to be clear if a difference like that drives up production costs and therefore the price of the product. Of course they wouldn't want to lead with that kind of info, but it would be good to find it on a more detailed spec or such. Thanks for clarifying what the burr gap is.

I have tried emailing Eureka for clarity but haven't heard back yet. The way they respond on YouTube doesn't really make it clear either and people have asked the same question (see screenshot). They also say that no fork available fits the Crono but that clearly isn't the case. 🤷‍♂️

Whole Latte Love videos get a lot of the same question as well and they tend to focus on the usability in terms of the (solvable) lack of a fork for the Crono. Generally the answers provided about why the Crono would be any less in quality than the more expensive espresso orientated 50mm models are vague and they tend not to suggest anything in terms of inferior output. No mention of a difference in the adjustment that I've found so far.

Certainly if what you're saying is the case regarding the resolution of adjustment, that would be totally valid as an improved feature, but then they could just say 'more sensitive adjustment knob for a better experience dialling in espresso' to make it easy to understand why the price is higher.

Actually if anyone can shed any light on this or has owned both a Silenzio and Crono/Filtro/Manuale that would be really interesting to know regarding the adjustment.

Perhaps I'm just too innately skeptical given my experiences of how products get priced (take iPhones and memory cost for example)! My background is marketing so it comes with the territory!

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 03.22.52.png

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 03.31.46.png

Edited by Zatogato
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please ask away if you have any specific questions. I do the warranty work for the UK dealer and know every bit of equipment down to the screw sizes...yes really. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Regards adjustment there’s a lot of rubbish about. The brew pro aside it’s a threaded bar (same for each) that pushes the rotor motor up via a lever. 

Literally the simplest method but substantially more robust and practical than threaded/rotating top blade holders!

i can strip a Mignon and video it to show you all how it works of that is of interest?

Edited by Coff Hey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Coff Hey said:

Please ask away if you have any specific questions. I do the warranty work for the UK dealer and know every bit of equipment down to the screw sizes...yes really. 

3 for you!


Does the Silenzio have any difference in the adjustment wheel such as an increased ‘resolution’ of adjustment referred to as above?

Does the increased motor power provide any benefit for a 50mm burr model in terms of production rate or temperature?

Are there any differences in quality of espresso grind produced by the Silenzio vs the Crono?

Many thanks!

Edited by Zatogato
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zatogato said:

3 for you!


Does the Silenzio have any difference in the adjustment wheel such as an increased ‘resolution’ of adjustment referred to as above?

No sir

2 minutes ago, Zatogato said:

Does the increased motor provide any benefit for a 50mm burr model in terms of production rate or temperature?

Not when used and cleaned correctly. Substantially more torque at the cutting edge does mean the motor is less likely to fail to start, but this isn’t a benefit in my eyes merely a interesting note. Motor Temperature is of no concern. The friction of the coffee is the heat source, so bigger blades for commercial is critical. At home don’t even think about it. 

It’s got this motor because of the silent mounting is designed for it and does not fit the 260. 

2 minutes ago, Zatogato said:

Are there any differences in quality of espresso grind produced by the Silenzio vs the Crono?

Many thanks!

The silenzio has a slightly different motor mount/grinding chamber. It’s machined much better and therefore retention is much the same by weight. but it doesn’t hold on and collect grounds in a few areas. It’s considerably less significant than good cleaning regime but I know you want to know regardless. 

 

Keep em coming!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Coff Hey said:

Regards adjustment there’s a lot of rubbish about. The brew pro aside it’s a threaded bar (same for each) that pushes the rotor motor up via a lever. 

Literally the simplest method but substantially more robust and practical than threaded/rotating top blade holders!

i can strip a Mignon and video it to show you all how it works of that is of interest?

Yes that would be great!

44 minutes ago, Coff Hey said:

No sir

Not when used and cleaned correctly. Substantially more torque at the cutting edge does mean the motor is less likely to fail to start, but this isn’t a benefit in my eyes merely a interesting note. Motor Temperature is of no concern. The friction of the coffee is the heat source, so bigger blades for commercial is critical. At home don’t even think about it. 

It’s got this motor because of the silent mounting is designed for it and does not fit the 260. 

The silenzio has a slightly different motor mount/grinding chamber. It’s machined much better and therefore retention is much the same by weight. but it doesn’t hold on and collect grounds in a few areas. It’s considerably less significant than good cleaning regime but I know you want to know regardless. 

 

Keep em coming!

So one difference in Crono and Silenzio would be ease of cleaning basically, but retention for actual use is the same? Is the Crono the same as the Manuale on this count?

So far, the customer journey reminds me a lot of trying to get an Oral B iO toothbrush (their top line). Their iO9 model has a couple of extra modes, 3d tracking for the app and a colour screen (upgrades that don't scale with the pricing). The iO7 is the lowest number in the range and doesn't have said colour screen, but has exactly the same motor, brush head and cleaning power. The practical benefit to the user is identical (unless you really want slightly better app feedback but almost nobody bothers to open the app every time they brush their teeth). I had to go through a lot of digging to work out that the lowest model in the top line was just as good as the flagship at doing the job it is supposed to (actually cleaning your teeth) by trawling through enthusiast sites. (Yes you read that right, there are enthusiast sites for toothbrushes!) I paid £115 for a brand new iO7 but a customer trying to buy the best would be looking at the £250 iO9.

My OP might have been based on a few assumptions based on how marketing strategies tend to work, but it doesn't seem to be too far off the mark!

Edited by Zatogato
Just realised I misread the part about retention
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2021 at 00:38, Zatogato said:

So in summary, so far I have no reason to believe that the burrs in any of these grinders are physically different and so far no reason to believe that the more powerful motor would make any difference either (I may well stand to be corrected on this).

 

Excellent post @Zatogato and this is the same conclusion I arrived at before getting my Crono. Stick-worthy. I'm also glad to see @Coff Hey here, I dealt with Alec who was fantastic and we would love to see a video please! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DarkShadow said:

Excellent post @Zatogato and this is the same conclusion I arrived at before getting my Crono. Stick-worthy. I'm also glad to see @Coff Hey here, I dealt with Alec who was fantastic and we would love to see a video please! 

Thanks, my Crono arrived since making this post and I'm really happy with the performance so far. It chokes my GC with still quite a range to go to the very finest setting and the consistency is very good, noise level is low despite the lack of silencing (though that's a subjective thing I guess).

I'm still seasoning the burrs and playing with the grind settings but it will definitely do the job. I will try out a Silenzio and Specialita in my local store with the same beans I have now as I spoke to them and they stock both models - but my hypothesis remains that the Silenzio will perform identically at the core task of grinding coffee and I'm somehow skeptical that even a 5mm burr increase will really yield a huge performance increase with the Specialita (but seems more likely to make a difference than the Silenzio).

I will update the thread with my findings (whether my assertions/hypothesis turns out to be right or wrong.)

I guess next on the upgrade path would be an Mignon XL or Niche, but this will be my grinder for the foreseeable future!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zatogato said:

Thanks, my Crono arrived since making this post and I'm really happy with the performance so far. It chokes my GC with still quite a range to go to the very finest setting and the consistency is very good, noise level is low despite the lack of silencing (though that's a subjective thing I guess).

I'm still seasoning the burrs and playing with the grind settings but it will definitely do the job. I will try out a Silenzio and Specialita in my local store with the same beans I have now as I spoke to them and they stock both models - but my hypothesis remains that the Silenzio will perform identically at the core task of grinding coffee and I'm somehow skeptical that even a 5mm burr increase will really yield a huge performance increase with the Specialita (but seems more likely to make a difference than the Silenzio).

I will update the thread with my findings (whether my assertions/hypothesis turns out to be right or wrong.)

I guess next on the upgrade path would be an Mignon XL or Niche, but this will be my grinder for the foreseeable future!

Look forward to your findings!

Having had about 40 cups since the delivery of mine, it's fair to say I will stick with this for as long as it lasts. I think anything after this point is purely marginal gains. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I make no apologies for how unpolished this is. I don't posses the space, equipment, skills or time to do a nice video sorry! But skip to the end if you just want to see how adjustment works!

As I write this it's still being uploaded to youtube should be done in a few minutes. Will do a Crono now quickly.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Coff Hey, I am about to get a new Grinder for my Cherub and I am thinking to get the manuale but what was the conclusion at the end ? Are these two (Crono and manuale) exactly the same grinders and you pay £50 just for the fork?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, gmatzou21 said:

Hi Coff Hey, I am about to get a new Grinder for my Cherub and I am thinking to get the manuale but what was the conclusion at the end ? Are these two (Crono and manuale) exactly the same grinders and you pay £50 just for the fork?

 

@Coff Hey is the pro but in case it helps you - from what I understand, yes.

Although the Crono is often marketed as a timed only, brew orientated grinder, neither thing is really true from a pragmatic perspective. The Crono will do manual dosing and it does a great job of grinding for espresso (no physical reason why the Manuale could possibly perform any better a job of finer grinds as it has the same burrs, adjustment tech and even the same housing).

Eureka themselves also push the Manuale over the Crono for espresso but it appears to be purely an attempt to secure different markets at different price points. Some retailers just tout that no fork will fit the Crono (including Eureka themselves) but that isn't true either and actually the fork that you can buy separately (that fits) the Crono is a spare part for the Manuale!

As long as you exceed whatever time the timer is set to when you hold down the button on the front of the Crono (with your finger or your PF), it will keep grinding until you release the button so you can definitely use it manually if you prefer. Just set the timer to the minimum and hold the button to start, release to stop. I use the timer as it's more convenient and adjust the dose by flicking the power off on a second run if it undershoots (I hope that makes sense.) The timer is as accurate as touch screen versions as it is the same technology, just with a different interface. It's for you to decide if it would be worth paying extra for a touch screen as it probably is more user friendly but there have also been problems with them (personally I prefer a manual knob as I don't really change it once it's set how I prefer anyway).

In summary, grinding performance to my knowledge is identical between these two units and so basically if you take a Manuale and lose the option for a timer - you have the Crono. I would get the Crono and buy the fork and then you have yourself an upgraded Manuale for significantly less money that gives you the option to do timed doses if you wish!

Edited by Zatogato
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Zatogato said:

@Coff Hey is the pro but in case it helps you - from what I understand, yes.

Although the Crono is often marketed as a timed only, brew orientated grinder, neither thing is really true from a pragmatic perspective. The Crono will do manual dosing and it does a great job of grinding for espresso (no physical reason why the Manuale could possibly perform any better a job of finer grinds as it has the same burrs, adjustment tech and even the same housing).

Eureka themselves also push the Manuale over the Crono for espresso but it appears to be purely an attempt to secure different markets at different price points. Some retailers just tout that no fork will fit the Crono (including Eureka themselves) but that isn't true either and actually the fork that you can buy separately (that fits) the Crono is a spare part for the Manuale!

As long as you exceed whatever time the timer is set to when you hold down the button on the front of the Crono (with your finger or your PF), it will keep grinding until you release the button so you can definitely use it manually if you prefer. Just set the timer to the minimum and hold the button to start, release to stop. I use the timer as it's more convenient and adjust the dose by flicking the power off on a second run if it undershoots (I hope that makes sense.) The timer is as accurate as touch screen versions as it is the same technology, just with a different interface. It's for you to decide if it would be worth paying extra for a touch screen as it probably is more user friendly but there have also been problems with them (personally I prefer a manual knob as I don't really change it once it's set how I prefer anyway).

In summary, grinding performance to my knowledge is identical between these two units and so basically if you take a Manuale and lose the option for a timer - you have the Crono. I would get the Crono and buy the fork and then you have yourself an upgraded Manuale for significantly less money that gives you the option to do timed doses if you wish!

Fully agreed. The touchscreen ones do look nicer but I would rather stick to manual controls... it's grinder after all! And there's little to go wrong, whereas I'v seen the touchscreen variants are quite problematic. 

For bottomless portafilter, you're probably going to want to do without the fork. Mine's become quite a nuisance and I shall remove it soon.  

IMO this is the best value for money grinder <£500. 

 

Thanks for videos @Coff Hey proved our hypothesis. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.


    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!


    Donate / Sponsor

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...