IGNORED

homemade cooling tray.

joe82675

I am looking to build a cooling tray for my roasting. I was thinking of attaching a colander to a bucket and putting a air bed blower into the side of the bucket. has anyone else done anything like this? any tips?

You could made something like this... Although I think it's overkill.

You could effectively cool the beans by adding a a computer case cooling fan or PSU cooling fan to the bottom of your colander (maybe something more potent than that however, depending how much beans you want to cool). Just make sure you at least cover some of the holes on the side of the colander so the fan can effectively suck the heat away from the beans. 

You'd effective creating one of these:

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/sandbox-smart-c1-cooling-tray.html

I actually had the opportunity to use one of those and it cools the beans (130g) in no time.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Hey Joe!

I have had my Gene Cafe 101 for less than 2 weeks, slowly getting to grips with it.

As on the Facebook group most did recommend external cooling. I purchased this on Amazon and would highly recommend it if in budget. 

YUCHENGTECH 500g Coffee Bean Cooler Electric Coffee Bean Roasting Cooler Home Coffee Bean Cooling Plate Double Layer Filter 220V

It is £89.99 UK. Build quality is superb & it is heavy. Think will last for years. (I did need to oil fan but took 2 mins to do)

Literally cools the beans in well under a minute & has chaff net. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jord93 said:

Hey Joe!

I have had my Gene Cafe 101 for less than 2 weeks, slowly getting to grips with it.

As on the Facebook group most did recommend external cooling. I purchased this on Amazon and would highly recommend it if in budget. 

YUCHENGTECH 500g Coffee Bean Cooler Electric Coffee Bean Roasting Cooler Home Coffee Bean Cooling Plate Double Layer Filter 220V

It is £89.99 UK. Build quality is superb & it is heavy. Think will last for years. (I did need to oil fan but took 2 mins to do)

Literally cools the beans in well under a minute & has chaff net. 

Thank you for posting this Jord93, I have been looking for potential bean coolers, I think this could be the one for me 👌 .. Do you know if it comes supplied with a UK 3 pin plug fitted.

I am looking to build a cooling tray for my roasting. I was thinking of attaching a colander to a bucket and putting a air bed blower into the side of the bucket. has anyone else done anything like this? any tips?
I made exactly this about 15 years ago.

Found a 220V blower at the local electronic shop and built the box around it out of MDF. Cut a hole to fit a kitchen sieve and added some aluminium tape around the sides of the sieve above the typical bean batch size. This prevents air being sucked from above the beans and forces it through them.
A square based sieve with solid sides would be best but this works so well that I never tried anything else.

20210326_070647.jpg
20210326_070705.jpg

13 hours ago, WestlandWessex said:

Thank you for posting this Jord93, I have been looking for potential bean coolers, I think this could be the one for me 👌 .. Do you know if it comes supplied with a UK 3 pin plug fitted.

Yes it does indeed! 

When it arrived the fan was not spinning correctly. It needed oiling. There is instructions how to do it. I used 3 in 1 oil. Been fine since. Just might need oiling every few months. It is a big fan. 

Here is vid & pic

20210319_161020.jpg

20210319_161028.jpg

• Like 1