IGNORED

Lelit Elizabeth OPV Issue

I've had my Elizabeth for around 2 months and about a week ago, the pressure on my machine started to spike up to 11-12 bars before slowly dropping back to 10 (factory default) during the first shot of the day. I've tried it with the blind and the results are the same. So if i were to try to backflush using the blind on the first shot, the pressure spikes to 11-12bars and very slowly decreases. After 5 seconds i turn off and on the pump again, it goes to 11 and slowly decreases yet again. The subsequent shots however, go to the default 10 bars. Any ideas? Is it an OPV problem or something that i could rectify myself? 

try just adjusting the expansion valve to about 9.5 bar. I don't know why the pressure is higher for the first shot. it shouldn't make any difference because the expansion valve is just a rubber pad and a mechanical spring under tension.

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

Hi Dave, I have tried adjusting it to about 9.5bars like you said. Left it for a while and when i came back, same issue. Goes to 11-12bars on the first shot. Subsequent shots are 9-9.5bars. Could it be i have a faulty expansion valve? 

2 minutes ago, strafe said:

Hi Dave, I have tried adjusting it to about 9.5bars like you said. Left it for a while and when i came back, same issue. Goes to 11-12bars on the first shot. Subsequent shots are 9-9.5bars. Could it be i have a faulty expansion valve? 

Is it me hearing things or there’s a constant hissing on your machine?

out of curiosity, do you have the same issue in eco mode (I.e.: with the steam boiler off?)

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Oh that hissing in the background is someone else using the sink. Hmm i've never tried it in eco mode. Let me get back to you on that. On a sidenote, the steam that came out of my machine this morning is less powerful than before. Dont know why but it took twice as long to heat milk, and haven't changed anything from last night. Checked the wand for any clogs but its clean. Temperature shows 140degs while steaming constantly with the valve full open, but the steam pressure is definitely less than what it was.

• Like 1

@strafe - Interesting. Is your water really hard? What water are you feeding your machine with? Let's take a step at the time. Let me know about the machine operating in Eco mode and we go from there. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

On 20/03/2021 at 21:21, MediumRoastSteam said:

@strafe - Interesting. Is your water really hard? What water are you feeding your machine with? Let's take a step at the time. Let me know about the machine operating in Eco mode and we go from there. 

No the water i use is not that hard at all, about 64ppm. I use filtered tap water. In eco mode, no difference, pressure still goes up to 11 bars even with the steam boiler off. Side note, the steam tap valve was found to be faulty and replaced, steam is great now. Pressure problem remains): 

24 minutes ago, strafe said:

No the water i use is not that hard at all, about 64ppm. I use filtered tap water. In eco mode, no difference, pressure still goes up to 11 bars even with the steam boiler off. Side note, the steam tap valve was found to be faulty and replaced, steam is great now. Pressure problem remains): 

OK. That's good and I wasn't expecting it to be any different. You are saying that, even though you adjusted to 9.5 bar (I'm assuming you are measuring pressure with a blind filter), you then leave it and, after a few days it's back at 11 bar? 

This sounds very weird. I'd be inclined to contact the seller where you bought the machine from. Doesn't sound right to me. I've been using mine for about 8 months, daily, and the pressure is bang on at 10 bar all the time (on a blind filter). 

22 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

OK. That's good and I wasn't expecting it to be any different. You are saying that, even though you adjusted to 9.5 bar (I'm assuming you are measuring pressure with a blind filter), you then leave it and, after a few days it's back at 11 bar? 

This sounds very weird. I'd be inclined to contact the seller where you bought the machine from. Doesn't sound right to me. I've been using mine for about 8 months, daily, and the pressure is bang on at 10 bar all the time (on a blind filter). 

So when i first turn on the machine, regardless of how hot the machine is, the first shot's pressure will always go to 11 bars. Regardless of blind or normal filter basket. Once the pressure hits 11, it will slowly decrease to the set pressure (in this case 9 bars). The second and subsequent shots will then be normal. If i leave the machine for about an hour, the same thing happens again.

I feel like the OPV might be sticky, and after the first shot its loosened and goes back to normal, and after a while, it goes back to being sticky again. Thoughts suggestions? I asked my seller and he's checking with lelit as well. Just thought i'd try my luck with the experience here

• Like 1

@strafe - I'm with you. Maybe @DavecUK knows more about this.

I've no explanation...there is nothing that can really jam that I am aware of

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/opv-over-pressure-valve

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

Could thermal expansion play a part? I set my OPV cold the other day to what I thought was 7.5 bar - the machine has been on today since 6.30am so figured I’d see what’s going on. It has hit 9bar when purging against a blanking disc 4 times in succession.

PMA all day!

@Kjk Well only if that valve was somehow "defective", there is quite a gap between the moving pad and the walls....and these valves are quite standard used in many prosumer machines.

Thermal expansion plays no part in the pressure readings of an expansion valve regulated machine in the specific situation you mentioned....

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was able to recreate the reported problem with my Lelit Elizabeth (I got in March 2021).  I had the machine on for about an hour preheating, I used the blind basket and it hit 10.5 bars.  Normally I would press button 1&2 to let some water out before starting my routine, today I forgot to do that.  I've seen this happen a couple times, but 90% of the time when I test the OPV it shows 9bars.  Weird.

I’m having a similar issue. Pressure spiking to 11-12 bar at times before slowly dropping . Sometimes perfectly set at 9 bar. Happens with coffee or blind basket. Tried reducing opv to 9 bar while running a blank basket. At the time was fine but then about an hour later when pulling a shot spiking up to 11 bar. Really don’t understand what’s happening

I contacted my retailer.  They asked me to descale the machine, specifically with a blind basket.  I descaled the elizabeth.  I’ve made 2 cups now with the pressure behaving correctly.  I’ll keep an eye on it.  (I’ve only got about ~280 on the odometer).  

Edited by af22

If your machine is already scaled up to that extent with 280 shots on the odometer, your water must be as hard as nails!

4 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

If your machine is already scaled up to that extent with 280 shots on the odometer, your water must be as hard as nails!

I think I had this problem right out of the box.  I’m also using the supplied water softener filter.  I’m going to have to test it out a few more days to see if problem comes back.  

• 4 weeks later...