Coffee Forums banner

Lelit Elizabeth OPV Issue

10K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  colamj53x 
#1 ·
I've had my Elizabeth for around 2 months and about a week ago, the pressure on my machine started to spike up to 11-12 bars before slowly dropping back to 10 (factory default) during the first shot of the day. I've tried it with the blind and the results are the same. So if i were to try to backflush using the blind on the first shot, the pressure spikes to 11-12bars and very slowly decreases. After 5 seconds i turn off and on the pump again, it goes to 11 and slowly decreases yet again. The subsequent shots however, go to the default 10 bars. Any ideas? Is it an OPV problem or something that i could rectify myself?

#2 ·
try just adjusting the expansion valve to about 9.5 bar. I don't know why the pressure is higher for the first shot. it shouldn't make any difference because the expansion valve is just a rubber pad and a mechanical spring under tension.

#5 ·
Oh that hissing in the background is someone else using the sink. Hmm i've never tried it in eco mode. Let me get back to you on that. On a sidenote, the steam that came out of my machine this morning is less powerful than before. Dont know why but it took twice as long to heat milk, and haven't changed anything from last night. Checked the wand for any clogs but its clean. Temperature shows 140degs while steaming constantly with the valve full open, but the steam pressure is definitely less than what it was.

#7 ·
No the water i use is not that hard at all, about 64ppm. I use filtered tap water. In eco mode, no difference, pressure still goes up to 11 bars even with the steam boiler off. Side note, the steam tap valve was found to be faulty and replaced, steam is great now. Pressure problem remains):

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Kjk Well only if that valve was somehow "defective", there is quite a gap between the moving pad and the walls....and these valves are quite standard used in many prosumer machines.

Thermal expansion plays no part in the pressure readings of an expansion valve regulated machine in the specific situation you mentioned....

#14 ·
I was able to recreate the reported problem with my Lelit Elizabeth (I got in March 2021). I had the machine on for about an hour preheating, I used the blind basket and it hit 10.5 bars. Normally I would press button 1&2 to let some water out before starting my routine, today I forgot to do that. I've seen this happen a couple times, but 90% of the time when I test the OPV it shows 9bars. Weird.

#15 ·
I'm having a similar issue. Pressure spiking to 11-12 bar at times before slowly dropping . Sometimes perfectly set at 9 bar. Happens with coffee or blind basket. Tried reducing opv to 9 bar while running a blank basket. At the time was fine but then about an hour later when pulling a shot spiking up to 11 bar. Really don't understand what's happening

#22 ·
New member here - just joined the forum because I have the same issue since a couple of weeks.

• Machine is about 8 months old

• Exclusively used with Volvic from the bottle from day one

• OPV is set to 9,5-10 bar - no pre-infusion is used.

• The pressure is always way to high on the first one or two shots after the machine has been idle - it goes over 12 bars.

• Only after the third shot in a row the pressure goes back to the normal/set range.

• But the issue starts again after the machine was sitting idle for a while.

You can see a video of it happening here (first run in the morning, blind filter used for demonstration) :

This has become quite annoying and a waste of water as I always have to backflush 1-3 times before I can pull a shot with the correct pressure.

So I too am wondering if anyone has made any progress with this. Would it possible to change the OPV by oneself quite easily?

#24 ·
I am using DaveC's settings - TR is set to 1.

It happens everytime after no shot has been pulled for a short while (let's say more than 15 min or so).
So same after starting from cold in the morning (machine completely shut off) or after idling (still heating on or having gone to standby after 30 min) - it really seems just dependent on whether the valve has been recently active (kind of „broken in", as others described). As if the valve were lazy …

#25 ·
Hmmm…. I know how they work, but I never dissected one. My understanding is, as a very gross overview, a barbell with a lid which is kept shut due to spring pressure. When the pressure of the water exceeds the pressure of the spring, the lid opens and the excess water/pressure is diverted to the cross fitting and then to the tank.

All I can think of is that there's some debris on the OPV or he spring gets more flexible he hotter it gets. But this is speculation - There's better people here who can advice you on a solution or cause. Very strange.

question @treotheo : does this also happen in eco mode?

#27 ·
Hmmm…. I know how they work, but I never dissected one. My understanding is, as a very gross overview, a barbell with a lid which is kept shut due to spring pressure. When the pressure of the water exceeds the pressure of the spring, the lid opens and the excess water/pressure is diverted to the cross fitting and then to the tank.

All I can think of is that there's some debris on the OPV or he spring gets more flexible he hotter it gets. But this is speculation - There's better people here who can advice you on a solution or cause. Very strange.
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/opv-over-pressure-valve

Explains it all and the different types

#33 ·
Hi, all. Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread, but I am having this exact same issue. Just started recently after around 2 months of ownership. Always used very soft water as well. I see that @colamj53x seems to have resolved the issue by adjusting the OPV, but I've already done that (adjusted down to 9 from default 10 when brand new). Did this fix continue to work, @colamj53x? Anyone else get this fixed? If so, may I ask how?

#37 ·
Just found this thread, and chiming in your say I have this issue as well. I've had my Elizabeth adjusted down to about 8 bar for a while now. First shot after idling for a while will spike about 1-1.5 bar higher, then settle down to where I set it. Subsequent back-to-back shots do not spike.

Shots taste fine, but they are inconsistent back-to-back. I have my grind tuned for that first "spiking" shot, and the second shot suffers because of it :(

No fixes yet I take it?

#39 ·
Hi, dmau9600 and others. There is a lengthy discussion, and a possible "fix" located here:

https://*********************.com/d/116-lelit-elizabeth-pressure-spikinginconsistent/

I will note that the fix presented there has not really worked for me, but seems to be working for some. I am now in the process of getting a new OPV from my retailer, and I will try that to see if it works.
Thanks so much for the update - I followed the cleaning and lube instructions on the other forum and seems to have resolved my issue upon initial testing. I posted a lengthier response with pics there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.