This sounds great but will depend largely on price as to whether I would consider replacing a cafelat robot, which is extremely faff-free for making good espresso. 

It does still sound like it's less maintenance than a regular lever machine - no descale etc - which, honestly, it's the main pro for this sort of thing for me, so it might still have a market. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been watching this too and whilst it does look quite elegant , the introduction of the switch on a cable to preheat doesn't match the aesthetics they seem to be trying to create. It reminds me of

@IriscoI might add that the baby faema is beautiful. Even if I am biased. I’ve got photos and a video of it in action if you’re interested 😃 https://www.instagram.com/reel/CPViO9aIG76/?utm_medium=copy

I've been thinking of getting a Flair for a while now, not to replace my Mara X, but for a bit of pressure profiling fun at the weekends. Anyway, been holding off, waiting to see if anything came of t

Is there anybody here who placed an order for a Flair 58? It's one of the machines I'm looking at, but can't pull the trigger, so many options.

Hi Roko, I did 3 days ago. I thought the pre-orders were only for the US but it appeared to be open. So I ordered one. Dispatch in July. The order process wasn't particularly sleek, so let's see if it actually gets processed. 

It probably won't be my daily machine. I thought about taking it on travel and occasionally to the office.

It did add a substantial amount for delivery and duty. Just walk through the steps on the website. This might put you off. Paid £ 505 so far. 

4 hours ago, Roko said:

Is there anybody here who placed an order for a Flair 58? It's one of the machines I'm looking at, but can't pull the trigger, so many options.

I have my name on the waiting list at Doppio who will be selling it but later in the summer. I would rather bide my time that pay huge sums on duties and delivery fees. I also enquired with Flair  about the 58 developing a fault and if  it did then it would have to be returned to the USA if you purchased it on their website. Even people in the U.S haven't had there's yet , I think there was a problem with one of the components and the facebook page has been very quiet about the Flair 58 , I'm sure if many people had it they would be shouting from the rooftops. Not sure if I will purchase one,  I'm just mulling it over and see what people think of them in the U.S over a period of time but thought I would have my name on the list in preparation. They will be making one without the preheat electrical component that will be cheaper according to Flair, depends how much you want the 58mm basket as other models will be cheaper still.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Irisco said:

I have my name on the waiting list at Doppio who will be selling it but later in the summer. I would rather bide my time that pay huge sums on duties and delivery fees. I also enquired with Flair  about the 58 developing a fault and if  it did then it would have to be returned to the USA if you purchased it on their website. Even people in the U.S haven't had there's yet , I think there was a problem with one of the components and the facebook page has been very quiet about the Flair 58 , I'm sure if many people had it they would be shouting from the rooftops. Not sure if I will purchase one,  I'm just mulling it over and see what people think of them in the U.S over a period of time but thought I would have my name on the list in preparation. They will be making one without the preheat electrical component that will be cheaper according to Flair, depends how much you want the 58mm basket as other models will be cheaper still.

Oh thank you I didn't know about Doppio - is there already a price? I guess I could put my name on the list as well, and then decide. 

The Flair without preheating will only be some 50$ cheaper from what I know. I wouldn't really bother! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Roko said:

Oh thank you I didn't know about Doppio - is there already a price? I guess I could put my name on the list as well, and then decide. 

The Flair without preheating will only be some 50$ cheaper from what I know. I wouldn't really bother! 

I didn’t realise only 50$ cheaper, that doesn’t say much for quality of the unit then if that’s all they knock off😩. They haven’t said a price yet. Doppio and Flair seem to contradict each other. Doppio say they are waiting for Flair to release units to them but Flair says they are waiting to be contacted by Doppio. With all this dilly dallying they are missing out on sales.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Funnily enough I just received an e-mail from Doppio this morning:-

We are expecting to hear from Flair US very soon (within a couple of weeks).
You will be notified as soon as we have any news.
Kind regards,

It may be here sooner than I thought, seems that they're finally singing from the same song sheet.
Edited by Irisco
  • Like 1

I own a flair pro and a baby faema (although not a robot) and I think what makes this interesting and different is the heating. It’s not just a way of preheating but also means the temperature during extraction is stable compared to the flair pro and the robot. Whether or not this actually leads to a better result in the cup is of course another thing entirely...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Mike B said:

I own a flair pro and a baby faema (although not a robot) and I think what makes this interesting and different is the heating. It’s not just a way of preheating but also means the temperature during extraction is stable compared to the flair pro and the robot. Whether or not this actually leads to a better result in the cup is of course another thing entirely...

How does the Faema compare to the Flair pro?

@IriscoSo I’ve only been using the baby faema for a couple of weeks and need to experiment further. I have really enjoyed the shots from both but they have a different flavour profile.

Here a few random observations/thoughts so far...

The grind for the baby faema is pretty much the same as for my dual boiler whereas for the flair it’s a good bit coarser. I pull the shots a lot longer (time) on the flair but the baby faema I’ve gone for 1:2 ratio in around 30-35 seconds and the shots have tasted very balanced but more delicate than say made on. The dual boiler. I’m pretty sure that the pressure is a good bit lower on the baby faema and I’d guess peaks at around 6 bar ..? There is a certain similarity to the shots I make on my Conti comocafe and I know that this gets nowhere near 9 bar pressure. I really need to do some head-to-head comparisons between the flair and the baby faema... If I think of it I can post something here 👍 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Mike B said:

@IriscoSo I’ve only been using the baby faema for a couple of weeks and need to experiment further. I have really enjoyed the shots from both but they have a different flavour profile.

Here a few random observations/thoughts so far...

The grind for the baby faema is pretty much the same as for my dual boiler whereas for the flair it’s a good bit coarser. I pull the shots a lot longer (time) on the flair but the baby faema I’ve gone for 1:2 ratio in around 30-35 seconds and the shots have tasted very balanced but more delicate than say made on. The dual boiler. I’m pretty sure that the pressure is a good bit lower on the baby faema and I’d guess peaks at around 6 bar ..? There is a certain similarity to the shots I make on my Conti comocafe and I know that this gets nowhere near 9 bar pressure. I really need to do some head-to-head comparisons between the flair and the baby faema... If I think of it I can post something here 👍 

That's interesting, thank you.

Thanks, yes it's very retro. I wonder how / if it differs to the Robot? The coffee does look good!

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Mike B said:

@IriscoI might add that the baby faema is beautiful. Even if I am biased. I’ve got photos and a video of it in action if you’re interested 😃 https://www.instagram.com/reel/CPViO9aIG76/?utm_medium=copy_link

Wow, the robot is so similar! I wish Cafelat had kept the ends of the handles the same as the baby faema (or round or something) as they are very uncomfortable on the robot. The 'hands' they sell separately should definitely be fitted as standard. I've not used them but they must be an improvement on the death spikes!

• Like 1
On 25/05/2021 at 11:22, Irisco said:

Funnily enough I just received an e-mail from Doppio this morning:-

We are expecting to hear from Flair US very soon (within a couple of weeks).
You will be notified as soon as we have any news.
Kind regards,

It may be here sooner than I thought, seems that they're finally singing from the same song sheet.

Weird - I haven't seen any landing in the US at all (some components shortage of sorts). I suppose they're finally receiving the missing component(s) and thus removing the bottleneck? 

Posted (edited)

Flair have done a good job of hiding the power pack in the promo pics and videos - it looks like a laptop charger 😆Flair 58 - Flair Espresso

Edited by whinmoor85
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, whinmoor85 said:

Flair have done a good job of hiding the power pack in the promo pics and videos - it looks like a laptop charger 😆Flair 58 - Flair Espresso

It’s so archaic looking, just mahoosive! I’m sure that will be one thing they will want to “streamline “ in the future. It’s like Naomi Campbell being coupled with Sid Large.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I probably won't upgrade my Signature to the 58 anytime soon.

I like the look of the 58 and they've provided a solution to manually pre-heating the group head but it's that's ugly laptop charger 😬 

Edited by whinmoor85

@Irisco I suppose it has to handle a fair bit of power and be reliable...I don't think it could be made any smaller.

• Like 1

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!