IGNORED

Odyssey

Enea

@Pasturemaster - I don’t have anything against the design - I don’t think anyone here has. What Most of us are saying is thet it’s not proven, nor demonstrated. As pointed out by @newdent , if the issue is the PCB, then let’s wait and see a few videos of the machine working on a daily workflow, steaming milk, making a couple of coffees. Hopefully with some measurements. After all,  that’s all we, the prospective buyers can base their decisions on. Before anyone paid their £350 + £10 delivery for the Niche Zero, the grinder was taken apart, demonstrated. There was a rather in depth review, which included a lot of writing and lots of videos. There were some pototypes. For this one, thus far, it’s all very scarce. There’s literally nothing out there. With regards to pricing, who is there to say the price will be USD 850 for the subsequent units? You might be getting a bargain. You might be getting a door stopper. At this point in time, there’s not enough information out there which allows me to make a decision. And yes, on paper this is a great machine. If there were more info out there, I’d be on that buyers list, believe me.

Initially I wanted a Londinium Vectis, but I waited and waited (years) and eventually moved on with my life. Good job I did, because it’s still pretty much on paper still. IMO, if his machine succeeds - and I hope it does, the so called Vectis might as well never see the light of day and be confined to the drawing stages forever, as, at least on paper and with the little we know on both camps, the Argos wins hands down. 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

There is no need for "so-called" with respect to the vectis.

We can say its behind schedule,  or quite delayed or also unseen in the wild. This is all true. I have been waiting since 2017 too. 

Same as we can comment on our fears or hopes for the Oddysee without also inventing bigger or further speculated problems.

I think most on this forum, would welcome with open arms any new technology or kit to come to the market. I think, and I may be wrong, that it is the modern approach many, especially us old fuddy duddies find bemusing. Before a product is even in prototype stage, the hype starts. The barrage on social media. The expectation levels are set to high alert. Then, bit by bit you find out key information which leads to inevitable delays and people start to become slightly deflated.

There were some on this forum who had a vested interest in the success of the Londinium Vectis and so were quite happy to promote it blindly whilst dissing anything thing else available, buy they and those days are long gone @Pasturemaster to be replaced by a happy space where we welcome all. But, that does not mean we may not question or even criticise somethings. I for one, hope that the Odyssey project really takes off and becomes a worldwide success. Nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing someone innovate successfully and genuinely bring a new product to the market. But I do wish firms would follow the older style business model, akin to say Dragons Den as opposed to making nice videos and flooding to Crowdfunding!

Edited by dfk41

L A L A T C...........29 and counting

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-orders open tomorrow. Prices seem reasonable except I'm disappointed on the bluetooth pressure transducer. Looks like it will be something similar to the SEP transducer and will presumably be mounted on top of the piston instead of an analogue gauge.

Not the best looking and whilst cheaper than the SEP option, is hoped this functionality would be included in the price which was part of its appeal.

Still think I'm going to wait until these are reviewed and available to buy off of the shelf rather than take the risk of pre-ordering. 

Edited by newdent

Hey Newdent.
I think the BT transducer is only for the pressure input, there is still BT temperature data to your phone in the basic model(I believe).
I can’t convince myself that the ability to be able to see a squiggly line showing what I pulled is worth the $250usd.
The rest of the stuff is cheap, $15 for a spring, $85 for a piston? 😛

28 minutes ago, Pasturemaster said:

Hey Newdent.
I think the BT transducer is only for the pressure input, there is still BT temperature data to your phone in the basic model(I believe).
I can’t convince myself that the ability to be able to see a squiggly line showing what I pulled is worth the $250usd.
The rest of the stuff is cheap, $15 for a spring, $85 for a piston? 😛

I think it depends on the person.

I switch coffees very regularly, so the ability to trend all the parameters of my shot, add a few notes incl. grind setting and save is really useful when returning back to that bean. A trend of the temperature is interesting but nowhere near as useful as the pressure, flow rate and yield.

If you want to trend pressure then $250 is still cheaper than the available systems. SEP charge $460 excl. tax for theirs; https://www.naked-portafilter.com/product/smart-espresso-profiler-for-3/ Espressolog.app use a TE M5600, which can be had for £200ish.

I was hoping that Odessey were going to use something else as there's no need to go the bluetooth route if they're already using a BLE chip on their control board. I guess I wired device would have been unsightly but the bluetooth transducers are hardly good looking and the savings in cost would have been significant.

• 4 weeks later...

Things seem to me moving along with the Argos....soon they will be out in the field, interesting times ahead.

• Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

1 hour ago, newdent said:

I was thinking the opposite, no proper updates for nearly 3 weeks!

The company has a prototype, they have been testing, it works. It's probably not all perfect, but that's just details...the concept seems OK from what I've seen. Another small lever due to hit the market "on the 12th of never", is just a cad drawing from what I've been told. The Argos could be another 6 to 9 months away, which is not long in total, when developing a completely new machine, from scratch..

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.