IGNORED

Odyssey

Enea

I think there is a gamble alright, and it's expensive if it goes wrong and a potential bargain of its maybe 2/3 right.

Ill have a look at the details when the pre orders open and I really hope this project delivers.

A spring la pav thay can pull 3 shots back to back would do it for me tbf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveholt said:

A spring la pav thay can pull 3 shots back to back

But at the moment, you don't even know if it can pull one decently, let alone three. 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Many years ago, a pal of mine was a Building Society manager and without naming the person, he told me that X had visited him to try to raise some funds for a commercial housing development. The basis was that he wanted to secure the total project cost by raising funds against the expected value of the deal.....not the actual value of the land which was even without planning permission. His comment was, he expects my society to put up all the funds, take all the risk whilst he walks away with all the profit.

Crowdfunding at its best in 1985!

It is hard to be humble when you are as great as I am Muhammed Ali February 25, 1964

39 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

crowd funding works sometimes tho doesn't it..

Sometimes, but it doesn't give the expected return to those "investing" as often as it should.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

@Cuprajake Yes it does, but the point is it has been around in one form or another for years. Somehow, if it is now done via Platform, then it appears often, as if the deal is ok. The Odyssey deal is appalling.....but others may see it differently

It is hard to be humble when you are as great as I am Muhammed Ali February 25, 1964

Just now, steveholt said:

And in a way that's the 850 dollar crowd funding gamble

When was the last time you put $850 on a horse race!

• Thanks 1

Just now, dfk41 said:

When was the last time you put $850 on a horse race!

Never have, and I haven't on the Odysee either.

I have backed 4 crowd funded coffee projects over the years.

2 delivered products at significant cost reduction to current RRP, one of which was from a known specialty coffee company and one from a new company.

1 is TBC and the last is a scales that's name escapes me but didn't come to fruition and gave refunds.

The other three were The Aergrind, the Niche and the Weber Key.

The Odyssee has a lot of info to deliver before I make any decision, but I am not going to rule it in nor out just yet.

I haven't handed over a penny, I'm happy to see if what they promise and what the terms of engagement/refund are come funding time.

Between now and then we are all just speculating. Informed/suitably skeptical speculation in part, but it's still speculation. 

• Like 1

I can’t believe they called it Argos.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

9 minutes ago, lake_m said:

I can’t believe they called it Argos.

Better than Poundland........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pasturemaster said:

Only relevant in the UK I’m afraid.

Yep. Still, one of the highly potential markets. 

Reminds me of the choice of name for the Mitsubishi Pajero (“Shogun” in the UK). The name doesn’t go well in Spain and Spanish speaking Latin America. I let you find out why. On those markets, it was named “Montero”.

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

9 hours ago, Pasturemaster said:

When was the last time you spent $850 on a case of wine?
Plenty of people do it regularly.

Whats the gamble? You buy something, you receive something.....that is not fuelling another persons dreams!

28 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Sorry if this has already been posted

There are a few problems for now that will be fixed in the future. You find more out if you are on discord (EAF server) where the producer is present and does live chat sometimes.

In the prototype from the video, the boards are made by a friend, and they are not done right, he is waiting for boards from China made professional that will be in the final unit. Because of that as you can see they can only push 25g out instead of 50g+.

There are leaks in the back, and it just doesn't look ready, from an engineer point of view this I like to see stuff like this, from a customer stand point absolutely not. Some people might think they are novice that dont know what they are doing.

There are many things that will be discovered while the unit is approaching production, bugs, parts wont fit, software/bluetooth miss communication and stuff like that. 

As for the price, keep dreaming. 850$ might be a pre-order for the basic unit in the first run.

to the 850$ machine made in US and shipped from there, you add 100-150$ shipping (7kg+packing) you add tax and vat for the countries that have one. If you are willing to add some extra features on it, you are closer to 1500$ mark with the final price.

1500$ for a small machine that has some components and features a Pavoni was problematic at? sounds expensive. I am not a fan of small things, that is why you dont see anymore small grinders or espresso machines at my place. 

Edited by Denis S
  • Thanks 1

I agree with most of what you say Denis.
Where I deviate is in price, size and comparison with the LP.
In Australia a new plastic group LP is about $1400aud.
It is rare to find a 20yo unrestored Millennium LP for less than $1k aud and I have never seen a pre millennium come up for sale.
By the time one adds a metal piston and liner, boiler gauge, group pressure gauge and a group isolator you are looking at about $2k.
This still has no electronic assistance for temperature control, no spring option and is a design that the parent company hasn’t been bothered trying to improve in over twenty years.
I don’t want a large machine, I already have an E61 machine on my bench.
I want a simple, modern lever with built in water/boiler and no plastic components.
I also couldn’t be bothered faffing around with tiny adjustments trying to get the ultimate god shot, I rarely sink a shot unless I have tried another light roast that ends up too sour.

I am somewhat bemused and disappointed by the amount of negativity shown here to new designs.
Not just the Argos but seemingly every new product is shown the sword by the starchamber.
I would have hoped that coffee enthusiasts would applaud and be excited by new designs and projects rather than deride everything from appearance to sales models.

Anyhow, if it all eventuates, I’ll let you know how it works for me. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pasturemaster said:

I agree with most of what you say Denis.
Where I deviate is in price, size and comparison with the LP.
In Australia a new plastic group LP is about $1400aud.
It is rare to find a 20yo unrestored Millennium LP for less than $1k aud and I have never seen a pre millennium come up for sale.
By the time one adds a metal piston and liner, boiler gauge, group pressure gauge and a group isolator you are looking at about $2k.
This still has no electronic assistance for temperature control, no spring option and is a design that the parent company hasn’t been bothered trying to improve in over twenty years.
I don’t want a large machine, I already have an E61 machine on my bench.
I want a simple, modern lever with built in water/boiler and no plastic components.
I also couldn’t be bothered faffing around with tiny adjustments trying to get the ultimate god shot, I rarely sink a shot unless I have tried another light roast that ends up too sour.

I am somewhat bemused and disappointed by the amount of negativity shown here to new designs.
Not just the Argos but seemingly every new product is shown the sword by the starchamber.
I would have hoped that coffee enthusiasts would applaud and be excited by new designs and projects rather than deride everything from appearance to sales models.

Anyhow, if it all eventuates, I’ll let you know how it works for me. :)

I'd say the comments have been very positive in general.

Are you saying you wouldn't prefer that more of the functions are proven before investing £1k? From what I've read, the initial backers of the niche got a preferential deal. If there was a benefit offered to the first 200 that allowed production to begin, then fair enough but it does seem like a large gamble on an unproven machine. 

The designer has answered lots of questions on Instagram with certainty, so why not share how he's tested those features. The reason nothing's being shared at the moment is that the PCB has broken and he's had to order a new design from China, what if the next 10 designs fail? What if a major flaw develops during testing. 

I know nothing about product design but if I was building something, even just to give to some mates, I'd want to thoroughly test it first. He's saying shipping in November. Is 4 months enough time to do that?! Personally, there's no monetary gain to be had by backing early on, so may as well hold back and make sure it has no major issues before investing. 

Edited by newdent
  • Like 1