IGNORED

Odyssey

Enea

5 minutes ago, Norvin said:

I'd love to see this offered as a kit. Price reflecting the lack of assembly labour costs and perhaps saving on VAT and duty. Some kit cars were sold like this; buy a ready made one or buy a kit of the most important parts and build one up yourself. Would make a great project.

I agree, a kit would be very popular, make for easier shipping and ensure end customers were familiar enough with their machine to easily effect a repair using supplied parts. I imagine they will only be doing a parts warranty.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

3 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

interesting - sorry my bad, should’ve re-read all the specs. 

question: if the water in the boiler is going to be kept at brew temp, so you know whether there will be a pump or something to push he water to the group or will the water in there be kept at slight above boiling? 

edit: looking at the photos on their site, there's a pipe from the bottom of the boiler to the group. To the water will have to be above 100C in order to make it's way up there. 

Would also love to know how the steam wand works. From the pictures, it seems like it's coming from the bottom of the boiler too... Maybe there's a pipe that runs inside the boiler which grabs steam from the top? 

To me, at least, I need more answers 🙂 

As you've seen, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of lever machines but could raising the lever pull water into the group (sort of like filling a syringe)?

9 minutes ago, newdent said:

As you've seen, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of lever machines but could raising the lever pull water into the group (sort of like filling a syringe)?

They don't work like that...The main boiler is under pressure as it's usually above 100C, this forces the water into the group once the chamber ports are exposed as the piston reaches the full up position. An actuator on the rear operated by a cam opens the valve to these ports. Then steam pressure pushes water out of a shared boiler to fill the group. Or on a machine like the Veusivus Evo a pump fills the group from a dedicated brew boiler.

The reason raising the lever can't pull water in is the big open area at the bottom of the group which lets air in, even if the PF is full of coffee....it's not airtight. Plus the Piston seals work in one direction....when the lever moves down or is static.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Thanks 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

19 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

They don't work like that...The main boiler is under pressure as it's usually above 100C, this forces the water into the group once the chamber ports are exposed as the piston reaches the full up position. An actuator on the rear operated by a cam opens the valve to these ports. Then steam pressure pushes water out of a shared boiler to fill the group. Or on a machine like the Veusivus Evo a pump fills the group from a dedicated brew boiler.

The reason raising the lever can't pull water in is the big open area at the bottom of the group which lets air in, even if the PF is full of coffee....it's not airtight. Plus the Piston seals work in one direction....when the lever moves down or is static.

Interesting, thanks for the info. 

In that case, I look forward to the videos showing back to back shots and how it manages temperature. 

Also hoping for a light wood version as not sure how I feel about the dark wood. Instagram seems to indicate light wood and black are possible options. White would go nicely with my niche... 🤔

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, for those not following on Instagram (go check out the new photos and videos), Odyssey have built a full production machine and will be opening pre-orders next week with base machine costing $850. He said he'll need 200 to have enough funds to start production, all detailed in full if you sign up at https://www.odysseyespresso.com

I'm pretty keen personally dependant on how much extra the add-ons are. He's mentioned on posts on Instagram that additional features like pressure gauge and pressure transmitter will be inexpensive, so let's hope that remains the case! I'd love to see some temperature and pressure tends in real time, this keeps being promised but nothing has been put up, it's a lot of money to invest without knowing how well it performs. 

He's mentioned that colour choices will be walnut or oak with options for black or white. 

If I paid for this on my credit card, how much are you protected if worst case scenario, orders never materialise?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, newdent said:

it's a lot of money to invest without knowing how well it performs. 

That’s the key factor for me. If he was smart, he would at least had the machine sent to some of the key enthusiasts around the world, for their feedback. Doesn’t need to be published. He can then iterate over, and do it again, until the overall feedback is positive. 

Seems to me he’s skipping restricted alpha testing, and going straight to beta testing on a production level. Crazy. It might be good, it might well work, but without the evidence and facts showing it works… it’s a risky business. 

edit: like, how’s this any different from a La Pavoni, or a Ponte Vecchio? We all know they overheat like mad. How’s the water reaching the group? How’s the temperature managed? All it says it’s the magical PID… but what does it mean? What’s the temperature at the group when pulling a shot? And how consistent is it? I need more facts! 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

3 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

That’s the key factor for me. If he was smart, he would at least had the machine sent to some of the key enthusiasts around the world, for their feedback. Doesn’t need to be published. He can then iterate over, and do it again, until the overall feedback is positive. 

Seems to me he’s skipping restricted alpha testing, and going straight to beta testing on a production level. Crazy. It might be good, it might well work, but without the evidence and facts showing it works… it’s a risky business. 

Yes, it's almost suspicious (though I'm extremely cynical) that he has no information up whatsoever on it actually making coffee and streaming milk. The few videos he has got up are all gushers and I don't think there's any videos of it being used in manual. 

Even kickstarters come with quite lengthy videos showing their test models in use. 

Last but not least, he's renamed it to 'Argos'. I just hope it not written on it in red lettering. Ha.

@MediumRoastSteam I'd second this, it's surprising how many things come out of alpha testing and prototype testing. Often the designer can be blind to the issues users can experience. It's definitely a high risk strategy.

16 minutes ago, newdent said:

though I'm extremely cynical

Join the club mate! 😂😂😂😂

16 minutes ago, newdent said:

renamed it to 'Argos’

‘Order no. 120 ready at collection point “B” please’. Branding excercise failure. Obviously didn’t do some basic research on target markets. Gosh… and I don’t even work in marketing. 

15 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Often the designer can be blind to the issues users can experience

exactly. I’ve worked in software engineering for a while now. Everything is great when the programmers test it, and use it. Then the cold reality hits home.

How can anyone release a product without the release of meaningful information is beyond me. likewise, how can anyone actually buy a product that hasn’t even been demonstrated to perform to an acceptable standard is even more worrying. Maybe some of us have lots of cash to spare.

edit: they seem to have skipped alpha, beta, and general release. They went straight to version 2.0! 😂😂😂🍿🍿🍿

image.thumb.png.913529395b16b1735241b5a73e37c911.png

sorry for coming across so negatively. I also had high expectations. But to me, looks like it’s been rushed through production. At this point, good luck to them. I’m out.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Agreed, he needs to get these models in the hands of some people that know what they're doing and get them to use them every day for at least a few weeks. Get them testing all different roast levels, back to back shots, etc to discover any issues. 

I think his approach is to get pre-orders in and offer refunds so that testing can continue on the run up to the shipping date.

My concern with that is if they discover something major that they can't resolve, how protected is your money? Will paying by credit card work?

If so, I'd be happy to give him a chance but I'd really like to see some evidence that the features he's claiming can be delivered on. He talks as if he knows everything works as claimed, so why not share that information to put people's minds at ease because at the moment I'm getting massive Fyre Festival vibes!

29 minutes ago, newdent said:

Will paying by credit card work

I have no idea. It would be best to check the small print (Overseas purchase, a product that's not in actual production, etc, etc). 

I’ll sit this one out as well. Also mentions 6 bar spring, which isn’t surprising given its size, but that would be at the bottom end of what I’d like as it just creeps into espresso range. Might work ok but I’ll wait for the Beta testers (or is it Alpha?) first

4 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

I’ll sit this one out as well. Also mentions 6 bar spring, which isn’t surprising given its size, but that would be at the bottom end of what I’d like as it just creeps into espresso range. Might work ok but I’ll wait for the Beta testers (or is it Alpha?) first

I read it as the 6bar spring was an optional extra, might be worth checking that. Plus there's manual control or is that of no interest?

I think waiting is probably sensible so long as the price doesn't creep up! 

10 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

You could be right, not 100% clear. Not interested in manual, have a Robot for that 

Ah I see, I'll be replacing my robot with this (maybe). I'll keep both for a while and see which I prefer. Milk steaming situation is a pain atm.

Edited by newdent

Yes there is an 8 bar spring that comes standard, a 6 bar spring is an option or spin the top of the group and remove the spring for manual.
There is a plumb-in kit in the pipeline(no pun intended).
The spring appears short but the piston is recessed and about 1/3-1/2 of the spring sits inside the piston.
I might end up getting burnt (possibly literally as that top SS plate is going to be hot) but this little beastie pushes a lot of buttons for me.
It is about the same price as a 20yo unrestored, unpimped LP in Oz with hopefully better temp management, no plastic parts and a 50ml shot ability.
For the Vegans, oops I mean Decenterati, there is software available so you can compare squiggly lines on charts.
What’s not to love. :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pasturemaster said:

Yes there is an 8 bar spring that comes standard, a 6 bar spring is an option or spin the top of the group and remove the spring for manual.
There is a plumb-in kit in the pipeline(no pun intended).
The spring appears short but the piston is recessed and about 1/3-1/2 of the spring sits inside the piston.
I might end up getting burnt (possibly literally as that top SS plate is going to be hot) but this little beastie pushes a lot of buttons for me.
It is about the same price as a 20yo unrestored, unpimped LP in Oz with hopefully better temp management, no plastic parts and a 50ml shot ability.
For the Vegans, oops I mean Decenterati, there is software available so you can compare squiggly lines on charts.
What’s not to love. :)

All the features are at this point unproven though. If it delivers on the features, then no doubt it'll be a bargain and probably very popular! I'm keeping an eye for sure.

• Like 1