IGNORED

Odyssey

Enea

8 minutes ago, PortafilterProcrastinator said:

Well that's good given the price! 

And what price would that be matey?

It is hard to be humble when you are as great as I am Muhammed Ali February 25, 1964

If the odyssey ends up looking like the renders, it's going to be one very popular little machine. It would be really nice to see this small company become successful. The target date of May 2021 for the first test units in the field looks realistic. It will be very interesting to see the results of the tests.

• Like 2

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

1 hour ago, Enea said:

If it’s well built, it could even gobble up Cremina market share (added functionality for less $$$)

Doubt it......obviously on price then you are right, but did the Evo 4 kill the RS2000 market (Rally cars!)

It is hard to be humble when you are as great as I am Muhammed Ali February 25, 1964

2 hours ago, dfk41 said:

Doubt it......obviously on price then you are right, but did the Evo 4 kill the RS2000 market (Rally cars!)

Not sure the Cremina stacks up to the exclusivity of an RS2000 😉

And I’d daily the Evo, but not the RS!

1 minute ago, Enea said:

Not sure the Cremina stacks up to the exclusivity of an RS2000 😉

And I’d daily the Evo, but not the RS!

You obviously are not my age! 

• Like 1

I have been eyeing this since day 1. It's down to Odyssey and the LC (Vectis) for me. The Odyssey seems to have an actual roadmap that they are sticking to and an actual release so I'm really looking forward to it later this year.

4 minutes ago, Eklektik said:

I have been eyeing this since day 1. It's down to Odyssey and the LC (Vectis) for me. The Odyssey seems to have an actual roadmap that they are sticking to and an actual release so I'm really looking forward to it later this year.

There again, selecting the Vectis will give you longer to save up!!

Edited by dfk41

It's beautiful and the specs look impressive.

The specified 50g max shot yield I assume is the volume of water delivered to the group so could be a lot less?

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone else keeping a close eye on this? I was seriously considering the flair 58 but this makes the flair look like a toy in comparison. A lot more features and if they hit their $800 price point then I'm in. Waiting to see how their pre-production machines perform but very likely to be buying one of these once pre-sales start! Excited. 

41 minutes ago, newdent said:

Anyone else keeping a close eye on this? I was seriously considering the flair 58 but this makes the flair look like a toy in comparison. A lot more features and if they hit their $800 price point then I'm in. Waiting to see how their pre-production machines perform but very likely to be buying one of these once pre-sales start! Excited. 

Same here. Keeping a close eye, but I wouldn’t buy it blind. Would want to see at least some users feedback first, specially with regards to overheating and temperature management. PID is no silver bullet, at least not with that type of architecture. 

saying that… the Vectis is another one I’m watching very closely… but then… I’ve been watching it very closely since 2017! 😂😂😂😂 - if they don’t hurry up, Londinium might end up missing the boat on this new generation of small levers.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

4 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Same here. Keeping a close eye, but I wouldn’t buy it blind. Would want to see at least some users feedback first, specially with regards to overheating and temperature management. PID is no silver bullet, at least not with that type of architecture. 

I am also keeping a close eye, I think the easy conversion from manual to spring lever is good, as is the use of a PID to try and control temperature. If it ends up looking as good as the renders, the manufacturers of similar machines need to watch out.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

34 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

saying that… the Vectis is another one I’m watching very closely… but then… I’ve been watching it very closely since 2017! 😂😂😂😂 - if they don’t hurry up, Londinium might end up missing the boat on this new generation of small levers.

Yes, I had similar thoughts regarding temp management. That's a big block of metal to try cool down once it's got hot with presumably no way of cooling it without doing so manually. I'm also intrigued regarding the temp being monitored at the group and the boiler. Assuming the heating gets done in the boiler, unless there's a constant flow of water between the the two locations, I don't see how you can do much to control the temperature once you've filled the group and started pulling the shot so what's the point of that sensor apart from knowing what the temperature was when you started the shot. 

I'm sure the Londinium will be nice but assume it won't compete on price. How do these more expensive levers prevent overheating? Do they have a separate cold water tank and boiler and are therefore able to use cold water to prevent overheating?

Oh and I've noticed the designer has avoided answering some of the more challenging questions on Instagram, so would definitely hope for an in-depth run down of all the functions before committing to buy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newdent said:

I'm sure the Londinium will be nice but assume it won't compete on price

Well… the idea was that the Vectis was going to cost around £1k, hence why I mentioned. Granted that info was from a while ago and things might have changed since. I don’t want to derail the thread though as it’s not about the Vectis. 

back on the Odissey, if they are going to use a similar system to the La Pavoni, (water in the boiler kept at steam temp) then I can’t see how the group will be able to disperse the temperature or keep that steady at a pre-set temp.

we shall wait and see what the features are. Exciting for sure! 

10 minutes ago, newdent said:

How do these more expensive levers prevent overheating? Do they have a separate cold water tank and boiler and are therefore able to use cold water to prevent overheating?

The Londiniums have a thermosyphon. It circulates the water from the boiler, kept at steam temperature, between the group and the boiler by convection. I don’t know exactly how the water arrives at the group, whether it’s from the tank through an HX or exclusive from the boiler. The group then acts as a heat sink. Most of its user base really rate the machine, but there’s not a great deal of evidence out there of what temperature the coffee has been brewed with. So, who knows… 

the Pro-800 is a dipper. The water, kept at steam temp in the boiler fills the group. There’s no thermosyphon, and the heat transfer is by means of conduction and when the water fills the group. The group also acts as a heat sink.

The Vesuvius Evo Leva is a dual boiler machine AND the group also has heating elements, which are all configurable. So there’s no guess work. It’s just a matter of keeping the water stable at the set temperature coming from the boiler, through the group, and into the cup. You can set and see the real time temperature of the group and the boilers via the display. 

The above is as per my understanding of the machines. Someone please correct me if I said anything incorrect. 

I don’t think there’s any modern lever machine which uses cold water to keep the temperature by means of cooling down the group.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

I think the idea will be to keep the boiler at brew temperature and then select steam mode to raise the temperature, so an advantage over the la pavoni there. The designer has said on Instagram that the boiler is so small that the temperature can be controlled quite easily. Says he will upload temperature data from 6 back to back shots.

I read the piston sweep is 50ml of water, so not sure what the max ratios will end up as, could be an issue for some people. I usually have lower ratios but it's nice to pull the shot for a bit longer if something has gone wrong. 

interesting - sorry my bad, should’ve re-read all the specs. 

question: if the water in the boiler is going to be kept at brew temp, so you know whether there will be a pump or something to push he water to the group or will the water in there be kept at slight above boiling? 

edit: looking at the photos on their site, there's a pipe from the bottom of the boiler to the group. To the water will have to be above 100C in order to make it's way up there. 

Would also love to know how the steam wand works. From the pictures, it seems like it's coming from the bottom of the boiler too... Maybe there's a pipe that runs inside the boiler which grabs steam from the top? 

To me, at least, I need more answers 🙂 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

I'd love to see this offered as a kit. Price reflecting the lack of assembly labour costs and perhaps saving on VAT and duty. Some kit cars were sold like this; buy a ready made one or buy a kit of the most important parts and build one up yourself. Would make a great project.

• Like 2