IGNORED

Spring Lever Machines on the Market

Being new to all of this and liking the idea of a spring lever more and more I decided to put together a list of what's available.

This is what I've come up with so far. I have tried to keep to home/ prosumer machines, but there are a few in there that have snuck in... 

Conscious they are all very different. At some point I might do a more comprehensive table, but there's plenty more procrastinating to do before then.  

• Ponte Vecchio 
    • Export 
    • Lusso 
  • Londinium 
    • Compressa 
    • L1
    • R24 
    • Vectis (TBC) 
  • QuickMill 
    • Rapida 
  • Bezzera 
    • Strega 
  • Izzo 
    • Alex Leva (Commercial/ Plumbed only) 
    • Valexia Leva (Commercial/ Plumbed only)
  • Fracino 
    • Retro (Commercial/ Plumbed only) 
  • ACS 
    • Vostok 
  • Bosco
    • Sorrento 
    • Posillipo 
  • Fiorenzato 
    • Piazza San Marco (Availability??) 
  • Profitec
    • Pro800 
  • Salvatore 
    • Compact 
  • Olympia 
    • Cremina 
  • Elektra 
    • Microcasa Leva
  • La San Marco 
    • 85 Leva (Commercial/ Plumbed only)
    • 20/20 Leva (Commercial/ Plumbed only)

What others are there out there? 

Edited by PortafilterProcrastinator
List Updated

Cremina is not sprung matey.......also you might like to further sort them into single/dual spring and pf or group size

Apologies, the new one is!

Edited by dfk41

I love a decent send off..............

• 1 month later...
On 12/03/2021 at 20:02, PortafilterProcrastinator said:

Pre-orders taken and product shipping in weeks/ month or two - seems real enough not to need that.  

As has proved to be the case. Perhaps he was assuming (as usual) it would be the same as the Londinium Compact, regarding delivery timescales.

Edited by DavecUK

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

13 minutes ago, danielpugh said:

Just noticed that the compressa should have a note to say that is plumbed in.

For the izzo leva etc - yes plumbed in, but not commercial specific to my knowledge - they are the same casing as duetto and available from @BlackCatCoffee for home use.

You say the Izzo is not commercial, but do you happen to know what size the boiler is on it?

8 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

You say the Izzo is not commercial, but do you happen to know what size the boiler is on it?

I do - yes it's blooming massive - that's good isn't it?  Same size box as a duetto still.  I'd have one at home now if it wasn't for the Vostok. Marketed in the same range as the duetto (http://www.alexduetto.com/).  Plenty at homes in the USA, Europe and Australia.  Still I bow to the opinions of others...

Edited by danielpugh

Not knocking the Izzo.......it is well respected in the coffee van community in the UK, which made me presume it was a commercially orientated machine. I had a Bosco once and that had 6 to 7 litre boiler......to me it just meant a longer warm up time!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, danielpugh said:

I do - yes it's blooming massive - that's good isn't it?  Same size box as a duetto still.  I'd have one at home now if it wasn't for the Vostok. Marketed in the same range as the duetto (http://www.alexduetto.com/).  Plenty at homes in the USA, Europe and Australia.  Still I bow to the opinions of others...

12 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Not knocking the Izzo.......it is well respected in the coffee van community in the UK, which made me presume it was a commercially orientated machine. I had a Bosco once and that had 6 to 7 litre boiler......to me it just meant a longer warm up time!

I put it down as commercial due to plumb only and the 5ltr boiler. Not just the time taken to heat up, but the time to get through 5ltr! 

Assuming a few drinks a day, all that boiling and re-boiling can't be good can it? 

At some point I will get around to doing the actual table with spring configurations, portafilter size and boiler size. But just haven't had a chance. 

5 minutes ago, PortafilterProcrastinator said:

I put it down as commercial due to plumb only and the 5ltr boiler. Not just the time taken to heat up, but the time to get through 5ltr! 

Assuming a few drinks a day, all that boiling and re-boiling can't be good can it? 

At some point I will get around to doing the actual table with spring configurations, portafilter size and boiler size. But just haven't had a chance. 

That's cool - the compressa is plumb only...

• Like 1

regarding the large boiler on the Alex Izzo Leva - and I have one on order - my understanding is that boiler size is not a major determinant of overall heat up / readiness time ( a kettle can boil a litre of water in a small number of minutes,) which is determined by passive group heating, conceivably faster with a larger thermal mass of water heating the group.   The actively heated group on the Vostok is the feature that nearly turned me in this direction.    

Many home espresso machines have brew boilers that mean water will be hanging around for at least a good few days with light domestic use unless you flush genorously- the Izzo Leva certainly takes this to extremes ( the 5 L boiler has I think about 2-3 L of liquid in it, the remainder being steam space, as it is a dipper ) and I have decided to handle this by emptying out a litre or so of hot water via the HW outlet every day or two to avoid the boiler water getting too stale.  Does this seem like a reasonable approach?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TomR said:

regarding the large boiler on the Alex Izzo Leva - and I have one on order - my understanding is that boiler size is not a major determinant of overall heat up / readiness time ( a kettle can boil a litre of water in a small number of minutes,) which is determined by passive group heating, conceivably faster with a larger thermal mass of water heating the group.   The actively heated group on the Vostok is the feature that nearly turned me in this direction.    

Many home espresso machines have brew boilers that mean water will be hanging around for at least a good few days with light domestic use unless you flush genorously- the Izzo Leva certainly takes this to extremes ( the 5 L boiler has I think about 2-3 L of liquid in it, the remainder being steam space, as it is a dipper ) and I have decided to handle this by emptying out a litre or so of hot water via the HW outlet every day or two to avoid the boiler water getting too stale.  Does this seem like a reasonable approach?  

I believe that's right.  Group heatup will take longer (solution being a timing switch).  Group cartridges are a bonus for me, the main pull was the ability to adjust brew/group temps while maintaining steam (we drink a lot of milk drinks).  That and the group manometer which I think will be handy.  

• 4 months later...
On 19/04/2021 at 03:49, danielpugh said:

Just noticed that the compressa should have a note to say that is plumbed in.

For the izzo leva etc - yes plumbed in, but not commercial specific to my knowledge - they are the same casing as duetto and available from @BlackCatCoffee for home use.

From memory the Alex and Valexia were developed in response to requests, including from DaveCUK, for a prosumer version of their multiple group head levers. (I have a Valexia on order with an ETA of September 30 ... counting down the days).  So yes, pretty sure they are not intended as being suitable only in a commercial setting.

1 hour ago, tompoland said:

From memory the Alex and Valexia were developed in response to requests, including from DaveCUK, for a prosumer version of their multiple group head levers. (I have a Valexia on order with an ETA of September 30 ... counting down the days).  So yes, pretty sure they are not intended as being suitable only in a commercial setting.

@tompoland I asked them to make the Izzo Alex Duetto back in the day and did the top level work for the design and specification. I loved the Pompeii Levers and wanted them to make a smaller 1 group for the home, they only had a 1 group with a huge boiler. Their concern was tipping, so they wouldn't do it. The 2 levers mentioned were nothing to do with me.😉

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee