Coffee Forums banner

Replacing Mobile Phone Batteries

465 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Nopapercup 
#1 ·
Seeing as a lot on here have no issue with getting under the hood of their coffee gear, I was wondering if people tend to do the same when it comes to their phones and replacing batteries. There was a time when I'd replace my phone whenever I was due an upgrade, but with my last phone I (I mean I paid someone in the Carphone Warehouse to) changed the battery at the 2 year stage and got another 2 years out of it before deciding it was time for an upgrade.

I'm 2.5 years into life with my Samsung S9 - I really like the phone and don't see the point of upgrading - especially as the phone is paid off and my monthly bill has dropped to £8 a month at the 2 year point. Looking online it doesn't look too difficult, but there are a few tools required, which you can seem to buy easily enough. My main concern is sourcing a genuine battery - which tends to be a bit of a minefield.

#2 ·
Getting the glass back off without fracturing it is really tricky. I'd just assume you need a new back, they're not expensive.

Then warm up the back with a hot air gun, spatula to ease it off. Be careful as there are some wires connected. Look on youtube.

Once the back is off it's very easy to swap the battery and pretty easy to fit a new back on. You need to swap the camera and flash etc over but these just pop out with a little warmth from the hot air gun.

I've done it on several phones. Its a 15-20min job. I've never managed to not crack the back though.

Also. When you refit the new back, make sure absolutely everything is cleaned out of the little ridge where the adhesive sits. Go to town on this bit. It has to be spotless. If you don't get it really clean your new back won't sit and seal properly which is a bit annoying.

#4 ·
@dutchy101

Do you need to change the battery? Apple and Samsung were fined in 2018 for using software updates to slow down certain phones but I haven't noticed any slow down in my girlfriend's Samsung phone, it's not done in the same way any more. A close friend still rocks an S9 as he says it's as good as when he purchased it. If you've noticed a slowdown and you've updated the OS, fine, but if it's a pre-emptive strike, I wouldn't bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.