Why is there no post with grinder rankings... 

Price not a concern ranked on grind/ ability to grind

its such a mind field, like seriously crazy. 🤦‍♂️

Whos going start off with a list 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think each persons experience on grinder varies

Laser analysis for grind  costs a lot and means nothing to 99.9 percent of people . Buy a gridner , log  off the forum , enjoy your future coffee  

I am curious in case of a blind taste how many of us would be capable to spot the coffee from a 300£ grinder and a 1500£ one. I surely won't.

15 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

How are you going to rank the grinds?

Needs expensive equipment for espresso, even when you have the data, correlations with preference are loose. Equipment is chap for filter, but still loose in terms of correlation.

People usually rank by price, anticipated workflow, dose consistency, looks, height etc. To claim to have tangible insights into any other aspect is probably more noise than information.

hey (NB - i am a newbie so the following is a regurgitation of what i have gleaned from this forum and elsewhere but hope it helps - i wont be offended it you ignore though)

from what i have gathered, the quality of a grinder seems to be too subjective to put into a formal ranking  - i guess a bit like ranking cars: what you like and how you want to use it are such important factors that no single list can exist - a Ferrari is no good if you want to go on holiday with 4 kids and a dog.

To get to a grinder decision and to help you navigate through this section, i think there are a 3 'easy' decisions to make:

1- do you want to change the way you make coffee regularly (daily or multiple times / week) - if so ease of moving from 1 grind type to another is likely to be really important to you

2- do you want to chop and change your beans regularly - if so you are likely to value either a small hopper or a single dosing grinder

3- do you have size constraints - this will help to determine whether a commercial type (stock or modified) grinder or one designed for home use would work

Once you have answered these 3 questions - i think you will get a lot more targeted advice from people on this forum. You may also get asked questions which you don't know the answer to - like do you prefer the taste of flat of conical burrs. 

If you genuinely have zero budget constraints you will likely find yourself looking at grinders in excess of £1500 (similar to the car analogy - if you are happy to spend £100k on a car, you are unlikely to find yourself in a Ford garage)

Hope this helps

Jon

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Tinkstar said:

I rank “ insert gridner I currently own “ the best 

IMHO I’d say you  cant really eyeball grind consistency beyond the outer reaches of it being near useless Tbh 

All grinders should have the ability to grind 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, profesor_historia said:

I am curious in case of a blind taste how many of us would be capable to spot the coffee from a 300£ grinder and a 1500£ one. I surely won't.

This is kind of why I think price is irrelevant. 

Just because it's a £100k car does it go from a to b same as a £500 yes.

Does it taste the same yes. Then that's what matters

I suppose my frustration is even from same brand grinders which don't really say or declare the difference in grind but more... other techy stuff 🤦‍♂️

It's probably my least favourite part of working out how to get a good espresso at home, is the grinder purchase side of things. 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, Tinkstar said:

I suppose my frustration is even from same brand grinders which don't really say or declare the difference in grind but more... other techy stuff 🤦‍♂️

It's probably my least favourite part of working out how to get a good espresso at home, is the grinder purchase side of things. 🤦‍♂️

Laser analysis for grind  costs a lot and means nothing to 99.9 percent of people .

Buy a gridner , log  off the forum , enjoy your future coffee :) 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 3
49 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

Quote your price range and there will usually be a 'common knowledge best for that price' grinder.

• Like 1
Just now, -Mac said:

Quote your price range, what you want it for (espresso/pour over, etc), and there will usually be a 'common knowledge best for that price' grinder.

@Tinkstar - if you fancy a bit of a geek out in terms of analysis on grind, have a look at this campaign on kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goat-mug/arco-2-in-1-coffee-grinder/posts

if you look in the updates section, during the campaign they did some analysis on grind distribution which i found quite interesting. i have to say i didnt really understand it all but i think i got the idea of what they were showing.

if you have a look - let me know what you think

@Tinkstar - if you fancy a bit of a geek out in terms of analysis on grind, have a look at this campaign on kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goat-mug/arco-2-in-1-coffee-grinder/posts
if you look in the updates section, during the campaign they did some analysis on grind distribution which i found quite interesting. i have to say i didnt really understand it all but i think i got the idea of what they were showing.
I will receive it May/June btw, I will put a review here.
  • Like 1

As a newbie I admit I probably couldn’t taste the difference between conical or flat burrs, I’m just in the process of refurbing a mazzer sj which will be my first ‘proper’ grinder. It was relatively cheap and they are a great starter grinder or so I’ve heard!

Just my 2 cents, start small and progress just like when you when you pass your driving test. You don’t jump straight into a Ferrari...... unless your really lucky haha

• Like 2
10 hours ago, profesor_historia said:
11 hours ago, jonr2 said:

I will receive it May/June btw, I will put a review here.

11 hours ago, jonr2 said:

For £250 ish it looks amazingly stylish and read a fair few of the comments and updates and it's as good as  A punt as another grinder it seems 🤷‍♂️ 

7 hours ago, Tinkstar said:

For £250 ish it looks amazingly stylish and read a fair few of the comments and updates and it's as good as  A punt as another grinder it seems 🤷‍♂️ 

I hope you have a better coffee related experience on Kickstarter than I have had . 
Be prepared for to have patience is the best advice I can give 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

I hope you have a better coffee related experience on Kickstarter than I have had . 
Be prepared for to have patience is the best advice I can give 

Do tell I don't mind a side story on threads, unless it's too painful 🙈