IGNORED

TEST tubes / bean cellars for single dose

So on someone's reccomendation I've bought test tube/centrifuge tubes for single dosing. What does everyone else use? Anyone else use the test tube method? 

Edited by StevenG91
  • StevenG91 changed the title to TEST tubes / bean cellars for single dose
3 minutes ago, Jollybean said:

I use these.  Base made from a worktop sample which was the perfect size 20210305_150136.thumb.jpg.445bbfefded0ec7cf98c26ea016d531b.jpg

@JollybeanThat the new ground coffee in the background, I struggled to dial that in. Where are your storage cellars from? 

4 minutes ago, Jollybean said:

I use these.  Base made from a worktop sample which was the perfect size 20210305_150136.thumb.jpg.445bbfefded0ec7cf98c26ea016d531b.jpg

They look great, Where did you source the tubes? 

Not the exact link I bought them from but these are similar.  Mine are by Jarvials and are 50ml.  They also do gold lids and 60ml if you need a slightly larger dose size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jarvials-Produced-Transparent-Bottles-Aluminum/dp/B07LGS2S8N/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=jarvials+50ml&qid=1614960442&sprefix=Jarvials&sr=8-5

Currently using the Craig Lyn Design ones which come in an aluminium holder. Managed to get them on offer at the time but the delivery and import stung me.

• Thanks 1
Not the exact link I bought them from but these are similar.  Mine are by Jarvials and are 50ml.  They also do gold lids and 60ml if you need a slightly larger dose size.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jarvials-Produced-Transparent-Bottles-Aluminum/dp/B07LGS2S8N/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=jarvials+50ml&qid=1614960442&sprefix=Jarvials&sr=8-5
Maybe a silly question, but are these properly airtight? Do the lids have any sought of seal inside or are you just relying on the threads?

They have a plastic lining which seems to seal quite well.  They are watertight if you do them up well so I guess this means they are pretty airtight.

20210305_213026.jpg

Edited by Jollybean
Typo
21 hours ago, Jollybean said:

They have a plastic lining which seems to seal quite well.  They are watertight if you do them up well so I guess this means they are pretty airtight.

20210305_213026.jpg

If you wanted to, you could save the valves from your coffee bean bags and when you have enough, drill a small hole in each of the caps and glue the saved valves onto the underside of each of the caps. Just an abstract thought after reading this thread - haven’t really thought this concept through, but it has the potential should it be a feasible, to allow the coffee beans to degas safely.

• Like 3
On 05/03/2021 at 14:38, Shorticus said:

I'm looking at these amber ointment jars with black lid:
https://ampulla.co.uk/shop/glass/glass-cosmetic-jars/60ml-amber-glass-ointment-jar-black-urea-cap/

Can anyone suggest what size I should buy to store 20g of beans?

I bought similar and they were stated as 2oz (~56ml) and they were fine for medium roast 18g, enough headroom for an extra 2g

• Like 1