IGNORED

Looking for alternative to Wilfa Uniform that is in stock

I had a pre-order with Jurang for a Wilfa Uniform (not the plus). They were supposed to be getting stock in this week but they got in touch today to say that Wilfa are having issues and they probably won't get any stock in until May. They have refunded me.

I'm looking for an alternative that's in stock somewhere in the UK. Price between £200-300. Right now I only have a Hario Skerton Plus hand grinder with the BlueHorseProducts upgrade kit.

I liked the idea of the Uniform because I mostly drink V60 at home but I do have an old Gaggia Cubika machine. From what I understand the Uniform is great for pour over and passable for espresso. Do you think that's a bit nieve? I'll probably upgrade the Cubika to something like the Gaggia classic over the next year. Would the Uniform be unsuitable for a proper espresso machine?

What are the opinions here on the Fellow Ode? I got the impression that it was overhyped and I know that it won't do espresso. James Hoffman suggests that it may not even grind fine enough for lighter roasts for V60! I could be open to getting a filter-specific grinder and then getting another grinder for espresso down the line.

Edited by Alasdair
typo

Nice one, I haven't seen that site before. I was looking at the list of approved Wilfa stockists. It's quite a bit more expensive that Jurang but might be worth it since supply is so scarce at the moment!

hey - i bought a wilfa uniform + a couple of months ago. At the time i drank more filter than espresso and i thought it would be a decent priced multi-purpose grinder.

I really like the way it works, i like the auto switch off as you can go and do something else (get hot water, filter paper etc) whilst it is grinding and it is super easy to adjust.

However i have started drinking more espresso and whilst the single dosing experience is good and there is very little retained grounds, the settings appear to be too far apart and are stepped so it is quite hard to dial in espresso. If you plan to use it a few times a week for espresso and switch back to brewed i think it will be fine. if you plan to drink espresso each day i think you may find the stepped nature a bit frustrating (i do) and so personally i am planning to get another more espresso focused grinder.

6 hours ago, RobDGio said:

https://www.goldboxroastery.com/uk/shop/wilfa-grinder

bought mine from here (price is minus VAT) and they look to be in stock at present 

PS - love the coffee from here

I did a little messing around with the requests to their store and it looked like thay did indeed have two in stock. I've ordered one so now so hopefully I can get my hands on it soon!

1 hour ago, jonr2 said:

hey - i bought a wilfa uniform + a couple of months ago. At the time i drank more filter than espresso and i thought it would be a decent priced multi-purpose grinder.

I really like the way it works, i like the auto switch off as you can go and do something else (get hot water, filter paper etc) whilst it is grinding and it is super easy to adjust.

However i have started drinking more espresso and whilst the single dosing experience is good and there is very little retained grounds, the settings appear to be too far apart and are stepped so it is quite hard to dial in espresso. If you plan to use it a few times a week for espresso and switch back to brewed i think it will be fine. if you plan to drink espresso each day i think you may find the stepped nature a bit frustrating (i do) and so personally i am planning to get another more espresso focused grinder.

Nice one, it sounds like my expectations are in line with your experience. I don't have a real espresso machine so in the future if I get myself a proper machine then I'll get an espresso-specific grinder.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this as my order fell through with Gold Box Roastery. Any other suggestions?

As an aside, I had a pretty bad experience with Gold Box Roastery. The grinder appeared to be in stock on their site. I attempted to call them, message them on facebook and email them to check the stock before placing an order but I was unable to speak to anyone. I went ahead and purchased the grinder - I got an automated email saying that my order had been placed but then didn't hear anything else. After calling multiple numbers and speaking to one guy who seemed to be involved in the business on the phone 3 times over the course of the following week, I finally got an email from the MD of the company assuring me that they would be in stock within a week. I got an email tonight informing me that Wilfa had sent them Svart grinders rather than Uniform grinders. 

I wonder what's going on over at Wilfa..

I was in a very similar situation to you as far as my budget and grinder choices! I was set on the Wilfa Uniform, but gave up on getting it due to the stock shortage/lead times. 

Despite the reviews, I went for the Fellow Ode in the end. I’ve been really enjoying it, and it grinds fine enough for my needs (I do end up almost maxed out for a 15:250 V60 brew sometimes, but I’ve never run out of adjustment). They have updated the burrs as of January 2021, so if you get a newer unit, it will grind a little bit finer(100microns) than original models (still nowhere near espresso though)!

One of the appeals of the Ode was the ability to upgrade/change the burrs. I briefly tried a set of Mazzer Super Jolly espresso burrs in my Ode, and it provided a much broader range of grind adjustment, and definitely went fine enough for espresso. It managed v60/kalita grind size no problem, but I found the coffees to be notably muddier/muddled compared to the clarity I was getting from the stock burrs. Not hugely surprising considering they’re espresso-focused burrs. They only cost £27 so it helped scratch an itch! I’m happy using the stock burrs for now, but I’ve heard a few people have good success upgrading to SSP’s multipurpose/uni-modal burrs. Also Fellow suggest they’re working on a new V2 burr set.

Another close contender was the Baratza Virtuoso Plus. It seems to be a much loved grinder for filter brewing, and can just about manage occasional espresso brewing. I just found it pretty ugly and wasn’t very excited about it. 

So if it’s just the bad press that’s putting you off the Ode, then I’d try to not let that put you off that much. 

Hope that helps. Let me know what you end up going for!