IGNORED

Hasbean without Steve

Mrboots2u

When I first joined , Hasbean was one of the go to roasters. Their ,in my mug clips, fronted by Steve Leighton ( owner) was one a great subscription with a great diversity of coffee.  The sheer range of coffee offered over the sub was mind boggling. I had that sub for about 18 months. 

Steve did a lot to push great quality coffee into the home with his videos and brew guides .  He had a couple of open days at the roasters which were  great . 

Hasbean and Ozone joined forces a while ago ( although remained separate companies ) with Steve still on board. 

With the announcement below though Steve is now no Longer part of Hasbean going forward, I’m sure at some point Steve will pop his head up over the rails again , i think he is till invested in 3fe, and Drop for one. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mrboots2u changed the title to Hasbean without Steve

Wow that's quite an announcement. Back in the day you couldn't move for red bags and combinations of letters like IMM, SSS, or even SSSSS... as you say though, I'm sure he'll pop up sometime soon with something else. He has coffee for blood, I doubt he'll be retiring from the industry.

When I joined the forum, In My Mug was an integral part of it. Steve also, in those early days, contributed to the forum as a member. Buried in the older Hasbean website, Steve told his story how he got into coffee. It's a fascinating tale - I've tried to find it but can't. It's well worth a read. In the early internet days, he started roasting in his garage and selling, or trying to, sell his beans on an open market in Stafford on Saturdays. He was fully employed, at that time, in another job. He recounted his dejection that he didn't get many takers. One Saturday, an old lady who had bought a packet of roasted beans came back to return them, telling Steve she had tried making coffee with them but they didn't dissolve. Steve said he nearly gave up. Fortunately, the internet proved his salvation. He continued to build the business whilst keeping on his day job until, finally, he took the plunge devoting all his time to Hasbean. Like Boots, I was fortunate to attend an open day at Hasbean which was really good fun. Steve's knowledge and enthusiasm was evident in spades. I was also really impressed at his prowess as a taster during a cupping session. 

Steve is irrepressible - I am sure he will pop up somewhere in the near future. He has made a huge contribution to speciality coffee and we caffeine addicts should thank him for it. 

• Like 6

2099893675_Screenshot2021-08-18at10_18_29.png.64d72435dfb5ecf4fe98b7a7a3408e52.png

I was at the 10th Anniversary bash that he threw a few years ago - it was good fun! 

I recall thinking a while ago that when O Zone took a share of Hasbean it was unlikely to mean that Steve would stay on forever. Hopefully he's moved on on his own terms, and adequately remunerated for it. I suppose there's a good chance he still owns shares.

Yes, I can't see this being the end of him in coffee either. And I'm sure he'll always be welcome. 

The Black Country Coffee Roastery
www.coffeebythecasuals.com - Discount Code: CFUK21
Instagram: @casuals_coffee

1 hour ago, The Systemic Kid said:

- I've tried to find it but can't. It's well worth a read.

i remember reading this too, i think it might be buried away in the earlier pages of his blog: http://www.hasblog.co.uk

it’s a bit sad to hear, i’ve had the IMM subscription going for years. recently i’ve wondered if the quality has been dropping a bit, to the point i ditched renewing the secret stash one this year. who knows, if it may be related to this news...

25 minutes ago, shaun**** said:

i remember reading this too, i think it might be buried away in the earlier pages of his blog: http://www.hasblog.co.uk

Trawled through the blog right back to the beginning - 2008. Frustratingly, there's a referenced link in a blog but when you click on it, it's dead. Shame.

2099893675_Screenshot2021-08-18at10_18_29.png.64d72435dfb5ecf4fe98b7a7a3408e52.png

1 hour ago, The Systemic Kid said:

When I joined the forum, In My Mug was an integral part of it. Steve also, in those early days, contributed to the forum as a member. Buried in the older Hasbean website, Steve told his story how he got into coffee. It's a fascinating tale - I've tried to find it but can't. It's well worth a read. In the early internet days, he started roasting in his garage and selling, or trying to, sell his beans on an open market in Stafford on Saturdays. He was fully employed, at that time, in another job. He recounted his dejection that he didn't get many takers. One Saturday, an old lady who had bought a packet of roasted beans came back to return them, telling Steve she had tried making coffee with them but they didn't dissolve. Steve said he nearly gave up. Fortunately, the internet proved his salvation. He continued to build the business whilst keeping on his day job until, finally, he took the plunge devoting all his time to Hasbean. Like Boots, I was fortunate to attend an open day at Hasbean which was really good fun. Steve's knowledge and enthusiasm was evident in spades. I was also really impressed at his prowess as a taster during a cupping session. 

Steve is irrepressible - I am sure he will pop up somewhere in the near future. He has made a huge contribution to speciality coffee and we caffeine addicts should thank him for it. 

I recall reading that too. I read it when considering taking my roasting from hobby to career and it really did give me a shove to commit!

There is no way Steve wont be involved in the market in some way, it'll be interesting to wait and see.

He will probably have a non compete for a while though so we might have wait to find out.

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Alex Duetto and Alex Leva now in stock!

2 minutes ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

I recall reading that too. I read it when considering taking my roasting from hobby to career and it really did give me a shove to commit!

There is no way Steve wont be involved in the market in some way, it'll be interesting to wait and see.

He will probably have a non compete for a while though so we might have wait to find out.

I would guess he might go to the scaa in some capacity 

1 hour ago, Mrboots2u said:

I would guess he might go to the scaa in some capacity 

I think he railed against them in a different blogpost not too long ago. That's not conclusive, of course, but I don't think he's its biggest fan.

38 minutes ago, Chris_on_caffeine said:

Sorry I'm not up to speed at all here, ... did he previously sell the company? Who does he hand his notice into?

When you’re an owner of the company, you’re not automatically employed by them. Directors make employment decisions, and so if a part-owner no longer wants to be employed then he resigns to the directors.

I see he is currently registered as a director still. That’s also possible. You can be a director for regulatory purposes and have a separate contract with the company for the actual day-to-day work.

Will be interesting to see if Hasbean can maintain their supplier relationships without him? Judging from the website you get the impression most of their coffee is sourced by Steve in person at the farms and direct relationships are a foundation of their business model. 

Hope there’s more of that Ana Sora in the pipeline this year 🤞

On 24/02/2021 at 12:15, The Systemic Kid said:

Trawled through the blog right back to the beginning - 2008. Frustratingly, there's a referenced link in a blog but when you click on it, it's dead. Shame.

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/blogs/articles/6488493-how-has-bean-began

That's an entry with the story you recount in it, is there more?

• Like 1

Sage Barista Express, Mazzer Royal w/ DW Kit.

12 hours ago, Stu Beck said:

Will be interesting to see if Hasbean can maintain their supplier relationships without him? Judging from the website you get the impression most of their coffee is sourced by Steve in person at the farms and direct relationships are a foundation of their business model. 

Hope there’s more of that Ana Sora in the pipeline this year 🤞

I think this is the key risk to Hasbean. There’s a question of what he can do with the info, skill and connections that he’s obtained whilst running the company. He won’t necessarily be able to take that away and start using it elsewhere straightaway. I think that will be where his other coffee business interests will help him out - he’ll have set a precedent of using that knowledge elsewhere already and it might help him out of an otherwise sticky legal situation.

Or I might be talking nonsense. Employment law is not my strength.

• Like 1

I only log in here about once a week.

This is proper coffee news. I am not sure how Hasbean can be the same without Steve.

It may well be something good and sustainable, but he was the heart and soul and centre of what he built there.

I hope whatever the future holds treats him and those still at Hasbean well. 

• Like 3