IGNORED

PID my Classic or Upgrade?

Hi guys, possibly looking for a bit of an upgrade and want to see what's best for my money. 

Love my Gaggia Classic 2005 and having a great experience but the only issue is temperature stability. So I'm thinking of putting in a PID to have a bit more control. Would I be better doing so or saving up and moving onto a second hand HX machine? 

Currently only have a few milky drinks a week so steaming isn't my main concern. Its more longevity of the machine and having more temperature control. If anyone has upgraded from a Classic with PID to a HX machine could you let me know your experience/thoughts? Is the extra ~£200 worth it for the nice to haves of a HX? 

Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, RossD said:

Love my Gaggia Classic 2005 and having a great experience but the only issue is temperature stability. So I'm thinking of putting in a PID to have a bit more control. Would I be better doing so or saving up and moving onto a second hand HX machine? 

Currently only have a few milky drinks a week so steaming isn't my main concern. Its more longevity of the machine and having more temperature control. If anyone has upgraded from a Classic with PID to a HX machine could you let me know your experience/thoughts? Is the extra ~£200 worth it for the nice to haves of a HX? 

What HX machine would you get for £200 more?

I was in a similar position with a Slivia, and couldn't decide if to PID or go HX. However, my Silvia was only a few months old + for the Silvia I couldn't find a reasonably-priced and reliable PID in the UK (so looked at Auber, which would have been over £160/190 [brew only/brew and steam] with shipping from the US and VAT). I therefore sold the Silvia and got an HX. I am happy with the new machine, but I don't know how the Silvia would have performed with a PID.

Now for the Classic you can get a @MrShadesPID for £96, with both brew and steam control, which is half the cost of the equivalent Auber in the UK. If you are otherwise happy with the machine, I would say PID it to see what it is like. If you later decide to upgrade, your machine will be more attractive and probably recover most of the cost of the PID, so not too much to loose (personally I would probably also enjoy fitting the PID).

21 minutes ago, RossD said:

Hi guys, possibly looking for a bit of an upgrade and want to see what's best for my money. 

Thanks! 

My PID was for brew and steam and I got 89°- 96° on brew when set to 93° but for me it really improved the steam and improved my workflow

If it costs £100 then I’d do it for myself as it may not add £100 value to a machine worth £250

I really enjoyed what it gave to me though

Neil

I've just seen a few in that's £500 ish range with the E61 group which look great but not sure it worth it. 

I agree, looking at how in demand the classics are right now the PID probably wouldn't loose too much if I did sell. And I do enjoy cracking into the machine to have a tinker. Cheers

54 minutes ago, Doram said:

What HX machine would you get for £200 more?

I was in a similar position with a Slivia, and couldn't decide if to PID or go HX. However, my Silvia was only a few months old + for the Silvia I couldn't find a reasonably-priced and reliable PID in the UK (so looked at Auber, which would have been over £160/190 [brew only/brew and steam] with shipping from the US and VAT). I therefore sold the Silvia and got an HX. I am happy with the new machine, but I don't know how the Silvia would have performed with a PID.

Now for the Classic you can get a @MrShadesPID for £96, with both brew and steam control, which is half the cost of the equivalent Auber in the UK. If you are otherwise happy with the machine, I would say PID it to see what it is like. If you later decide to upgrade, your machine will be more attractive and probably recover most of the cost of the PID, so not too much to loose (personally I would probably also enjoy fitting the PID).

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Uncletits said:

My PID was for brew and steam and I got 89°- 96° on brew when set to 93° but for me it really improved the steam and improved my workflow

If it costs £100 then I’d do it for myself as it may not add £100 value to a machine worth £250

I really enjoyed what it gave to me though

Neil

Yeah even if it's not perfect it's something to have a play about with and enjoy. It's just that investment if I would just be wanting to upgrade shortly after anyways. 

1 hour ago, RossD said:

Thanks! 

I upgraded from GCP with PID to a Lelit Elizabeth. This was because I generally pull back to back shots and stream milk in between.  Assuming you are primarily making espresso and americano alone a SBDU machine isn’t too bad a shout unless you want to pull shots in quick succession.

It sounds like at the very least you want a PID for the temp stability. The next question is whether it is worth spending the money to gain control of such a small boiler, it takes a few minutes between shots for this to occur in the GCP due to boiler size (at least in my experience). Another future proofing consideration is whether you’d be interested in programming preinfusion, pressure profile or flow control, but that is a whole new world of functionality to unpack.

• Like 1

PMA all day!

It’s worth mentioning that a GC will never have incredible temperature stability as there isn’t an awful lot of thermal mass in its design.

However, for the ~£120 and a bit of tinkering it’ll cost you, you’d likely get that back in a few minutes this time should you choose.

• Like 1