IGNORED

Mignon Specialita Dose Timing - Should I be worried?

Hi all,

Last week I bought a Eureka Mignon Specialita and so far I'm getting what I assume to be decent results out of it i.e. 16g in 30g out in 25-30seconds, albeit with a Delonghi Dedica and unpressurised basket.

The one thing that is concerning me is it's taking around 17 seconds to get 16g of coffee out and most videos/posts I've watched/read discussing the Specialita suggest that sort of dose should take less than 10 seconds. So my question is should I be worried about that? Has anyone else got a similar experience?

I understand that there will be variations in time depending on beans and grind size but given it's not fine enough to choke my Dedica, it does seem like it's taking a bit too long on a brand new machine. I have tried cleaning the burrs with the top burr off and also poked some coffee that was gathering out of the chute but not really sure what else to do. Would taking the bottom burr off and cleaning make a difference? I did try to take them off but just ended up stripping one of the screws, but I wouldn't have thought I'd need to do that after only half a day of use?

Any suggestions welcome, or perhaps I'm just worrying over nothing since results seem alright?

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

Sounds slow. Theres been a dodgy batch about 

@HVL87 had 2

Yep, I had the same issue with 18g taking 18-19 secs to grind. I am by no means an expert but I spoke to Eureka directly about it. They said it doesn’t sound normal and their could be a problem with the burrs. 

It’s possible it was causing an inconsistent grind and I wasn’t willing to keep a grinder which might not be performing as it should. I returned mine for a refund. 

Will watch this thread with interest as mine is taking around 20s for 18g of medium roast beans at espresso grind size.  Not sure if that's norm or whether it's because I'm single dosing and leaving it running longer to wait for everything to clear.  Not tried will a full hopper though.

Cheers for the responses everyone, I've messaged Clumsy Goat to see what their return policy is. Doesn't sound a great idea to keep hold of it then given I'm hoping it'll last a good while.

@HVL87 Did you give up with it after 2 faulty machines? If so what did you go for instead? 

6 minutes ago, Alpesh said:

Will watch this thread with interest as mine is taking around 20s for 18g of medium roast beans at espresso grind size.  Not sure if that's norm or whether it's because I'm single dosing and leaving it running longer to wait for everything to clear.  Not tried will a full hopper though.

I've been using a full hopper until it runs out and there hasn't been much difference in time from full load to empty. I wonder if this is the new normal for these machines? Although that seems to be ruled out given Eureka's direct comments. I've also emailed them to see what they say so will report back.

Might try some different beans at the weekend just to rule that out.

51 minutes ago, Alpesh said:

Single dosing or a light load in the hopper will slow the grind speed down significantly.

2 hours ago, Gibualni said:

Cheers for the responses everyone, I've messaged Clumsy Goat to see what their return policy is. Doesn't sound a great idea to keep hold of it then given I'm hoping it'll last a good while.

@HVL87 Did you give up with it after 2 faulty machines? If so what did you go for instead? 

I did give up and unfortunately I’m without a grinder at the moment. I intend to pre-order a Niche for April delivery, once it becomes available, hopefully soon. 

There is also talk of a new 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder which should be stocked by Bella Barista for £399. 

19 hours ago, Gibualni said:

Hi all,

Last week I bought a Eureka Mignon Specialita and so far I'm getting what I assume to be decent results out of it i.e. 16g in 30g out in 25-30seconds, albeit with a Delonghi Dedica and unpressurised basket.

The one thing that is concerning me is it's taking around 17 seconds to get 16g of coffee out and most videos/posts I've watched/read discussing the Specialita suggest that sort of dose should take less than 10 seconds. So my question is should I be worried about that? Has anyone else got a similar experience?

I understand that there will be variations in time depending on beans and grind size but given it's not fine enough to choke my Dedica, it does seem like it's taking a bit too long on a brand new machine. I have tried cleaning the burrs with the top burr off and also poked some coffee that was gathering out of the chute but not really sure what else to do. Would taking the bottom burr off and cleaning make a difference? I did try to take them off but just ended up stripping one of the screws, but I wouldn't have thought I'd need to do that after only half a day of use?

Any suggestions welcome, or perhaps I'm just worrying over nothing since results seem alright?

Thanks

18.6g in 11.9s for me: My Specialita is a week old (bought from Machina in Edinburgh) and apart from the usual dialling in issues, seems fine. Yours does sound faulty.

Edited by TimTamps
15 hours ago, HVL87 said:

I did give up and unfortunately I’m without a grinder at the moment. I intend to pre-order a Niche for April delivery, once it becomes available, hopefully soon. 

There is also talk of a new 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder which should be stocked by Bella Barista for £399. 

That is a pickle! I was wanting to hold out for the Niche as well but having no grinder to use until then was what swayed me towards the Specialita. I wonder if this is a sign to wait for the Niche, or pehaps this new one!

14 minutes ago, TimTamps said:

18.6g in 11.9s for me: My Specialita is a week old (bought from Machina in Edinburgh) and apart from the usual dialling in issues, seems fine. Yours does sound faulty.

I actually didn't realise Machina had an online shop until a couple of days ago. I really wish I'd have waited as I'd prefer to buy from someone local to me! 

12 minutes ago, Gibualni said:

That is a pickle! I was wanting to hold out for the Niche as well but having no grinder to use until then was what swayed me towards the Specialita. I wonder if this is a sign to wait for the Niche, or pehaps this new one!

Well that was my thought process exactly!  Difficult one..some buy the Specialita and pre-order the Niche. Then sell the Specialita when the Niche arrives. 

• Like 1
On 23/02/2021 at 13:42, HVL87 said:

Well that was my thought process exactly!  Difficult one..some buy the Specialita and pre-order the Niche. Then sell the Specialita when the Niche arrives. 

On another note I've been starting to think about my next machine upgrade and I think I've narrowed it down to Lelit Mara X or ACS Minima. Whilst searching through the forum comparing the two I noticed you were heavily involved in a thread choosing between them. Did you ever upgrade, and if so was it for one of those two or something else?

By the sounds of it I have similar requirements/concerns. I've ruled out the Elizabeth on looks and would absolutely love a Bianca but I think that's probably too far out of my price range unfortunately! I see the MaraX and ACS Minima are both on pre-order/restocking for March too so it's very tempting!

On 22/02/2021 at 20:07, Alpesh said:

Did you ever try filling the hopper to see if it still took a while still? 

I've had a message back from Clumsy Goat and they've asked me to send it back to them so they can send back to the supplier under warranty to repair/replace it so it does sound like it's a known issue for them. Might be worth checking!

33 minutes ago, Gibualni said:

On another note I've been starting to think about my next machine upgrade and I think I've narrowed it down to Lelit Mara X or ACS Minima. Whilst searching through the forum comparing the two I noticed you were heavily involved in a thread choosing between them. Did you ever upgrade, and if so was it for one of those two or something else?

By the sounds of it I have similar requirements/concerns. I've ruled out the Elizabeth on looks and would absolutely love a Bianca but I think that's probably too far out of my price range unfortunately! I see the MaraX and ACS Minima are both on pre-order/restocking for March too so it's very tempting!

I did upgrade to the Minima (in black) but have only used it for a short while due to returning the Specialita and now waiting for a Niche (hopefully).

Even though many people do, and it makes sense from a cost perspective, I wouldn’t compare the MaraX and Minima. The MaraX is an HX machine which allows you to maintain a stable brew temp (to an extent) without requiring a cooling flush. Steam power is OK and maybe not ideal for back to back milk drinks. 

The Minima is a dual boiler which is great for temperature stability and control. It has a huge 2.3l steam boiler so lots of steam power on tap. Excellent microfoam and good for back to back milk drinks.

Certain parts of the Minima may not be as polished as a more expensive machine e.g. drip tray. Also the pump is quite noisy which may/may not irritate. MaraX pump is quieter. 

Check out Dave Corby’s reviews if you haven’t already:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2020/03/10/lelit-marax-review-in-progress/amp/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/03/06/acs-minima-final-production-machine/amp/

Also @Cuprajake recently purchased the Minima and has made a few videos highlighting some niggles and provided an overview:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCnTCCdwteG5b0NZV1kg_2wg

• Like 1

hi, 

ive done a few vids, im 99% happy with the minima, im not a vibe pump noise fan but at the end of the day its a very good dual boiler machine for basically hx money, its a no brainer,

if i had bags of cash id of stepped up to say a bianca (£1800) and further past that maybe a vesuvius or the new vostock but were talking £2500 there

• Like 1

Way too early for this sh...

Cheers guys, very helpful insights! 
Yeah I've been looking through a lot of reviews (especially the Dave Corby ones!) and also old forum posts to get a better understanding of each one. I'd seen your video on the honest walk through as well @Cuprajake so thanks for that!

The principle issues I had with the Minima basically come from your videos!

The main issue I had with the MaraX was indeed milk based drinks. I'll usually make myself a flat white and my wife a latte so it sounds like it has enough steam power to handle that, but once social limits are lifted it would be nice to have the ability to make 4 milk based drinks back to back, which sounds like it'll be a struggle. I'd also be keen to try my hand at latte art so it sounds like it might be trickier on the MaraX. 

As mentioned above I'd be coming from a pimped up Dedica so both would be a major improvement! Definitely think you've both swayed me towards the Minima now though. Or maybe I keep my Specialita and not trade up for the Niche Zero, roll with my Dedica for another 6 months and try to save up the extra for a Bianca! 😀

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Gibualni said:

Cheers guys, very helpful insights! 
Yeah I've been looking through a lot of reviews (especially the Dave Corby ones!) and also old forum posts to get a better understanding of each one. I'd seen your video on the honest walk through as well @Cuprajake so thanks for that!

The principle issues I had with the Minima basically come from your videos!

The main issue I had with the MaraX was indeed milk based drinks. I'll usually make myself a flat white and my wife a latte so it sounds like it has enough steam power to handle that, but once social limits are lifted it would be nice to have the ability to make 4 milk based drinks back to back, which sounds like it'll be a struggle. I'd also be keen to try my hand at latte art so it sounds like it might be trickier on the MaraX. 

As mentioned above I'd be coming from a pimped up Dedica so both would be a major improvement! Definitely think you've both swayed me towards the Minima now though. Or maybe I keep my Specialita and not trade up for the Niche Zero, roll with my Dedica for another 6 months and try to save up the extra for a Bianca! 😀

If you don’t go the Minima route, you could still buy the Niche and save up for the the Bianca. Apparently a machine like the Bianca would require a better grinder (like the Niche), especially with the flow paddle, if I’m not mistaken. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Gibualni said:

Did you ever try filling the hopper to see if it still took a while still? 

I've had a message back from Clumsy Goat and they've asked me to send it back to them so they can send back to the supplier under warranty to repair/replace it so it does sound like it's a known issue for them. Might be worth checking!

Not as yet - will try over the weekend but I’ve been using a weight with my single dose setup this week and grind times are reduced.

Well I managed to send my Specialita back which was fantastic timing given the Niche pre-order went live earlier. Managed to bag myself a black one so I'm really hoping they'll offer refund for the Specialita rather than repair! 

Decided I'm going to try to keep going with the Dedica for now to learn the art of coffee making a bit more and save up for a Bianca. Now that I've got a Niche on order my thought is to try to push the boat out so I don't have to upgrade again for a long time. 

Besides the shots I'm making on it are still way better than the Nespresso and can't even have guests at the moment so only making max 2 coffees at a time, so no major rush! 

On 25/02/2021 at 18:54, Alpesh said:

Not as yet - will try over the weekend but I’ve been using a weight with my single dose setup this week and grind times are reduced.

Tried with the hopper today and I am getting 18g in around 15s at the fine end of espresso range.  Not quite the 2g per second but it's close.

Edited by Alpesh