IGNORED

How good are these machines?

Not a very common machine, I've seen a few positive mentions about them, but what do people think about them on here? Perhaps I'll get biased views on this forum, but they interest me & wonder about getting one  perhaps something used as I like tinkling!

Also are parts easy to get hold of? 

Thanks 

Machines? Which machines?

EDIT: I did not notice that you wrote in the Alex Duetto Forum. Apologies

Edited by John Yossarian

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

26 minutes ago, ferncottage said:

Izzi Alex Duetto machines in general 

I have heard only good things about them although I do not own one. Best option for you would be to read the forum and also look for reviews over the internet. If I am not mistaken they were pioneers in the dual boiler configuration that says a lot.

You can find parts easily and they are not too pricey either.

Good luck to you finding your dream machine.

• Thanks 1

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

Thanks John, I think I read that Bella Barista used to sell them. That's interesting about being the pioneers in dual boiler machines. Not many come up used & not that many reviews & I'm always a bit cautious reading reports written on machines. 

We are the UK retailer so I cannot claim to be impartial but I can tell you that they are excellent machines. They are extremely well built and unlike some manufacturers Izzo are smart and are always evolving and refining their machines. The current Duetto may look similar to the very first ones in some ways but they internals have changed a lot!

If you look after one well you can expect it to last almost indefinitely. The only real negative is due to their dual wall case they are quite a large machine.

David

• Thanks 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Vivi, Alex and Alex Duetto in stock now!

1 hour ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

We are the UK retailer so I cannot claim to be impartial but I can tell you that they are excellent machines. They are extremely well built and unlike some manufacturers Izzo are smart and are always evolving and refining their machines. The current Duetto may look similar to the very first ones in some ways but they internals have changed a lot!

If you look after one well you can expect it to last almost indefinitely. The only real negative is due to their dual wall case they are quite a large machine.

David

Thanks David, it's good to know there is support/parts available. Do certain models come to the end of available parts or are the parts multi-changeable between machines, ie could you put a large boiler in if it physically fitted OK for instance? 

Do you have one in your own kitchen at home?! 

Cheers, Peter 👍 

4 hours ago, ferncottage said:

Thanks David, it's good to know there is support/parts available. Do certain models come to the end of available parts or are the parts multi-changeable between machines, ie could you put a large boiler in if it physically fitted OK for instance? 

Cheers, Peter 👍 

I have number 0001 of the Duetto, first production one ever made (must be 13 years old now. It's a good machine, uses parts that are readily available. Izzo always had good wiring and used copper pipes, so one day boilers might be a problem, but the many modern boilers often use high quality PTFE connections, so you can pretty much find something that would work, even if its 15 years hence. Nice machines and the early ones are the best 😉 but I'm a bit biased

I still have it, it went into storage about 10 years ago...still looks almost new as it wasn't used much at all. However, it's in my collection and quite special to me.

• Thanks 1

Nothing here...

10 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I have number 0001 of the Duetto, first production one ever made (must be 13 years old now. It's a good machine, uses parts that are readily available. Izzo always had good wiring and used copper pipes, so one day boilers might be a problem, but the many modern boilers often use high quality PTFE connections, so you can pretty much find something that would work, even if its 15 years hence. Nice machines and the early ones are the best 😉 but I'm a bit biased

I still have it, it went into storage about 10 years ago...still looks almost new as it wasn't used much at all. However, it's in my collection and quite special to me.

Thanks for that Dave 👍👍 Crikey, no. 1, you'd have thought they might have held onto that themselves! I'm only just getting into 'real coffee machines', I've had a Jura bean to cup I bought some years ago & I want to go to the next step or two! The Jura uses a brewing unit that many others use & I guess it's the same with these types of machines, only a few companies with make small boilers, groups, pumps, etc. Cheers 

9 minutes ago, ferncottage said:

Thanks for that Dave 👍👍 Crikey, no. 1, you'd have thought they might have held onto that themselves! I'm only just getting into 'real coffee machines', I've had a Jura bean to cup I bought some years ago & I want to go to the next step or two! The Jura uses a brewing unit that many others use & I guess it's the same with these types of machines, only a few companies with make small boilers, groups, pumps, etc. Cheers 

No, they gave me 0001 because I designed it for them, told them what to make, how large the boilers should be etc... It's why I will never sell it. Even designed the numbering system for me...it was never going to start at 1 as that was not their numbering codes. They may have reverted the numbering system now...but at the time I wanted 0001

I keep meaning to bring it in and fire it up....for old times sake.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Nothing here...

29 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

@DavecUK Hi Dave, is it true that Izzo were one of the first to bring dual boiler concept to the Market whence Duetto?

After seeing you reply the question should be: Is it true that you introduced the dual boiler concept? 😀

Edited by John Yossarian
Need to add information

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

No, they gave me 0001 because I designed it for them, told them what to make, how large the boilers should be etc... It's why I will never sell it. Even designed the numbering system for me...it was never going to start at 1 as that was not their numbering codes. They may have reverted the numbering system now...but at the time I wanted 0001

I keep meaning to bring it in and fire it up....for old times sake.

Wow, that's impressive. Yep I think she definitely needs firing up Dave 😅  So, what's in your kitchen now if you don't mind me asking? (espresso machine, that is!) 

Just now, John Yossarian said:

@DavecUK Hi Dave, is it true that Izzo were one of the first to bring dual boiler concept to the Market whence Duetto?

Almost, there was a discussion in a restaurant in Birmingham between the owner of Bella Barista, me and the sales manager in early June 2006. I wanted a dual boiler machine that fitted into the Alex case and was mains plumbable or tank with a Rotary pump and proper PID with SSR and E61 group. There were 2 machines had just come on the market. The Brewtus and the La Spaziale Vivaldi. neither used PIDs, and the Brewtus was a vibe pump the Vivaldi was mains plumb and only and rotary pump, no e61 group. Boiler sizes in both machines were suboptimal for their function.

However there was nothing like the DB machines expect today..800ml brew boiler, 1.5 litre min steam boiler, PIDs, SSRs, tank or plumbed and Rotary pump. The Duetto was the first with all that....I didn't copy from the other manufacturers machines, I looked at their weaknesses and tried to design something that was better and worked right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nothing here...

6 minutes ago, ferncottage said:

Wow, that's impressive. Yep I think she definitely needs firing up Dave 😅  So, what's in your kitchen now if you don't mind me asking? (espresso machine, that is!) 

Frankenstien twin boiler LSM lever and a Lelit MaraX (in active service).

• Thanks 1

Nothing here...

5 hours ago, ferncottage said:

Cheers, Peter 👍 

As others have said, parts are no issue really. Pretty much all industry standard bits. Metal work could be an issue but I am sure if looked after this would unlikely be an issue until a long time in the future.

I do not have an espresso machine in my kitchen to be honest! I drink filter coffee in the mornings obviously when in the roastarie I have machines so I can scratch any espresso itch there!

If you are thinking of going for one, we are OOS currently but I believe there is one other company stocking them on and off. A word of advice though, get it sent via the pallet network and not by courier.

• Thanks 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Vivi, Alex and Alex Duetto in stock now!

41 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Frankenstien twin boiler LSM lever and a Lelit MaraX (in active service).

That's interesting you have the Lelit MaraX, do you think that their HX design is better than having a DB machine, or is it a good compromise for having a small footprint machine? 

3 minutes ago, ferncottage said:

That's interesting you have the Lelit MaraX, do you think that their HX design is better than having a DB machine, or is it a good compromise for having a small footprint machine? 

Compromise, taking the HX development about as far as it can go, before the dual boiler.

• Thanks 1

Nothing here...

1 hour ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

As others have said, parts are no issue really. Pretty much all industry standard bits. Metal work could be an issue but I am sure if looked after this would unlikely be an issue until a long time in the future.

I do not have an espresso machine in my kitchen to be honest! I drink filter coffee in the mornings obviously when in the roastarie I have machines so I can scratch any espresso itch there!

If you are thinking of going for one, we are OOS currently but I believe there is one other company stocking them on and off. A word of advice though, get it sent via the pallet network and not by courier.

Thanks for your advice & honesty👍 Although we could afford a new machine, I quite like someone else putting the first scratches on something! It's a big step up from a bean to cup machine, I'd rather not shell out too much at the moment in case we don't take to it.