New G-Iota DF64 / Solo (?) 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't unsee a carbon-fibre duck carrying a glass wearing a top hat    

So I shared some feedback with Bella Barista regarding the carbon fibre wrap - I asked whether it was possible to include other colours in the first batch.  They have since been in touch and appa

Yeah...it's not what I found... I found things very comparable to the Niche on dose consistency, retention and exchange. Perhaps slightly higher on total retention, but similar on exchange. For t

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Oh...going to disappoint you now....it's plastic

adam savage mythbusters GIF

Ah no i meant glass (noun), as in "glass of water". Yes I know that "cup" would've been the better word for it. 

But yes all the more reason to change that thing! 

4 minutes ago, MWJB said:

Probably all of them in the EU/US and other markets. Things are frequently priced according to market, even within the UK.

I remember going drinking with a couple of pals from Leeds Yorks.,  in Kent in the 90's. They ordered 2 bottles of Holsten Pils in a pint glass each & our eyes widened. Must be made of money we thought. They explained they drink it all the time at home, landlord charged them £5 each...then their eyes widened! 🙂

Yup, price sometimes bears no relation to cost! Seems like they didn't anticipate some clever sleuths tracking them down for a direct sale and now have repriced accordingly.

PMA all day!

Get the DF64/G-Iota in black, replace the cup for a metal one and it will be already 95% of looking like a slightly lesser attractive cousin of the Lagom.. 

Probably would also benefit from a decent powder coating rather than having a film. 

Edited by Baffo
1 minute ago, Baffo said:

Get the DF64/G-Iota in black, replace the cup for a metal one and it will be already 95% of looking like a slightly lesser attractive cousin of the Lagom.. 

Probably would also benefit from a decent powder coating rather than having a film. 

are you sold on it or still debating vs Niche (or something else?)

Just now, jonr2 said:

are you sold on it or still debating vs Niche (or something else?)

Tricky. I am an espresso newbie who will have the most stupidly expensive starter setup ever. Which means, I don't have a clue on the conical vs flat debate, and I do not know who to trust. For sure I can't draw on my own experience, and I can't even say whether I will like very light roasts (which according to hearsay is where a flat burr would shine). So basically I have very limited information to decide on. Which is something I hate, I like to research before I buy and here research is no use, it's all about personal preference, confirmation bias and legendary tales. 

If I had the Niche already I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having this new grinder, I'm sure that both the Niche and the G-dawg (this is how I will call it from now on) are good.. So perhaps I'm overthinking this. 

• Like 1

If it were my first grinder setup id not go for a brand new un tested machine. 

Id go for something with a proven track record, be it niche or something else. 

Fwiw if you can taste the difference between a flat and a conical then youre in the top 10% of the worlds coffee drinkers. 

As you say dont loose any sleep over it. 

Being Italian, id say your preference would be med to dark initially. 

• Like 2

Way too early for this sh...

4 minutes ago, Baffo said:

Tricky. I am an espresso newbie who will have the most stupidly expensive starter setup ever. Which means, I don't have a clue on the conical vs flat debate, and I do not know who to trust. For sure I can't draw on my own experience, and I can't even say whether I will like very light roasts (which according to hearsay is where a flat burr would shine). So basically I have very limited information to decide on. Which is something I hate, I like to research before I buy and here research is no use, it's all about personal preference, confirmation bias and legendary tales. 

If I had the Niche already I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having this new grinder, I'm sure that both the Niche and the G-dawg (this is how I will call it from now on) are good.. So perhaps I'm overthinking this. 

yep - in the same position.

started at the start of the year with a bambino and multi-purpose grinder - now waiting for a Bianca and thought i had decided on a niche when next available but now i dont know again!

good luck whatever you decide!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Baffo said:

Maybe a little. Both conicals & flats 'work'. Either grinder should be easy enough to sell on.

They both do what they do, you're job is really to set the grind, which works the same way for any grinder.

Which do you prefer in terms of looks?

5 minutes ago, MWJB said:

Maybe a little. Both conicals & flats 'work'. Either grinder should be easy enough to sell on.

They both do what they do, you're job is really to set the grind, which works the same way for any grinder.

Which do you prefer in terms of looks?

Well the Niche, but ultimately I like both, and due to BB machine+grinder discount which they kindly granted, I'd pay the G-dawg some £150+ less than the Niche.. You can see my problem here! 

25 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

If it were my first grinder setup id not go for a brand new un tested machine. 

Id go for something with a proven track record, be it niche or something else. 

Fwiw if you can taste the difference between a flat and a conical then youre in the top 10% of the worlds coffee drinkers. 

As you say dont loose any sleep over it. 

Being Italian, id say your preference would be med to dark initially. 

I would guess you're 100% right. But we've learned I know how to ignore all sensible advice. 

22 minutes ago, jonr2 said:

yep - in the same position.

started at the start of the year with a bambino and multi-purpose grinder - now waiting for a Bianca and thought i had decided on a niche when next available but now i dont know again!

good luck whatever you decide!

We might have a very similar setup. Do let me know if you make a decision on the grinder! 

• Like 1

Am I really the only one liking the plastic dosing cup?

This seems so much more functional. If I still see some grounds on the cup, I tap it a bit more. If the grounds are uneven on the PF, I shake it to even it.

I've seen some people complaining about the steel Niche cup that there were often grounds still stuck in it afterwards, this transparent one solves it for me 

14 minutes ago, CoffeeAndCigarettes said:

Am I really the only one liking the plastic dosing cup?

Personally... I’d grind straight into the PF. I do the same with the Niche.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

1 minute ago, Nightrider_1uk said:

from where? no pre orders available for any country atm,

Next delivery will be April so I’m assuming it won’t be long..if you sign up to the newsletter they’ll inform you when the pre-order opens. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Personally... I’d grind straight into the PF. I do the same with the Niche.

I grind straight into the portafilter with it.

• Like 1

Nothing here...

2 hours ago, Baffo said:

So basically I have very limited information to decide on. Which is something I hate, I like to research before I buy and here research is no use, it's all about personal preference, confirmation bias and legendary tales.

FWIW i think there is a wealth of good information on here regarding both machines and grinders....it's good that you are doing your own research (as i did) but you just have to look at the facts/specs/price (not personal opinions) of machine/grinder and decide which comes closest to YOUR initial requirements/budget....if two items are very closely matched then that's a harder decision to make...toss a coin and live with it....you can always sell it on later; plenty of peeps on here ready to snap up a bargain.

Again my research (2-3 months) didn't just stick to this one forum; i looked at others, read articles and watched squillions of YT video's.

When i'd narrowed down my choice (i didn't ask for recommendations) i just bit the bullet and whipped out the plastic, knowing if i'd got it wrong/wasn't happy then at least i'd only lose a small sum by selling them on....turns out i didn't need to...i.e. my choice was right for me 1st time....YMMV...good luck either way.

Edited by Rincewind
removed "it"
  • Like 4

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

FWIW i think there is a wealth of good information on here regarding both machines and grinders....it's good that you are doing your own research (as i did) but you just have to look at the facts/specs/price (not personal opinions) of machine/grinder and decide which comes closest to YOUR initial requirements/budget....if two items are very closely matched then that's a harder decision to make...toss a coin and live with it....you can always sell it on later; plenty of peeps on here ready to snap up a bargain.
Again my research (2-3 months) didn't just stick to this one forum; i looked at others, read articles and watched squillions of YT video's.
When i'd narrowed down my choice (i didn't ask for recommendations) i just bit the bullet and whipped out the plastic, knowing if i'd got it wrong/wasn't happy then at least i'd only lose a small sum by selling them on....turns out i didn't need to...i.e. my choice was right for me 1st time....YMMV...good luck either way.
I have always bought second hand grinders and only when I found smoking deals. Unbelievable for some but for example I had bought a Major E for 65€, before that I had bought SJ for 50€ etc. The risk is minim. Mi advice would be don't buy a new grinder, there are plenty of options second hand. And if you do want to buy new buy something already tested and tried. Buy a Niche for example, you cannot go wrong.
  • Like 3
On 22/02/2021 at 09:34, Northern_Monkey said:

Pretty accurate, maybe tighter clearance on the sweeper vanes and marginally less dead spots under the carrier.

More plastic than the Mazzers, especially on the adjustment collar. With the floating three spring top burr carrier it also means it won’t ever be super aligned. People questioned the difference fancy burrs would make on a SJ.

Not 100% convinced it adds a lot more than a SJ or Major with a Daniel Wong kit tbh. Cheaper mind, but arguably looks wise more divisive than the Niche, made me think of a metal bathroom pedal bin! 😂

I'm just trying to understand what you're saying about the carrier, could you explain a little more in depth? Which one has the 3 springs? Is this unique to this grinder? 

On 23/02/2021 at 00:05, ajohn said:

The reason for retention is where the grinds sweepers are. Around the edge on flat and under the burrs on conical. The difference in the amount held really relates to when the hopper is on. Niche uses conical and the sweeper is similar but it sweeps the lot out. Sage is different. Short path out, different style of sweeper and a short path out with little restriction. Other small conicals may be the same to some extent,

;) It gets "worse". Taking Mazzer as an example. The path from burrs to the "way out" is fairly long and has a grid over it in both cases. This holds back the grinds so the lot remains full of grinds when the hopper is on. This compresses them to some extent. So say a home user is using it like  this. Overnight the usual term used is the grinds go stale so first time it's used next day the grinder is purged of yesterdays grinds. More wasted on conical than flat.

The fact that the grinds are compressed means they exit it burrs at a different rate so when the grid is removed and it's used for weighing in a different grinder setting is needed to "obtain the same ratio" compared with hopper on. Finer but retention then may be no different on either type.

Another effect is breaking beans up to grind them. Flat uses centrifugal force bouncing the beans about. A weight of beans on top tends to keep them down in the burrs when the hopper is in use. Grinds continuously being forced through the burrs is what mostly causes them to come out. Some people have added tube to larger grinders to reduce the capacity of the hopper and then added a weight on top of the bean to make up for the lower total bean weight.

So convert flat to weighing in. If the top is open little bits of beans can be found feet from the grinder. Any tube type arrangement added gets coated with them. And the grinder will need setting finer.

Conical are distinctly different. Once a piece of bean is in them a sort of corkscrew action cause the grinds to emerge at the bottom. Essentially the don't need the weight of beans over them. ;) Then people worry about popcorning on them causing some effect so a little disk with  slot at the edge has been added above the burrs. Niche. Some have reported a finer grind being needed after this has been fitted. Some have found no change. Different grind rates could be a cause of the difference.

All rather simply put and grinders differ but some grinds compression is a general feature of all doserless hopper grinders. Just different ways of achieving it. Big conicals came about to get the grind rates up for commercial use. This is also an attraction on flats. A single grinder can do more cups per hour the faster it grinds. It needs more power so prices go up.

Taste in the cup ? Just about anything done to grinds can change that. What's good or bad is subjective.

Very educative for a newbie like us. 👍

• Like 1
2 hours ago, naturalganja said:

I'm just trying to understand what you're saying about the carrier, could you explain a little more in depth? Which one has the 3 springs? Is this unique to this grinder? 

Hi, have a look at the pics in this thread and it should be clearer. It’s a pretty common design for a lot of both home and professional grinders.

The upper burr is mounted onto a carrier which rests on the three springs, the adjustment collar presses the carrier down and this is resisted by the springs. Since the upper carrier can move around a bit in theory with the beans etc., people were questioning the cost/benefit of fitting super fancy precise burrs in a system which it is not fixed.

I had a SJ and have a soft spot for the Mazzers, don’t think I would have gotten red speed burrs for it though.

Hi, have a look at the pics in this thread and it should be clearer. It’s a pretty common design for a lot of both home and professional grinders.
The upper burr is mounted onto a carrier which rests on the three springs, the adjustment collar presses the carrier down and this is resisted by the springs. Since the upper carrier can move around a bit in theory with the beans etc., people were questioning the cost/benefit of fitting super fancy precise burrs in a system which it is not fixed.
I had a SJ and have a soft spot for the Mazzers, don’t think I would have gotten red speed burrs for it though.

I have the sensation that this grinder came out of nowhere, I still don't know yet who builds it . It looks very good, maybe too good. And the SSP burrs, do they really make a difference for a home user? I mean, what difference (s) should I notice with or without them?
  • Like 1