IGNORED

New G-Iota DF64 / Solo (?) 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder

1 hour ago, ajohn said:

Yes and it has been tested beyond doubt by people who use them and pick a certain type and even make. You may as well accept that as fact but not oh I have bought a new grinder X and it's better. That area is dubious if new.

I don’t think that meets the bar of an empirical test.  The only conclusion you can draw from those observations is that people buy grinders that have conical or flat burrs, and are able to indicate a preference between the two. However the results are tainted because those individuals have stated a preference (they think rather than know one is better than the other).

But a seminal artist of their time once said “If it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad”!

• Like 1

PMA all day!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't unsee a carbon-fibre duck carrying a glass wearing a top hat    

So I shared some feedback with Bella Barista regarding the carbon fibre wrap - I asked whether it was possible to include other colours in the first batch.  They have since been in touch and appa

Yeah...it's not what I found... I found things very comparable to the Niche on dose consistency, retention and exchange. Perhaps slightly higher on total retention, but similar on exchange. For t

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, CoffeeAndCigarettes said:

You guys are going way off-topic here, This post is to discuss this new grinder updates and tests, not debate about flat vs conical.

I agree. @DavecUK don't you think it was time that this thread was tidied up? Can't see the wood for the trees here!

14 minutes ago, CoffeeAndCigarettes said:

You guys are going way off-topic here, This post is to discuss this new grinder updates and tests, not debate about flat vs conical.

Not at all, the natural, practical & price, competitor to the DF64 is the conical equipped Niche, the DF64 also represents a flat option too, so discussions on the differences are not unexpected.

The thread is about the DF64 & it was the first dedicated thread to do so. It's not clear that the discussion is limited to tests, or updates specifically. 

That said, flat v conical isn't likely to be settled here anytime soon (if it even needs to be).

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Ando said:

@CoffeeAndCigarettes A brand new account that has commented within a minute of account opening, calling for a pretty useful (IMO) thread to be deleted. 🧐🙄 

The only thing of interest about grinders is how they are used, how they compare with others and the taste they produce. Omit that and all a post would need is a photo of it and the spec to which people could say Oh that looks good, it grinds at some rate and etc end of and no need for any discussions at all.

43 minutes ago, Ando said:

@CoffeeAndCigarettes A brand new account that has commented within a minute of account opening, calling for a pretty useful (IMO) thread to be deleted. 🧐🙄 

Not asking for it to be deleted, but I did create an account to reply because I am very interested in this specific grinder, and I have been trying to filter the info that is actually about the DF64 amongst posts that are debating burr shapes and size.

@DavecUK left out the whole conical/flat debate from his first replies for a reason. This is an age old debate that will never be settled, and is better discussed in specific topics.

• Like 1

next grinder i get is going to have circular burrs 

we can only speculate till some guinea pig    person buys the grinder

• Like 2

Way too early for this sh...

@Cuprajake from what I read elsewhere some people already have, and they seem to like it. I doubt that anybody on this forum will have it anytime soon (latest comm from BB was "we hope for April launch"...) unless they purchase from that Belgian website.

From what I can see, they have now jacked the prices on Alibaba, it's 400$ even if you buy 30+ units. I suppose there was an active request from some reseller to discourage people buying direct. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Baffo said:

From what I can see, they have now jacked the prices on Alibaba, it's 400$ even if you buy 30+ units. I suppose there was an active request from some reseller to discourage people buying direct. 

That's a bit of a shame :(

3 hours ago, Baffo said:

they have now jacked the prices on Alibaba, it's 400$ even if you buy 30+ units. I suppose there was an active request from some reseller to discourage people buying direct. 

I wonder who the jealous reseller was :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

4 hours ago, Cooffe said:

I agree. @DavecUK don't you think it was time that this thread was tidied up? Can't see the wood for the trees here!

I'm good with it TBH...interesting discussion and one I've been following closely. Sure threads sometimes wander from time to time...but it seems generally on topic and certainly an interesting read 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nothing here...

2 hours ago, profesor_historia said:

New video:

It does not look half bad, honestly. Just needs a replacement for the horrible glass. 

• Like 1

@profesor_historia Thanks for the video, i like the Red one (normally i'm biased to Black) that plastic cup looks shite, but as david said just replace it with a metal one from Amazon for a fiver.

interesting days ahead....good...as more choice.....hopefully more manufacturers will come up with a SD version and not cost the earth so to speak.

• Like 1

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

1 minute ago, Baffo said:

It does not look half bad, honestly. Just needs a replacement for the horrible glass. 

Oh...going to disappoint you now....it's plastic

adam savage mythbusters GIF

Nothing here...

2 minutes ago, profesor_historia said:

The Niche cup would be a perfect fit emoji16.png.

Yeah but then you’d have to wait until April before it shipped and find someone to buy the butt ugly grinder off you. 🙃

Down with this sort of thing. 

8 minutes ago, Dallah said:

Am I the only person that thinks it makes the Niche Zero a looker? 

Agreed. 

I hate the location of the switch. Hardly ergonomic. 

Also, does it really need to hands to turn the dial? Seems odd. 

It is good/ nice to see more affordable SD grinders come to market. Competition is good, not just for price but innovation to.

Hopefully better ways to clear the chamber/ chute than a blower for one. 

on the basis that this has taken inspiration? from the Lagom grinder - what do Lagom do to mean that they dont need the bellows on the top - is it build 'just' better build quality

26 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

I wonder who the jealous reseller was :classic_rolleyes:

Probably all of them in the EU/US and other markets. Things are frequently priced according to market, even within the UK.

I remember going drinking with a couple of pals from Leeds Yorks.,  in Kent in the 90's. They ordered 2 bottles of Holsten Pils in a pint glass each & our eyes widened. Must be made of money we thought. They explained they drink it all the time at home, landlord charged them £5 each...then their eyes widened! :-)