Coffee Forums banner

New G-Iota DF64 / Solo (?) 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder

255K views 2K replies 133 participants last post by  hotCUPPA 
#1 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
Thought I'd open a proper thread since we've been discussing it sparsely here and there.

Found a new more pics. Below.

There's also a Polish distributor that has posted plenty of testing info, here. A quick Google Translate gives me the following:
  • In our trials, the maximum retention was as follows:
  • When changing the thickness of the setting from fine to coarse, it swept up to 0.6 g. What remained inside the funnel, burrs and in the outlet did not exceed 0.1 g
  • When you grind for the first time after cleaning the grinder, it left up to 0.7 g.
  • Without changing the setting, between each espresso grinds up to 0.2 g.
  • Similarly, during subsequent regrinds to the overflow, the grinder stopped up to 0.1 g

nNBVKLETGOnOsQ-qPEudkU875hQ30SXSVRdn1ximXGKRKqlmkuQA121G170om6hF24rXYPwKtzoB5_xRuKXAUb7hB6MuO45VQPZMwUQQYEcY0dal4gxPvgjyfp8qGj9LmrIWj5lDee0233Xi3n3BICeu1XM_pbrbAk0RkrseGuSSlnWknBfBBouS86QuOnMxhz7epDWtHPe_-EFF59csE53wzae80CWQj1Y3qGunjEyDHrtEYE986eJ_u7-0NautQlHglruMpV8p5t5mpZToTvtWiMyO0lKNNAcJfp686Kb5NVGPH17-g8oVmV7-hSFayDT7bu1T17y2Lr3lwVxeTobDWBrVbbGLTX5kVdUigj_Lq-ZbFAt6_ZbYz2a9xcvAOeb1D11YXbvoGR6HQ-3T7z6m__Cp2s-hCVuy4VlGxtkuEwSgAAFp2HCSX7pwpThUWm-Cuq8ETNQQ-hnByj0wHllGGXYTGDhtOP3329YHZnFAWYlvDEkvQA_uxdtsWm-NVzMSjywn7-GzF9OWp7d7CHF9lhoHPXq5KY32AGFBLYyFzaWNd4UAibZmJxVG6xKXhFyIAdqo-NuGkp2NLPZ4fciKKQFPikim4wnU0Y2CNKMC8UWxsNKzmr54KhHVWzdp6HCCzQCbM-2YL19wvLA-l1NNzjjXgJ8OwG2OaDcMgEKF0yDMBELAGNEQfDRj1w=w445-h660-no?authuser=0

7atiY9HOo0uEIGrAIVyfuu4NmBAzVS04-3T0rGE8QKGrFYQYzhMIAvWzIxPeyelpzJAQIsH7-7ZC7vheJMrCv5fB9Kb8KUNTgFEUJEFMoKP3XXB9A7hL9Tf0OEr_D2OmS2XD_YCYLERSVMvDRfrFlqX0ts-jdN-5e5wj0LLopZtbK8b3N5f6jRgHYrKVpvgpMrYcIoUFM4_-afkJol33yjb054d_5-f8K8RvotZ4cTnuK2sEYdm4JaaiZEHDja3jVPmtfeO1PNb7snAJSC62e32Q4WDXJYore_yxmTImBPPbT-2MBpjuRKFTlsSHHBUZZEbdoBc61w0xLFD0nl7XftW71ZZ5N6QiPK4Li6h4QO1H0vhTBPlYNZYhyzqn6cjnJ63irNZSdHmVYYSNOrHAB1jb8nAsPMgHWOcnZlCro42xmJcPq5n6KcpjRxYz9whgyiX3Wv2ikXs4EHrVqzgZfWiel7Y3wJYA0NQ7OBnwU-BRNp4xw4mN9HtDdLRxubifDfH1tPwKeaQ82GeAn1Tk0lyvt7wL1XFtz8Mrt58Vic7krYktkYnCiKtXEgIlpSh-8pHKdLlRkzsn1bfM-XLMx9zHY7nILoAuvATyKMNUGf7hvvCzBoFfJzaoEPSPARkISsYk0EDtC6uTaYn81hCdS0giC3SkrcoJIoazjIObwua4g2pM2ie1VT4Knk3P7w=w445-h660-no?authuser=0

B3vDmE994-V0rTCxmXp2_k2hzYmiDZQvi6eqeAr4-xq_RfeusOIdnjO-1FqLY1ljmE4vXBkODmIQVumVIwafb9JIIh585fTRgG0BoH0VhBcm3n1Gr6QJvcgjKakFyyo-WU0MoJdBZ1-YBNdwxCn8TfLec0d-ffn8h32-jh5q1AgxAhPsyGNW5kfkndRYCv0X9dqCCCyC4YpGb1YsHkBppBqUwjSZfHEfUix3iqJ18OBDNroxcbDorFQb2tVpCWn8E3e2wMrfDEKswPyiX7da53i2o8SfQLOe3BLub6Y4qrdDDSP3MDAw-OEbBzhNaHZv2G4rMSDRKvZOCV91E7uzIVkJDaMH88UdJ3N3XwNsD2fHlO2Q1eJNcPBOqxviqcOdctHoJ44knEHCa9-ZEmSMPljpMuWzEoirT7yFSTRvlrn3PDdFpF2EkAq7TQZpnUX-0FNp2DxNly2mpdQAAqbvzalzQyVuPg-BdBaqe4jkFFvunf17vW289W1aelUnf8Zk-ohr89ZNFDBLXbOO1HqxFGuZ5v6oeb2cF3MuRP26b85DYP6JqgBn_P0OeWbWqdvaLCVU6kzFh2Gvgeh3JB95rOcu1N9XiO3AZNSZQGodvuULfH-S-6kP_msGpl0EUTk11-fzf8PUN9VEqtdTx3G6RWTK61OJrypfJuu7tSxNJ5UvPTa8aQlwwYrkemIVXQ=w890-h591-no?authuser=0

juPaGX21_hKUdtaqxTpJAVs5AiSY-oGnnxh0crjy2m_GiLpryO9-Wsm1NYyyd9yirQy1GOrpwEyLcihO-xSug5522swSXUyRqqBg8AjZe1k8rn4VSunkYP-QiC6ZGDLTtB8kbSQV5Qzo9DyuRrHUE5rclecBG-YBtNY09I6BOOIbRkAobujg8N1_wapi9qW05qLa-zR6g5eycBLyYvLjOW5NgOdGnIdfHi_IfuqgoG3JtlS0CO8VLG2YHEAxcWoXBmTsYI7kJHIfmdHZW9A5nWFlQOdNuw83tLNqvhZXIF_pNwv6YApdvgEkDRl4LGUQ4o4_uHBM1YcJFb8Jg0v5_v87rtCN_6OB5Oq0qI5J6PLOBBJcalp0d_1ZwVNivLALWEr5GxAsWoARop2YaoSa9B2TN51iL0vliilHek1dpJLclWuXIfopZk5H90lSzNdoAduVBUvbZN1_8_1LRujE5mdCKaiKzOEdsqC5Zm1jhBDE2q5Ao9bx24Li76rEAKm0TzZO2mqm577vRzUyBQpBoNpKWOtsTflrooa_oCr5PRJRC7lho9G7Pi6Dx5UXCaTVGoGnoeMvxvfPtUNtuxB72cusOBRd4yKhVPXLb8gt58rkx3tD7uZaDuIT_TOnDzxvdKzXPvnprQsHczWbUpk0Sdk9gV8yU2fakib1XMQ7y2xLzvl1oqxLme_lAUwuRA=w890-h591-no?authuser=0

See less See more
#8 Ā·
I don't understand much about issues with burr alignment, SSP unimodal burs, what-have-you, but here goes
Espresso grind from typical burr grinders (I've never seem a plot from a 3 phase, huge burr grinder) has never yet been identified as unimodal.

#24 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
Pretty accurate, maybe tighter clearance on the sweeper vanes and marginally less dead spots under the carrier.

More plastic than the Mazzers, especially on the adjustment collar. With the floating three spring top burr carrier it also means it won't ever be super aligned. People questioned the difference fancy burrs would make on a SJ.

Not 100% convinced it adds a lot more than a SJ or Major with a Daniel Wong kit tbh. Cheaper mind, but arguably looks wise more divisive than the Niche, made me think of a metal bathroom pedal bin! šŸ˜‚

#6 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
4 minutes ago, aganov said:

he's already posted the below, which I'm copypasting just so that I don't direct people to the other thread where this G-Iota is off-topic. I presume this is as far as he can go for now?

@DavecUK (not me) said:

I fired off a pm, usually I don't like to get involved in stuff like this. The owner of Time Leisure (part of the group of companies of which BB is one), has confirmed to me that they will definitely be stocking it.

I don't know when, but I imagine it won't be long...I think the first batch is going to be air shipped....I'd recommend you keep your eyes peeled for any pre-order on the site. I will probably do a Mini Review, regardless, even though I have not been asked to. It's pretty good though...video is as video does. Watch it and look. Here are a few photos. The coffee can't actually get into the motor chamber, no route, that's a good thing. Made in China, but it's not rubbish, and I think a rather good grinder for the potential price. Retention is almost much nil like the Niche...although I do wish I had a dosing ring (being solved soon by the kindness of a member). Stirring not necessary as you saw, although it might help, I don't bother.

So, yeah...it's not a bad grinder at all, and I have a set of TiN burrs coming, how much difference they will make..don't know....should make some. If you want a flat burr alternative to the Niche, that's probably cheaper...here it is.....I suspect it might become the first of many entering a market that has not been well served up to now.

Wg46VkxmC3t_OA6oTNA1G6NXEUIO0V0EMPq_FIhY

P.S. The plastic cup is what it is...just get a metal one from Amazon for Ā£5 ish.

#13 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
@MWJB I was merely referring to the title and content of the video (which eludes my understanding; I've yet to go this deep into the rabbit hole) Mark, surely not passing any judgement. Are you suggesting that such expensive burrs would be poor value for getting "better flavour in the cup"?
Sure, I appreciate that, and it's somewhat moot - you'll grind at the setting that works & produces a good cup, whilst not caring/knowing how many modes you have. But there is growing misinformation on the existence of unimodal espresso grinders. If someone was considering a range of grinders, this perceived notion might be what tips into making a purchase - and they may well enjoy this purchase...as they might an option they passed over. They might also believe a choice of grinder makes them more physically attractive, but I don't think anyone on this forum would believe that :).

I am making no suggestion, nor comment on flavour in the cup, nor on the cash value/utility of the burrs.

#14 Ā·
Without trying to influence people...don't care if you buy one or not or where you get it from.

• Heavy, mainly metal where it needs to be

• Aluminium alloy, so a fair bit of motor weight

• Polycarbonate front spine...is, well, polycarbonate

• Power button illuminted, it's OK

• Poratilter forks, OK

• Bottom bit it stands on...Polycarbonate...feet on mine were stuck on by someone else, have no idea what production feet will be like. So if you intend using the grinder upside down...it might be a concern

• drop it on the floor...bits might break...in transit, looks like it will be quite robust and won't go out of alignment if they drop the package

• fit is OK

• Rubber bellows are OK

• Colour of mine is aluminium...but it's a wrap, I cave also seen a carbon fibre wrap one...which I think BB will get...looks OK

• You probably won't be taking loads of photos of it like a Lyn Weber, or Monolith...

Works OK though and I'd broadly agree with the polish distributors findings...it's effectively a flat burr grinder that can do what the Niche can do but with bellows...not quite as elegant, but it's cheaper. The real difference then becomes, price and flat vs conical and I'm not even going to go there.

#22 Ā·
I'm struggling to understand what's the main difference between this grinder and, as per above, a modified for single dose (lens hood mod?) Atom / Mignon / 64e or any other grinder with similar burr chamber/chute design.

Maybe the burr chamber design is different, I don't know... Is it? Do the burrs spin at a lower speed? What are the main differences inside this grinder compared to a box standard hopper fed grinder modified for single dose?

#23 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
I'm struggling to understand what's the main difference between this grinder and, as per above, a modified for single dose (lens hood mod?) Atom / Mignon / 64e or any other grinder with similar burr chamber/chute design.

Maybe the burr chamber design is different, I don't know... Is it? Do the burrs spin at a lower speed? What are the main differences inside this grinder compared to a box standard hopper fed grinder modified for single dose?
I don't think there's any difference in functionality per se, at least by the looks of the video, it does not seem like workflow is any different. You fill the "hopper" with your dose, start grinding, give it a few puffs, done.

I suppose the only difference is that:

- if you look at a comparably-priced Eureka (Specialita, Ā£359, + mod, let's say Ā£20) you get far bigger burrs for the same price with this one.

- if you look at a comparably-burred (sic) Eureka (Atom 65, Mignon XL65) you have to pay far less for the same burrs on this one.

#25 Ā·
I'm not sure that you couldn't say the same for *any* grinder. Fundamentally, they're just a motor and a set of burrs.

#39 Ā·
Understood. But, take an example, the Niche: It's clear why it's virtually zero retention. You can see the work done. On this one, I'm failing to see. Maybe because I haven't looked hard enough in the videos and pictures available - there are not many - but I can't see the obvious difference between the burr chamber and chute path between this one and an Eureka Specialita - as an example. It seems that the coffee grinds are dislodged by air and air alone. So, in theory, the same can be done with the Mignon.

#26 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
I have been following it for a while now - a Belgium retailer has opened pre-orders last month and I am very tempted: 399 euro with standard burrs and 659 with SSP burrs.

For Europeans this is cheaper than a Niche Zero, which sells for 750 euro (including VAT and other fees). With the difference that the Niche has been around for a while and it's tested and proven, but that's another story šŸ™‚

The first batch will be shipped mid march, so hopefully we'll get more info and reviews

#27 Ā·
@Aidy - Some grinders have augers (EK and atom etc.) bean turbine (Kafatek) or weights added in the throat by people as a way of helping them be more uniform on single dosing. Cheapest solution was the bean flow control disc now shipped as standard with Niche grinders for that.

Other grinders have more efficient sweeper mechanisms like the Niche Zero etc., or enough grunt in the motor to clear more effectively if single dosed like a modified Major or Atom 75e.

#32 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
@MWJB think he's referring to the fact that as things stand now, the Niche is circa 25% more expensive in EU due to VAT being applied twice + import duties which are currently (until a system is devised) hitting goods moving from EU to UK and vice versa when the vendor is charging prices incl. VAT. Which makes the value proposition of this new grinder all the more appealing.

#33 Ā·
@MWJB think he's referring to the fact that as things stand now, the Niche is circa 25% more expensive in EU due to VAT being applied twice + import duties which are hitting goods moving from EU to UK and vice versa. Which makes the value proposition of this new grinder all the more appealing.
Sure, but there are options, from Compak for example.

#38 Ā·
So apparently the "DS64", new name pending, will be available for pre-order at Bella Barista in the next few days in the OEM carbon fibre style. 100 or so should be shipped before the end of the month. Bella Barista have 3 month exclusivity in the U.K.

...I might pre-order a Niche, as buying the "DS64" is a bit of a punt at the moment.
Thanks for the info. Do you know whether BB will offer any kind of warranty? Unsure whether the 2-year BTB warranty applies to grinders in general.

#42 Ā·
As someone in the market currently for a new grinder, I'm struggling to see how this beats a Niche (I don't and have never owned one).
When I had issues with my Specialita I was told that Ā£350 is entry level for a grinder and u get what you pay for etc etc..
This grinder is surely no different to that - entry level and as such likely to have problems at some point.
Tried and tested vs Unknown entity all to save Ā£100 (not exactly life changing sum of money regardless of budget)

#43 Ā·
As someone in the market currently for a new grinder, I'm struggling to see how this beats a Niche (I don't and have never owned one).
When I had issues with my Specialita I was told that Ā£350 is entry level for a grinder and u get what you pay for etc etc..
This grinder is surely no different to that - entry level and as such likely to have problems at some point.
Tried and tested vs Unknown entity all to save Ā£100 (not exactly life changing sum of money regardless of budget)
This grinder has burrs that are found on models that cost many times more. 64mm burrs are all but entry level.

The only reasons where it could edge the Niche are the potential absence of a 2-month (or longer) wait upon purchase, and the flat burrs (some people seem to prefer flat to conical, I wouldn't know). This new grinder does what a modded Eureka does, so nothing revolutionary, but *in theory* it has much better spec for the money.

Other than this, yes, tried and tested vs unknows is a fair point and it is a punt. But so was Niche a while back.

#49 Ā·
Baffo said:
There is no work being done. This grinder is simply the result of a market that has been *extremely* slow to catch up on the huge success of the Niche. It's nearly unbelievable how no manufacturer has decided to act on this new single-dosing revolution (or fad, depending on whom you ask) by just throwing a set of bellows together with their grinders, leaving it to people with 3d printers and/or ingenuity around the world. Eureka does sell one (or at least, did) but this is in not really advertised and it's not included with the grinder itself.
I completely agree. Rancilio is yet to launch the V50 which is very promising, vertical 50mm flat burrs claiming a very low retention. Let's see.

I am waiting for the Arco, but if I were looking for a new grinder this would be the dilemma: paying 750ā‚¬ for a Niche and waiting for 2 months or 399ā‚¬ for this G-IOTA?
I know Niche may be superior in many aspects, but it almost the double!

#78 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
I am waiting for the Arco, but if I were looking for a new grinder this would be the dilemma: paying 750ā‚¬ for a Niche and waiting for 2 months or 399ā‚¬ for this G-IOTA?
But the G-IOTA is LESS money AND you get RED SPEED BURRS for ONLY 659 Euro's + any fee's....yes that's Ā£569 + any fees......WOW šŸ˜Ž

click to see

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.