IGNORED

New G-Iota DF64 / Solo (?) 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder

14 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@naturalganja - did you buy yours from Bella Barista in the UK? Might as well contact them if you did.

No I bought it with The Gluons. I was talking to David and also to the factory in China about my "issues". They are really good, responsive and immediately offered to replace the unit. That was before I realized I  jumped the gun a little and there is probably nothing wrong with the grinder. My latest results with it seem to go along this finding. So all positive! 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So my grinder arrived about 4 hours ago - been speinding some time looking at the construction and making some fine adjustments. The below review is not about the function of the grinder (I have only

Well did my Mini review https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2021/03/23/solo-64mm-elr-grinder-review/  

Pulled the PCB out this morning to get pictures of both sides and check if the wires are through-hole soldered or not. Happy to report that the wires are actually through-hole soldered, not just

Posted Images

12 hours ago, AnthonyTD said:

So the mod I did was to cut some strips of aluminum tape and tape across the join where the burr meets the carrier. I assume it worked but I never removed the burr again to check. That said however I did notice that one piece of alimunim tape was starting to come off yesterday so I remove it all and have not put it back. I guess I did not clean the surfaces well enough before applying it. Perhaps I will try again some day.

@DavecUK I suggested earlier that perhaps that cavity under the top burr could be filled with silicon adhesive which has the advantage that it fills gaps well and also can be removed easily enough if wanted later. Only concern I think is that most silicon sealants are quite pungent for the first couple days and this may affect your coffee if it does make its way into it (probably quite unlikely though).

Other thoughts on semi permanent fillers are:

1. The expanding foam that is used for insulation in building (you can remove it by pouring acetone over it if needed). 

2. Blu Tak - this might work pretty well to fill that cavity beforer applying the burrs.

3. Pack it with cotton wool.

This stuff is pretty good at filling holes:

https://sugru.com/

It has the consistency of putty and then hardens to rubber after a few hours in contact with the air. I use it to make custom grommets for filling cable holes in bike frames, when converting them from cable to electronic gear shifting.

I don't own this grinder but was about to press buy 2 days ago on BB, then I saw this 49 page thread! Sounds like it has some issues. Should I wait?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Artie said:

Sounds like it has some issues. Should I wait?

I don't think they are issues as such, some people like to tweak any machine to the max, and share them on forums, making you think that these changes are absolutely needed, but I believe this machine is perfectly capable on its own.

If you read @DavecUK's mini-review, I believe you can pretty much get a view of the stock grinder's capabilities, and make up your own mind :)

• Like 2

I second what C&C said. While a lot of my posts here are talking about tweaking it if you look for my first post it was around disassembling it and shoeing the internals. All in all a well made and solid grubber.
DaveC review details how well it works.

For the price in think it is a winner.

• Like 2

@CoffeeAndCigarettes  I just don't like that space filling with coffee and some sort of cheap everyday adhesive can fill the gap, wipe off the face and won't stick the burr in permanently. I'm even thinking of using blue tak!

One of the things that might make it fill up fast as mine didn't have much in at all...is to puff before the coffee has stopped comoing out the spout...always wait and then one or two gentle puffs once it's stopped. If you do it before any frgments still backfiring from the breaker zone, can end up inside..

Right, off to push some blue tak in there.

• Like 2

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

11 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

@DavecUK aaand, blue tak didn't work.

hahaha at least we know! Did you try to just seal the little gap or you filled up the whole thing?

5 hours ago, Artie said:

I don't own this grinder but was about to press buy 2 days ago on BB, then I saw this 49 page thread! Sounds like it has some issues. Should I wait?

Same as everyone else here, I wouldn't recommend you to wait, prices are going up and this is a great grinder. I was one of the one who thought there was an issue, until I realized there wasn't and what I thought was misaligned was actually just a visual trick that you can see on other grinders such as some Niches etc... All good over here and results are getting better and better as the burrs season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, naturalganja said:

All good over here and results are getting better and better as the burrs season

Ok that's it. I've done it. I've pulled the trigger.

The next step in my quest for decent home espresso. This will be an upgrade from my old and reliable Sage Smart Grinder Pro 😊

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Artie said:

The next step in my quest for decent home espresso. This will be an upgrade from my old and reliable Sage Smart Grinder Pro 😊

You won't regret it mate. I'm in exactly the same position. Upgraded from the SGP and have had the Solo a week. It's a noticeable improvement and I'm not even considering all the shimming mods etc. being referred to here. Works perfectly well for my needs and ability 😄

• Like 4
22 hours ago, DavecUK said:

@naturalganja Just tried to seal the little gap, but it wouldn't go in...

Thanks for the feedback! It's ok we'll find a way! 

22 hours ago, Artie said:

Good on you! You won't regret it and will definitely enjoy the upgrade! Happy brewing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, and a full review forthcoming in the next few months.

Also a bunch of espresso machines in the background, including a MaraX!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Bicky said:

Interesting, and a full review forthcoming in the next few months.

Also a bunch of espresso machines in the background, including a MaraX!

yes, the line up of machines behind is interesting, should be a good video coming soon

• Like 1

I hope that the price wont go to 500-600 Euro after James' possibly positive review, although i may have already buy it by then. I just wait for the coloured batch from homebarista.
I saw he showed a uniformal ssp for his wilfa, so hopefully he will compare a uniformal with the Italmills and not a HU ssp, in his review in the following months.

11 minutes ago, thodoris5321 said:

I saw he showed a uniformal ssp for his wilfa, so hopefully he will compare a uniformal with the Italmills and not a HU ssp, in his review in the following months.

I think you mean unimodal (in drip grind region) rather than uniformal. He also said that it introduced problems for the Wilfa.

• Like 1