IGNORED

New G-Iota DF64 / Solo (?) 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder

Thought I'd open a proper thread since we've been discussing it sparsely here and there. 

Found a new more pics. Below.

There's also a Polish distributor that has posted plenty of testing info, here. A quick Google Translate gives me the following: 

In our trials, the maximum retention was as follows:
- When changing the thickness of the setting from fine to coarse, it swept up to 0.6 g. What remained inside the funnel, burrs and in the outlet did not exceed 0.1 g
- When you grind for the first time after cleaning the grinder, it left up to 0.7 g.
- Without changing the setting, between each espresso grinds up to 0.2 g.
- Similarly, during subsequent regrinds to the overflow, the grinder stopped up to 0.1 g

nNBVKLETGOnOsQ-qPEudkU875hQ30SXSVRdn1ximXGKRKqlmkuQA121G170om6hF24rXYPwKtzoB5_xRuKXAUb7hB6MuO45VQPZMwUQQYEcY0dal4gxPvgjyfp8qGj9LmrIWj5lDee0233Xi3n3BICeu1XM_pbrbAk0RkrseGuSSlnWknBfBBouS86QuOnMxhz7epDWtHPe_-EFF59csE53wzae80CWQj1Y3qGunjEyDHrtEYE986eJ_u7-0NautQlHglruMpV8p5t5mpZToTvtWiMyO0lKNNAcJfp686Kb5NVGPH17-g8oVmV7-hSFayDT7bu1T17y2Lr3lwVxeTobDWBrVbbGLTX5kVdUigj_Lq-ZbFAt6_ZbYz2a9xcvAOeb1D11YXbvoGR6HQ-3T7z6m__Cp2s-hCVuy4VlGxtkuEwSgAAFp2HCSX7pwpThUWm-Cuq8ETNQQ-hnByj0wHllGGXYTGDhtOP3329YHZnFAWYlvDEkvQA_uxdtsWm-NVzMSjywn7-GzF9OWp7d7CHF9lhoHPXq5KY32AGFBLYyFzaWNd4UAibZmJxVG6xKXhFyIAdqo-NuGkp2NLPZ4fciKKQFPikim4wnU0Y2CNKMC8UWxsNKzmr54KhHVWzdp6HCCzQCbM-2YL19wvLA-l1NNzjjXgJ8OwG2OaDcMgEKF0yDMBELAGNEQfDRj1w=w445-h660-no?authuser=0

7atiY9HOo0uEIGrAIVyfuu4NmBAzVS04-3T0rGE8QKGrFYQYzhMIAvWzIxPeyelpzJAQIsH7-7ZC7vheJMrCv5fB9Kb8KUNTgFEUJEFMoKP3XXB9A7hL9Tf0OEr_D2OmS2XD_YCYLERSVMvDRfrFlqX0ts-jdN-5e5wj0LLopZtbK8b3N5f6jRgHYrKVpvgpMrYcIoUFM4_-afkJol33yjb054d_5-f8K8RvotZ4cTnuK2sEYdm4JaaiZEHDja3jVPmtfeO1PNb7snAJSC62e32Q4WDXJYore_yxmTImBPPbT-2MBpjuRKFTlsSHHBUZZEbdoBc61w0xLFD0nl7XftW71ZZ5N6QiPK4Li6h4QO1H0vhTBPlYNZYhyzqn6cjnJ63irNZSdHmVYYSNOrHAB1jb8nAsPMgHWOcnZlCro42xmJcPq5n6KcpjRxYz9whgyiX3Wv2ikXs4EHrVqzgZfWiel7Y3wJYA0NQ7OBnwU-BRNp4xw4mN9HtDdLRxubifDfH1tPwKeaQ82GeAn1Tk0lyvt7wL1XFtz8Mrt58Vic7krYktkYnCiKtXEgIlpSh-8pHKdLlRkzsn1bfM-XLMx9zHY7nILoAuvATyKMNUGf7hvvCzBoFfJzaoEPSPARkISsYk0EDtC6uTaYn81hCdS0giC3SkrcoJIoazjIObwua4g2pM2ie1VT4Knk3P7w=w445-h660-no?authuser=0

B3vDmE994-V0rTCxmXp2_k2hzYmiDZQvi6eqeAr4-xq_RfeusOIdnjO-1FqLY1ljmE4vXBkODmIQVumVIwafb9JIIh585fTRgG0BoH0VhBcm3n1Gr6QJvcgjKakFyyo-WU0MoJdBZ1-YBNdwxCn8TfLec0d-ffn8h32-jh5q1AgxAhPsyGNW5kfkndRYCv0X9dqCCCyC4YpGb1YsHkBppBqUwjSZfHEfUix3iqJ18OBDNroxcbDorFQb2tVpCWn8E3e2wMrfDEKswPyiX7da53i2o8SfQLOe3BLub6Y4qrdDDSP3MDAw-OEbBzhNaHZv2G4rMSDRKvZOCV91E7uzIVkJDaMH88UdJ3N3XwNsD2fHlO2Q1eJNcPBOqxviqcOdctHoJ44knEHCa9-ZEmSMPljpMuWzEoirT7yFSTRvlrn3PDdFpF2EkAq7TQZpnUX-0FNp2DxNly2mpdQAAqbvzalzQyVuPg-BdBaqe4jkFFvunf17vW289W1aelUnf8Zk-ohr89ZNFDBLXbOO1HqxFGuZ5v6oeb2cF3MuRP26b85DYP6JqgBn_P0OeWbWqdvaLCVU6kzFh2Gvgeh3JB95rOcu1N9XiO3AZNSZQGodvuULfH-S-6kP_msGpl0EUTk11-fzf8PUN9VEqtdTx3G6RWTK61OJrypfJuu7tSxNJ5UvPTa8aQlwwYrkemIVXQ=w890-h591-no?authuser=0

juPaGX21_hKUdtaqxTpJAVs5AiSY-oGnnxh0crjy2m_GiLpryO9-Wsm1NYyyd9yirQy1GOrpwEyLcihO-xSug5522swSXUyRqqBg8AjZe1k8rn4VSunkYP-QiC6ZGDLTtB8kbSQV5Qzo9DyuRrHUE5rclecBG-YBtNY09I6BOOIbRkAobujg8N1_wapi9qW05qLa-zR6g5eycBLyYvLjOW5NgOdGnIdfHi_IfuqgoG3JtlS0CO8VLG2YHEAxcWoXBmTsYI7kJHIfmdHZW9A5nWFlQOdNuw83tLNqvhZXIF_pNwv6YApdvgEkDRl4LGUQ4o4_uHBM1YcJFb8Jg0v5_v87rtCN_6OB5Oq0qI5J6PLOBBJcalp0d_1ZwVNivLALWEr5GxAsWoARop2YaoSa9B2TN51iL0vliilHek1dpJLclWuXIfopZk5H90lSzNdoAduVBUvbZN1_8_1LRujE5mdCKaiKzOEdsqC5Zm1jhBDE2q5Ao9bx24Li76rEAKm0TzZO2mqm577vRzUyBQpBoNpKWOtsTflrooa_oCr5PRJRC7lho9G7Pi6Dx5UXCaTVGoGnoeMvxvfPtUNtuxB72cusOBRd4yKhVPXLb8gt58rkx3tD7uZaDuIT_TOnDzxvdKzXPvnprQsHczWbUpk0Sdk9gV8yU2fakib1XMQ7y2xLzvl1oqxLme_lAUwuRA=w890-h591-no?authuser=0

Edited by Baffo
proper grammar sometimes eludes me
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't unsee a carbon-fibre duck carrying a glass wearing a top hat    

New video:

Thought I'd open a proper thread since we've been discussing it sparsely here and there.  Found a new more pics. Below. There's also a Polish distributor that has posted plenty of testing in

Posted Images

It seems to be a shrunk and tilted SJ? Though that may be over simplistic? 

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> Fracino Cherub—> La Pav Europiccola:

:Mazzer SuperJolly:

:Hario V60+aeropress:

4 minutes ago, aganov said:

@DavecUK may we have photos/info of the internals 😛  motor, gears etc?

he's already posted the below, which I'm copypasting just so that I don't direct people to the other thread where this G-Iota is off-topic. I presume this is as far as he can go for now?

@DavecUK (not me) said:

I fired off a pm, usually I don't like to get involved in stuff like this. The owner of Time Leisure (part of the group of companies of which BB is one), has confirmed to me that they will definitely be stocking it.

I don't know when, but I imagine it won't be long...I think the first batch is going to be air shipped....I'd recommend you keep your eyes peeled for any pre-order on the site. I will probably do a Mini Review, regardless, even though I have not been asked to. It's pretty good though...video is as video does. Watch it and look. Here are a few photos. The coffee can't actually get into the motor chamber, no route, that's a good thing. Made in China, but it's not rubbish, and I think a rather good grinder for the potential price. Retention is almost much nil like the Niche...although I do wish I had a dosing ring (being solved soon by the kindness of a member). Stirring not necessary as you saw, although it might help, I don't bother.

So, yeah...it's not a bad grinder at all, and I have a set of TiN burrs coming, how much difference they will make..don't know....should make some. If you want a flat burr alternative to the Niche, that's probably cheaper...here it is.....I suspect it might become the first of many entering a market that has not been well served up to now.

Wg46VkxmC3t_OA6oTNA1G6NXEUIO0V0EMPq_FIhY

P.S. The plastic cup is what it is...just get a metal one from Amazon for £5 ish.

Edited by Baffo
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Baffo said:

I don't understand much about issues with burr alignment, SSP unimodal burs, what-have-you, but here goes

Espresso grind from typical burr grinders (I've never seem a plot from a 3 phase, huge burr grinder) has never yet been identified as unimodal.

• Like 1

@MWJB I was merely referring to the title and content of the video (which eludes my understanding; I've yet to go this deep into the rabbit hole) Mark, surely not passing any judgement as I've got zero knowledge on the matter. Are you suggesting that such expensive burrs would be poor value for getting "better flavour in the cup"? 

Edited by Baffo
14 minutes ago, Baffo said:

@MWJB I was merely referring to the title and content of the video (which eludes my understanding; I've yet to go this deep into the rabbit hole) Mark, surely not passing any judgement. Are you suggesting that such expensive burrs would be poor value for getting "better flavour in the cup"? 

Sure, I appreciate that, and it's somewhat moot - you'll grind at the setting that works & produces a good cup, whilst not caring/knowing how many modes you have. But there is growing misinformation on the existence of unimodal espresso grinders. If someone was considering a range of grinders, this perceived notion might be what tips into making a purchase - and they may well enjoy this purchase...as they might an option they passed over. They might also believe a choice of grinder makes them more physically attractive, but I don't think anyone on this forum would believe that :-).

I am making no suggestion, nor comment on flavour in the cup, nor on the cash value/utility of the burrs.

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, NikC said:

Does look interesting- be good to know what the quality of the materials, fit and finish is like.

Without trying to influence people...don't care if you buy one or not or where you get it from.

• Heavy, mainly metal where it needs to be
  • Aluminium alloy, so a fair bit of motor weight
  • Polycarbonate front spine...is, well, polycarbonate
  • Power button illuminted, it's OK
  • Poratilter forks, OK
  • Bottom bit it stands on...Polycarbonate...feet on mine were stuck on by someone else, have no idea what production feet will be like. So if you intend using the grinder upside down...it might be a concern
  • drop it on the floor...bits might break...in transit, looks like it will be quite robust and won't go out of alignment if they drop the package
  • fit is OK
  • Rubber bellows are OK
  • Colour of mine is aluminium...but it's a wrap, I cave also seen a carbon fibre wrap one...which I think BB will get...looks OK
  • You probably won't be taking loads of photos of it like a Lyn Weber, or Monolith...

Works OK though and I'd broadly agree with the polish distributors findings...it's effectively a flat burr grinder that can do what the Niche can do but with bellows...not quite as elegant, but it's cheaper. The real difference then becomes, price and flat vs conical and I'm not even going to go there.

• Like 1

Nothing here...

4 minutes ago, NikC said:

Thanks DaveC that's very useful. Looks like it and a modified specialita could be in same bracket?

Umm...No

Nothing here...

24 minutes ago, NikC said:

Thanks DaveC that's very useful. Looks like it and a modified specialita could be in same bracket?

At least to get similar burrs you'd need to look at the new Mignon XL65 and add bellows to it. We'd be probably hovering around a grand total of £650. Which is nearly double the £399 price tag for this one. 

Now, of course there's more to life than burr size, and there's still plenty of unknowns regarding this new product (after sales support, spare parts, motor and component long term reliability, manufacturer unknown..), but if we are merely looking at the spec sheet vs the price, then it's leagues ahead a comparable Mignon by virtue of a price that is roughly 40% lower (if compared to an XL65) or by virtue of far larger burrs (if compared to a similarly priced £360-ish Eureka)

Of course, this is for people who want to single dose. The Eureka can still be run with a full hopper. This one.. Well, doesn't even have one.

Edited by Baffo
added some details
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Baffo said:

I don't understand much about issues with burr alignment, SSP unimodal burs, what-have-you, but here goes

Ultra Newbie here, but

Shut up and take my MONEY!!! A coffee machine with stats and data 🤣 me want 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, NikC said:

I think you're right - a modified specialita, with its flat burrs and almost nil retention after the appropriate mods have been completed will be similar.

16 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

I think you're right - a modified specialita, with its flat burrs and almost nil retention after the appropriate mods have been completed will be similar.

Burr size, geometry and alignment will all make a difference .

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mrboots2u said:

Burr size, geometry and alignment will all make a difference .

Completely agree, however if none of that has been confirmed (aside from burr size) then we can only assume it will be comparable to the Mignon?

I'm struggling to understand what's the main difference between this grinder and, as per above, a modified for single dose (lens hood mod?) Atom / Mignon / 64e or any other grinder with similar burr chamber/chute design. 

Maybe the burr chamber design is different, I don't know... Is it? Do the burrs spin at a lower speed?  What are the main differences inside this grinder compared to a box standard hopper fed grinder modified for single dose? 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

5 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I'm struggling to understand what's the main difference between this grinder and, as per above, a modified for single dose (lens hood mod?) Atom / Mignon / 64e or any other grinder with similar burr chamber/chute design. 

Maybe the burr chamber design is different, I don't know... Is it? Do the burrs spin at a lower speed?  What are the main differences inside this grinder compared to a box standard hopper fed grinder modified for single dose? 

I don't think there's any difference in functionality per se, at least by the looks of the video, it does not seem like workflow is any different. You fill the "hopper" with your dose, start grinding, give it a few puffs, done. 

I suppose the only difference is that:

- if you look at a comparably-priced Eureka (Specialita, £359, + mod, let's say £20) you get far bigger burrs for the same price with this one.

- if you look at a comparably-burred (sic) Eureka (Atom 65, Mignon XL65) you have to pay far less for the same burrs on this one. 

Edited by Baffo
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Missy said:

It seems to be a shrunk and tilted SJ? Though that may be over simplistic? 

Pretty accurate, maybe tighter clearance on the sweeper vanes and marginally less dead spots under the carrier.

More plastic than the Mazzers, especially on the adjustment collar. With the floating three spring top burr carrier it also means it won’t ever be super aligned. People questioned the difference fancy burrs would make on a SJ.

Not 100% convinced it adds a lot more than a SJ or Major with a Daniel Wong kit tbh. Cheaper mind, but arguably looks wise more divisive than the Niche, made me think of a metal bathroom pedal bin! 😂

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Like 3

I'm struggling to understand what's the main difference between this grinder and, as per above, a modified for single dose (lens hood mod?) Atom / Mignon / 64e or any other grinder with similar burr chamber/chute design. 

I'm not sure that you couldn't say the same for *any* grinder. Fundamentally, they're just a motor and a set of burrs.

• Like 2