IGNORED

What do you have in espresso

As a bit of a purist, when I have an espresso, it has to be just espresso, don’t get me wrong I like a flat white but when dialling in and enjoying that little drink the only way for me is as just espresso. I have heard of some really odd things like double cream in espresso which I just can’t understand.

so whats the concensus, pure or something added?

Edited by coffeechap
  • Like 5

Depends on the bean tbh, but I’d never adulterate an espresso with anything but an occasional small pinch of Demerara, but nothing if I’m dialling in.

I never used to drink a straight espresso till I got into coffee. Prior to that it was always milk based with sugar.
But since I have, it’s always been mainly espresso or a long / short black. (No sugar) so purest, not sure how I got there [emoji3]

• Like 1

I cant have too much milk so it just makes sense to stick to an espresso, sometimes I'll get a flat white or cortado at a coffee shop. We only have oat milk at home and i don't like the taste so more reason to stick to espresso.

Pure all the way and for the same reason that I would never add anything to a pour over (or any other method). I want to appreciate the coffee with all its character. 

• Like 1
Pure all the way and for the same reason that I would never add anything to a pour over (or any other method). I want to appreciate the coffee with all its character. 

Milk hides a multitude of sins [emoji3]
  • Like 2

Milk hides a multitude of sins [emoji3]

Plus I got into the absurd world of coffee when I had 2 children under 5 and I didn’t have time in the morning to do milk[emoji1787]. I’m still not that good at milk.[emoji1787]

Flat whites mainly in my house. I find espresso fascinating however and want to move away from the milk.

I read someone on here describe getting strawberry milkshake vibes in an espresso - that blows my mind a little bit! 

• Like 1
Flat whites mainly in my house. I find espresso fascinating however and want to move away from the milk.
I read someone on here describe getting strawberry milkshake vibes in an espresso - that blows my mind a little bit! 

I can distinctly remember the first “decent” espresso I ever pulled, it was a distinctly intense (and the first time I’d tasted fruit in coffee) and not what I’d preconceived.
It was the very first DSOL July 2014 (a predecessor to the LSOL) that CoffeeChap organised Rave Coffee Cuban Serrano. I seem to remember it was like Black Forest Gateaux.

It blew my mind.
@Coffeechap Dave .....you have a lot to answer for!![emoji3] Not to mention having a hand in pretty much owning most peoples grinders at some point (including my current one[emoji1787]).

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, urbanbumpkin said:

I can distinctly remember the first “decent” espresso I ever pulled, it was a distinctly intense (and the first time I’d tasted fruit in coffee) and not what I’d preconceived.
It was the very first DSOL July 2014 (a predecessor to the LSOL) that CoffeeChap organised Rave Coffee Cuban Serrano. I seem to remember it was like Black Forest Gateaux.

It blew my mind.
@Coffeechap Dave .....you have a lot to answer for!!emoji3.png Not to mention having a hand in pretty much owning most peoples grinders at some point (including my current oneemoji1787.png).

He hasn't had mine yet... although did force it into my hands by selling someone else one of his grinders...

• Like 1
He hasn't had mine yet...

Make sure you have anti snap locks fitted...it’s just a matter of time [emoji1787].

I’m sure 70 % of all used grinders on here were at some point owned or supplied by him. Not to mention levers.
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, urbanbumpkin said:

Make sure you have anti snap locks fitted...it’s just a matter of time emoji1787.png.

I’m sure 70 % of all used grinders on here were at some point owned or supplied by him. Not to mention levers.

Haha, putting them on now mate.

I may have a lever or two not owned by the chap!

• Like 1
  • coffeechap changed the title to What do you have in espresso

Tbh I’m pretty sure once something other sugar is added it’s no longer an espresso by definition.

P.S. @QueenOfCaffine our Italian travels have led me to enjoy a glass of iced water with mine too, Carluccios restaurant chain also serves it like that at his original request.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Akula said:

Coffee bon bon with the condensed milk and espresso on top , to die for

This is a big one for me. There was a cafe near Lisbon called Cafe Saudade where I had this for the first time when I first arrived in a local town. Made sure I stopped off for the same on the way back, too.

I have taken to having the odd proper (non-Starbucks-style) macchiato of late. Partly because I like it, and partly because I use the milk wand to steam my son's milk for his Weetabix and I end up with some froth left over. Yes, that is very hipster/wanky, but you try keeping cereal warm in the ten minutes it takes to change a nappy first thing in the morning! 

• Like 2

The Black Country Coffee Roastery
www.coffeebythecasuals.com - Discount Code: CFUK21
Instagram: @casuals_coffee