IGNORED

Compak E8 dosing ring/hopper

People may be interested in my latest project.

I'm happy with my Compak E8 but don't like the way that coffee grounds get sprayed around, lots of grounds miss the portafilter and end up around the base.

So I made a dosing ring/hopper to sit on the portafilter holder to catch and guide the stray grinds. The ring sits in the taper of the holder, held in place by the spout and a little double sided tape.

The Mk1 version is on the left of the picture but after a little use I thought that I could improve it by making it a little taller and adding a spigot to close the gap between the bottom of the ring and the portafilter. The resulting Mk11 can be seen in place on the holder and on the right of the photograph. The spigot is 54.4mm which is a close fit in the holder and just happens to be the right size to fit the portafilter of my upcoming Vostok.

final.thumb.jpg.5957c1884195d93d4f44919da81ae639.jpgfinal1.thumb.jpg.42665311d8b4148e1692e236319235d5.jpg

I can make more of these if there is any interest.

• Like 1

Ooooow i recognise that portafilter :classic_wink:

9 hours ago, Norvin said:

I can make more of these if there is any interest.

How much bro ?

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

8 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Ooooow i recognise that portafilter :classic_wink:

How much bro ?

Mk11 is still undergoing extensive beta field trials i.e there was a small problem this morning. Because of the reduced gap between the portafilter and bottom of the hopper, if there is a small pyramid of grounds in the basket, grounds get pushed out when the portafilter is removed. I'll try turning the spigot down to increase the gap but that will take away some of it's dual purpose usefulness i.e as a funnel for the grinder and as a removable dosing ring.

As a fellow L1 owner and discworld pedestrian, you can have the MK1 for £10 plus post (didn't you say that you had a relative who is a turner?). The taller rings will be £30 pus post, I'll post a for sale thread if there is any more interest.

Edited by Norvin
nitpicking nomenclature
  • Thanks 1

Cheers bro, yeah one of my brothers is the turner; worked at a place called Hawker Siddely....just waiting for him to get back to me...if he's too busy i'll probably get the MK11 your trialing...no rush at the moment as i have a funnel that works well...yours just look shinier...i like shiny 😎

I'll keep my eyes open on this thread.

• Like 2

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

This is the new MK11a version.

MK11a.thumb.jpg.361814f64467bcdfdf42f2edf2c75bd1.jpg

Although I won't be milling any more as it's too much of a faff for me.

Field trials will resume tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Last update. 

Ring is working fine now. Slight tendency for it to rotate while grinding so a little double sided tape was needed to hold it in place. No plans to do any more modifications.

finalinsitu.thumb.jpg.3f185781f478a4605960913fa492f933.jpg