IGNORED

What does the "Zero" represent?

1 minute ago, Rincewind said:

Can't mate...its was a secret  on another thread ....the search engine on here is your friend....G-IOTA :classic_wink:

That was out ages ago. Can't imagine it being any good at all.

Just now, Rincewind said:

Can't mate...its was a secret  on another thread ....the search engine on here is your friend....G-IOTA :classic_wink:

Ooh thanks. Off I go with a spring in my step, to the search engine and beyond!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cooffe said:

That was out ages ago. Can't imagine it being any good at all.

Looks like it might be a Niche' killer....however YMMV

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

Just now, Cooffe said:

Doubt it. It has too much of a following

Give it time ....£569 + fee's......AND....."RED SPEED burrs"......i see that being a win win win....again YMMV

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

Just now, Rincewind said:

Give it time ....£569 + fee's......AND....."RED SPEED burrs"......i see that being a win win win....again YMMV

I wonder why red burrs are quicker than silver burrs

6 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Certainly looks exciting, thanks for heads up. Shame it's following Niche's toilet based design language, but the top looks much cooler. Glad to see someone else make a quality single dosing machine, given the explosion in coffee popularity and how many people do it, I'm surprised the bigger players haven't all got a cheaper SD machine to market.

• Like 1

@Cooffe Dunno mate....i'm clueless on the burr variances.....i think one is more for filter iirc from what i've read

Edited by Rincewind

1 minute ago, Rincewind said:

Dunno mate....i'm clueless on the burr variances.....i think one is more for filter iirc from what i've read

Yeah, Turkish burrs are for espressos generally. Unsure why these fast red burrs have made an appearance when Turkish burrs exist. 

Edited by Cooffe
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

Shame it's following Niche's toilet based design

Lol...you're brave saying that...i suggest :exit:

3 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Lol...you're brave saying that...i suggest :exit:

Ha, it's very divisive that way isn't it. Some love it and fair play to them. I think they couldn't have come up with much else uglier. Although that wouldn't stop me getting one and it's currently in my tentative plans when I move into my new house (hopefully later in year). That's why I'm so interested in this new SD grinder you mentioned.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

Ha, it's very divisive that way isn't it. Some love it and fair play to them. I think they couldn't have come up with much else uglier.

Each to their own i suppose, but yeah it looks like a  cross between a Tassimo and a baby-bottle-warmer IMO.

4 minutes ago, CocoLoco said:

That's why I'm so interested in this new SD grinder you mentioned.

It does look like it's gonna give the Niche' a run for it's MONEY....and that's good IMO, stops the fanboys putting it on a pedestal....the thing is with things on pedestal's is they have a habit of "falling off" :classic_wink:

Good luck to it! 64mm flat burrs at that price! I don't think there will be much sleep lost at Niche HQ.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

13 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Each to their own i suppose, but yeah it looks like a  cross between a Tassimo and a baby-bottle-warmer IMO.

It does look like it's gonna give the Niche' a run for it's MONEY....and that's good IMO, stops the fanboys putting it on a pedestal....the thing is with things on pedestal's is they have a habit of "falling off" :classic_wink:

They need to widen the bottom a bit then to stop it falling off.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cooffe said:

They need to widen the bottom a bit then to stop it falling off.

Indeed they do....but as sure as eggs is eggs, it's gonna topple....looks like it might be sooner than later.......ah bliss 😍, how i love to watch the mighty fall.

3 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Indeed they do....but as sure as eggs is eggs, it's gonna topple....looks like it might be sooner than later.......ah bliss 😍, how i love to watch the mighty fall.

That's nice.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rincewind said:

Go read about the problems with flat burrs when the hopper is taken off and used for weighing in. You'll find loads of older posts mentioning  it.

Variable speed and flat - Oh dear, If it runs fast say 2,800 rpm with 64mm burrs it probably would warm the grinds up a bit too much according to some, 1400 doesn't but can with 80mm + plus burrs.

Then read about the advantages of big burrs. 64mm is nothing. What 64mm burrs. Take Mazzer the mini has 64mm yet it grinds at a slower rate than their other 64mm speed the same grind different as is the power. Not all burrs of any size are equal.

I checked my Niche this evening, I do every now and again, 16,52g in 16,52g out. It's OK with LSOL and I might be tempted to try 80mm+ burrs for those but 64mm no. Already been there and done that.

:) Is Niche perfect - afraid I would say no.

• Thanks 1

@ajohn Cheers John, i'm aware of most of what you stated ☝️...i spent quite a bit of time doing my homework before joining the forum, it was all helpful info and was taken onboard. I'm not in the market at the moment for a grinder; but always curious as to what's new/upcoming etc. etc......upgradeitus hasn't struck me "yet"....although i'd be very interested in that "Ozik ALL" that may/may-not come to the market.....that would probably get my juices flowing; but then again it might end up being shite....i shall wait.

10 minutes ago, ajohn said:

Is Niche perfect - afraid I would say no.

I'd have to agree 👍

10 hours ago, ajohn said:

:) Is Niche perfect - afraid I would say no

10 hours ago, Rincewind said:

I'd have to agree 👍

The main problem is all things are comparative. Grinders are in some ways a problem for home users. Niche comes closest to being suitable for home use. Many people eventually switch to weighing beans into a grinder. I've used several grinders 2 of them were a SGP and a Mazzer Mini. Both weighing in and plenty of coffee. It didn't take me long to realise why the SGP would hold ~0.1g and some other things it does are rather similar to Niche. Similar could be obtained out of the Mini. Add beans, grind, good puff of  air, brush some out of the grind chamber exit, brush over the burrs, spin up again and maybe use the brush on the exit again. If some sort of cover isn't added bits of bean can be found several feet away from the grinder. The g forces generated in flat burrs  to break up the beans are high. Conical work in an entirely different manner. The Mazzer style grinds funnel is ideal for this sort of use. A spout isn't.

I use a bean that is literally coated with oil. It glistens. That will eventually choke up the SGP weighing in. I have to wipe Niche's bean funnel from time to time so the beans fall in. The Mazzer was OK. The SGP was ok with the hopper on but needed a huge change in grind time as oil built up in it.

Doserless flat burr grinders in general. All have a similar feature. The grinds flow out of the chamber is restricted one way or the other. Might be a grid, a small hole or what is sometimes called a clump crusher. Removing it so that beans can be weighed in has a pretty dramatic effect on the grinder setting for the same ratio. The grind is different - end of. If they are left in grinds are retained in the grinder. Significant quantities in many cases so daily purges are needed.

All grinders. One of the burrs mustn't rotate so the usual ears are added to the carrier. They fit into slots and there is some play. The amount varies and needs to be taken into account when very small adjustments are made. Some are stiff and a long lever is the best way to achieve small adjustments. Some have a worm wheel adjustment. Better. Sage use that internally. Some are stepped - definite adjustments each time they are changed. Step size varies. Niche is smooth and easy to use in this area and no back play I have noticed. ;) Still coarse for me though with one bean I grind at rather low settings but way easier than anything else I have used. Oil on the burrs causes problems with bean changes and going back again. Normal on all I have used. It means near shot to shot fiddling with the setting. Niche produces some light static clumps that aren't worth bothering about. Some produce boulders.

So ;) Niche comes closer to being suitable for home use than others in many ways really.

The comments of one grinder is better in the cup than another. People sometimes pass that comment when a new grinder is received and used straight out of the box. Or wow this one is great etc. It's a bit unusual for any grinder to do it's best at that stage. Taste will change over time as tuning probably will. I know what excess fines taste like. Stronger tasting yes but not as it should taste. I prefer the term different in the cup which in turn means different tuning.

The me toos amuse me as well. Suddenly grind cup use crops up all over the place and weighing in on all sorts as well. The cup clearly adds another variable to consistency. Just about anything done to grinds does.

• Like 1

@ajohn Coffee is totally subjective matey. What is good or bad is largely down to perceived opinion. Science can go so far, like measuring retention but after that it is down to opinion.....and as we all know about opinion, we all have one and we can all be right (at the same time)

The advantage of being a Silver member....

Follow me on Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/dfkidd