IGNORED

Greens Buying Collective

RDC8

Hi All

This is a quick post to float the idea of forming a greens buying collective (or a number of collectives based on other factors such as geographical location). The idea is that we would buy direct from the importers and then organise distribution among ourselves. Would suit small/medium roasters who might be using upwards of 10kg per month (although this is not a requirement). I think we would operate independently of CFUK via email/whatsapp/private FB group or some other platform. Buying direct from importers allows access to specialty-grade green coffee from around £5/kg and upwards (before delivery costs).

If this seems somewhat vague then it's because this is still an early idea and there are no pre-determined ways for operating.

Happy to take queries/thoughts via PM; or in open discussion on the forum

• Like 6

3 hours ago, RDC8 said:

Buying direct from importers allows access to specialty-grade green coffee from around £5/kg and upwards (before delivery costs).

If you can, I would recommend going for 86+ as it's for small amounts..The price from importers will be around £7.00 per Kg and up, but that extra makes a big difference.

• Like 1

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

Absolutely right Dave - thanks for pointing that out. Coffee at the £5 price point is often on the "specials" list; it might be from the previous season, or a lower grade of "specialty". I guess I was making the point to anyone currently paying £9 or more for fairly mediocre coffee and who hasn't seen an offer sheet from an importer. It was certainly a game changer for me to be able to access better quality coffees from the importers without paying silly money to "the middleman".

• Like 2

@RDC8 I always think of it a bit like wine....paying that few quid extra gets you so much more. Otherwise why home roast.

There are risks of course...4 days ago I buggered up a roast, dealing with some stuff on the forum. My attention was diverted for a whole 2m...Just trying a cup of it and it's....aargh horrible. That's about £9 down the drain. I'm just about to throw it all away....well actually that's not true...I have some TiN burrs to season on a test grinder...but it's a very expensive way of seasoning burrs.

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

7 hours ago, RDC8 said:

Hi All

This is a quick post to float the idea of forming a greens buying collective (or a number of collectives based on other factors such as geographical location). The idea is that we would buy direct from the importers and then organise distribution among ourselves. Would suit small/medium roasters who might be using upwards of 10kg per month (although this is not a requirement). I think we would operate independently of CFUK via email/whatsapp/private FB group or some other platform. Buying direct from importers allows access to specialty-grade green coffee from around £5/kg and upwards (before delivery costs).

If this seems somewhat vague then it's because this is still an early idea and there are no pre-determined ways for operating.

Happy to take queries/thoughts via PM; or in open discussion on the forum

Count me in. I’m looking for a sensible priced supply of decent greens. Looking for grade 85-86 and above 

Ah thanks, that makes sense now. So an off forum sub. Sounds a great idea! I'd be interested if someone wanted to do tiny amounts for playing with popcorn makers with! 😊 seems a shame things can't happen here anymore though. I used to love the LSOL banter though I doubt id be able to get any tasting notes at all roasting my own! 

Edited by Missy
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Missy said:

I thought this sort of thing had been stopped here? (Just being nosey I keep umming about trying roasting but 10kg a month is way beyond my range!) 

OP clearly said it wasn't a requirement to have 10kg

2 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

OP clearly said it wasn't a requirement to have 10kg

Yeah but I assume it's likely more aimed at people with proper roasters, I reckon that's just another slippery slope I could end up on! 

Just now, Missy said:

Yeah but I assume it's likely more aimed at people with proper roasters, I reckon that's just another slippery slope I could end up on! 

Assuming that might make others with smaller requirements of greens think it's not for them.....it's a slippery slope, but if a group all have the same beans, it makes it easy to swap roasting notes and advice.

• Like 1

In that case, if super small amounts are a viable possibility I'm interested, I don't see the point in giving it a go with rubbish beans (because I wouldn't drink rubbish from a roaster so why would I like it myself) but I have no idea what I'm doing! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Missy said:

In that case, if super small amounts are a viable possibility I'm interested, I don't see the point in giving it a go with rubbish beans (because I wouldn't drink rubbish from a roaster so why would I like it myself) but I have no idea what I'm doing! 

Missy! Check this out:

I'm going to start building it. It can be easily built, very cheaply, and the blower can be used to blow the leaves away in the autumn. 

I also bought 3kg from another forum member here. I've tried in a breadmaker+heatgun and it wasn't bad at all. Dare I say, sadly, it tasted better than anything I had with the Gene Cafe before. I reckon what killed it for me was the fact I was never able to hear first crack on the Gene Cafe.

I've been thinking of a Behmor (now that they are allowed in the UK/EU after passing regulations), but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. So decided on that little project instead until I make my mind up. 

@RDC8 - I'll be defo interested in this. Don't know when yet, but very keen. 

Other members which might be interested, mentioning them just in case: @Beeroclock, @Rob1, @PhilDawes.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Just now, MediumRoastSteam said:

Missy! Check this out:

I'm going to start building it. It can be easily built, very cheaply, and the blower can be used to blow the leaves away in the autumn. 

I also bought 3kg from another forum member here. I've tried in a breadmaker+heatgun and it wasn't bad at all. Dare I say, sadly, it tasted better than anything I had with the Gene Cafe before. I reckon what killed it for me was the fact I was never able to hear first crack on the Gene Cafe.

I've been thinking of a Behmor (now that they are allowed in the UK/EU after passing regulations), but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. So decided on that little project instead until I make my mind up. 

@RDC8 - I'll be defo interested in this. Don't know when yet, but very keen. 

Other members which might be interested, mentioning them just in case. 

I read that thread and the link last week, but didn't understand it at all, which I think puts it beyond me. 

I understand where you are coming from; one of the reasons I tentatively suggested we could/should be doing this off-forum.

Not sure the concept is to promote a green bean deal as such, buying direct from the importers seems to be available to anyone who wishes to open an account - provided you want to splash out on 35/59/69 kilo bags at a time. This post was to see if there is sufficient interest in forming a group to achieve the quantities required, on a (semi) regular basis, to make the bulk-buying worthwhile.

However, given the decisions taken last weekend, I would understand if the admins/mods feel this thread should also be taken down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Missy said:

I'd be interested if someone wanted to do tiny amounts

Your interest is noted @Missy :) 

I'll let this run for another day or so to see who else might be interested, then we take it a step further.

46 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I'll be defo interested in this

Noted @MediumRoastSteam :) 

53 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I've been thinking of a Behmor

I would  definitely recommend a Behmor, it's how I started (the second generation model, not the first). Super easy to use, but also gives  room for some experimentation. Gives great results! Although to be fair, it behaves quite differently to a commercial-style drum roaster (to begin with, the temperature probes are nowhere near the bean mass!), so if you catch upgraditus there will be another learning curve to over-come. However, there is a lot more choice now in the home-roaster space compared to a few years back; other roasters are available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PhilDawes said:

How would distributing small lots work after the large batch has arrived in the uk

Now this is the $64k question! Much will depend on who is interested in how we collectively decide to operate. In the past, I have split a few consignments with a fellow roaster who regularly (and in accordance with current legal requirements!) drives past my location; he also takes beans to a network of other roasters in his part of the country - so that's an example of working together to get the beans distributed. Courier/postage is another option at the buyers cost. I know of another collective where a member lives close to the UK warehouse and can pick-up from there at no delivery cost. Other members then pay the cost of courier/mail to get their consignments sent out. It really comes down to finding a cost-effective solution to meet everyone's needs