IGNORED

Eureka Helios 80

Question

Bought one of these monsters and I may have made a mistake! My goodness it is massive and grinds 22g in around 2 seconds!

My problem is that when I rotate the grind knob, the grind size does not change. I contacted the reseller who said that every time I adjust the knob, I need to grind 100 - 200g of beans before the grind size changes. He said that is normal with a commercial grinder (I did not realize it was a commercial grinder when I bought it) and that was even more so with the Helios 80 because it is lightning fast.

That means I could easily grind say 300g to 600g of beans if I am trying to dial in a new batch of coffee, say taking three attempts with my espresso machine to determine the optimal grind size.

Does anyone have any experience with a Helios 80 that can offer advice please?

Best, Tom.

6 answers to this question

Thanks everyone. The reseller was OTT apparently. Got a response from Eureka (very good customer service) who said that 20 - 30g would be enough. So around 2 - 3 seconds. I have put the machine in with a trusted service repairer to see if he can figure out why the grind size did not change when I adjusted the knob. Watch this space! It may simply be that somewhere on the journey from the UK to Australia it got dropped or whatever. I'll come back and update once I get the machine back, for those who may be curious. I will be selling the machine however because it is really a commercial grinder. I've never see a grinder spit out coffee so fast! 80mm burrs, I guess that's what does it.

I would expect to see a change in the next shot although that will be a mixture of grind sizes due to retention. The following shot should be all the new setting. 100-200g is a little silly to be honest. Never heard anything like that before!

• Like 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Bezzera machines back in stock!

Sounds like the seller is making it up. Even at commercial prices, coffee shops won't be chucking 100g of coffee away after every grind change. I have a Mythos and whenever I change the setting I either pure a shots worth or simply use it in a milk drink which hides any horrors of a bad grind up to a point.

31 minutes ago, tompoland said:

Bought one of these monsters and I may have made a mistake! My goodness it is massive and grinds 22g in around 2 seconds!

My problem is that when I rotate the grind knob, the grind size does not change. I contacted the reseller who said that every time I adjust the knob, I need to grind 100 - 200g of beans before the grind size changes. He said that is normal with a commercial grinder (I did not realize it was a commercial grinder when I bought it) and that was even more so with the Helios 80 because it is lightning fast.

That means I could easily grind say 300g to 600g of beans if I am trying to dial in a new batch of coffee, say taking three attempts with my espresso machine to determine the optimal grind size.

Does anyone have any experience with a Helios 80 that can offer advice please?

Best, Tom.

100-200 g will not be an accurate range of Retention . 

I am guessing but even 10 g sounds a lot for a flat burr grinder of this type. But if you wanted to be sage then purge one shot 

I am guessing you are experiencing changes in shot times shot to shot ?

Are you weighing your dose to 0.1g 

What basket and tamper are you using 

Who is the retailer. 

Edited by Mrboots2u

Update: service repairer found no issue with the grinder other than a bean stuck in the burrs. All working fine now and retention is around 4g. Thanks to all for your advice.