Coffee Forums banner

New Lelit Elizabeth - steam stuck on

6K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  DavecUK 
#1 Ā·
Just received a brand new Lelit Elizabeth. Filled it with water and fired it up. Temp reaches 95 and steam starts to come out of the steam wand. Can't find any way to turn that off. Steam knob on the right does nothing. Appears to just be spinning around its shaft without actually doing anything to regulate the steam. Any ideas?

#3 Ā·
Just did that. Pushed in fully. No luck. Still doesn't do anything. Just seems to be spinning.

When I let the machine cool down, and took the knob off, I could see there was a flat point on the shaft. Hole in the knob has square bottom. But also a small metal bar opposite. Seems to fit best with D part of shaft aligning with flat bit of knob, and the metal bar part contacting the circular part of the shaft. But shaft won't turn. Can't get it to turn manually with knob off. Not sure how much resistance this should have. Certainly can't turn it with my fingers. And don't want to try pliers.

I am assuming this is knackered and machine needs replaced.

#6 Ā·
Yes - the knob should really only go on one way to fit the profile of the D shaft and grip the flat bit.

Have contacted the retailer. Assume they will get back to me tomorrow. Annoying - was looking forward to some coffee.

Thanks for your help.

#7 Ā·
Managed to fix it. At least to the point of getting the steam to go off. Machine needed to really cool down completely - less expansion - before the knob fitted on correctly to the point where it does turn the shaft. Will try later to make sure it works OK when back up to temperature.

#10 Ā·
My steam knob has just done the same thing! I've only had the machine 5 weeks and this morning I made a coffee, turned the steam on and it wouldn't turn off. Perhaps it is a problem with the Elizabeth, has anyone else experienced it? The knob does feel rather flimsy compared to the rest of the machine. I'm contacting the retailer on Monday hopefully they will be able to sort it out for me although I'll be sad to post it back for a repair as it makes great coffee

#12 Ā·
Thanks @DaveC that's really helpful. I've had a go at shoving it back on, but it won't budge. I've measured the inside of the knob and compared this with the length of shank available and I think it's all the way in, it's just not gripping tight enough to get enough purchase to turn it (or it's jammed). Looking at the pictures it's not on as far as yours is! Do you know of a different knob I could purchase that would fit? Is it a standard size?

Tool Wood Machine tool Gas Household hardware

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Electrical wiring Coil

Attachments

#15 Ā·
Thank you @DavecUK and @MediumRoastSteam I've attached a picture of the inside of the knob, it's ok I think. The knob rotates, but the shank does not, it is slipping around. I wasn't opening the steamer particularly vigorously and it didn't feel like it locked open. Slightly nervous about trying the pliers - can I damage the machine by doing it or is it pretty safe?

Finger Gas Circle Rim Auto part

Attachments

#16 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
Check with the retailer, to see if they are OK with you trying to free it up using pliers...if they are you have nothing to loose. Just be careful not to scratch the case.

The worrying bit is the knob rotating but the shaft not moving....that's not right, and I hope the inside of the knob has not been rounded out.. I can't see deep inside as it's not square on, but it looks like it might be OK. As steam valves should only ever be closed gently and never opened completely...you should be OK....unless of course the valve has a fault.

P.S If the shaft moves really easily with pliers...then the knob probably wasn't pushed in all the way

#17 Ā·
@Priscilla - if you want to rule out the knob being damaged, check a few posts around this thread:

https://www.coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/53045-new-upgraded-lelit-on-the-block-elizabeth/?do=embed&comment=786098&embedComment=786098&embedDo=findComment

you can try a different know and see how it goes. They don't cost a great deal.

I'm extremely gentle with the steam knob on my machine. I close it very gently, and I never open all the way (I.e.: go all the way gently and then back 1/4 turn - and then remember roughly where the position is).

#19 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you @MediumRoastSteam and @DavecUK, I called my seller who suggested the pliers but the shaft wouldn't budge. I've sent it back today for repairs and am interested to hear what the problem is. I'm going to try and find a new knob anyhow as the current one feels a bit plastic - I wish they did a walnut upgrade kit for the Elizabeth it would look great with a new steam knob and handle on the portafilter..... I will update you with more information when I have it. The machine should arrive with them by lunchtime tomorrow

#20 Ā·
Thank you @MediumRoastSteam and @DavecUK, I called my seller who suggested the pliers but the shaft wouldn't budge. I've sent it back today for repairs and am interested to hear what the problem is. I'm going to try and find a new knob anyhow as the current one feels a bit plastic - I wish they did a walnut upgrade kit for the Elizabeth it would look great with a new steam knob and handle on the portafilter.....
I also dislike the knob....I have searched for one, the problem is the shaft doesn't come out so far and a universal knob with a grub screw, would easily engage. A sort of metal finish 80s hi fi knob would look great. Lelit know I don't like it and I think they said they would look at it...but along came covid. I'm going to have another look at it...but I wasn't able to find an easily purchasable DIY solution.

#23 Ā·
Hi @JahLaza apparently the knob was turned on too vigorously which was strange as I hadn't used much force. The retailer sent it back working. The pump was apparently vibrating too much so they fixed that at the same time. Haven't had any problem with it since (apart from the magnet in the water tank sticking on return but this was sorted easily over the phone with the retailer).

#24 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
@Priscilla one tip...with steam knobs, I have often noticed people simply open them all the way...either gently or not gently, I never felt this was a good idea. Certainly, the steam doesn't seem to increase. I always open a steam knob 1/2 a turn or 1 turn, unless I think it's significantly restricting steaming, usually they are not.

My thinking is the machining of these things at the extreme of operation isn't always the same, and it may well push any seals up against an internal edge. All at steam temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.