IGNORED

I'm Finding Freshly Roasted Beans Too Weird

OK, I appreciate this is probably not the place to be saying this, and I hope this doesn't come across as rude.

I like better quality, interesting food and booze.
Of particular relevance is my love of fruity, hoppy IPA, bitter-sweet negronis, and the hot lash of a vindaloo.
I happily make sourdough & my own bacon & smoke meat for 10 hours so know of effort & learning to get better results.
I remember my dad saying "Don't you have any beer that tastes like beer".

I've always loved a good coffee, so when my DeLonghi B2C died  the upgrade to a proper grinder and espresso machine seemed just my thing.
Obviously I followed the advice and got freshly roasted beans.

After some skirmishing, I am now pulling 17g/40g in 26 seconds. 
But I'm still not wild about the coffee.

A kg of Clifton Suspension has given my the scope to get dialed in, but there is no way it is better than what I was drinking with Lavassa & the Delonghi.
Most of the Rave (and the Bella Barista espresso blend) went down the drain.
Not just me, rest of the family didn't like it. 
"Why can't we have coffee that tastes like coffee? This is weird" we're all saying.

I know this is against the spirit of the forum, but can anyone recommend nice coffee that tastes like coffee?
I have never bought a coffee (from the many coffee shops in Aberystwyth) and had anything that tastes like the Freshly Ground we've been having.
Are people like, say, Union more Normal?

Am I the only person to ask this? Do I just not really like coffee?

What Rave did you try ?

YOu are looking for something from coffee compass I suspect one of their medium to dark blends or single origins , look for Brazilian or blends with a Brazil base.  But some of the Rave blends Italian Job etc are not exactly on the light side. 

As an aside have you tried any ratios that are not 1;2 over different time frames. 

I like fruity coffee but cant drink a hoppy IPA , it is horses for courses

Other than that go back to Lavazza perhaps or admit you are turning into your dad :)

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1

Perhaps you’re more a fan of the Robusta type beans which generally less sweet, are usually stronger in caffeine, and more harsh. Lavazza I believe use quite a high amount of robusta in their coffee, i think most Italian blends do. 

23 minutes ago, Chris_on_caffeine said:

How fresh are we talking here? Beans need time to rest, ideally 2 weeks.

Interesting!
I've been looking at this, and keep seeing "4-14 days is ideal, particularly for darker roasts"
I wonder if I am going in too soon, and a fortnight of further ageing might make them more coffee-like, less weird.
The Clifton has been the best so far, so maybe I should order another kilo now to have them slightly older next.

Just now, antinwales said:

Interesting!
I've been looking at this, and keep seeing "4-14 days is ideal, particularly for darker roasts"
I wonder if I am going in too soon, and a fortnight of further ageing might make them more coffee-like, less weird.
The Clifton has been the best so far, so maybe I should order another kilo now to have them slightly older next.

24 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Other than that go back to Lavazza perhaps or admit you are turning into your dad :)

We're all turning into our dads. God's joke, innit.

I tried the darker Raves. I still have a little of one of them, might leave it another week and give it another crack.

Just now, antinwales said:

We're all turning into our dads. God's joke, innit.

I tried the darker Raves. I still have a little of one of them, might leave it another week and give it another crack.

Darker roasts can be better at shorter ratios 1:6 to 1:2

Are you stuck on 1;2 or have you tried longer and shorter 

It isn't against the spirit of the forum in the slightest imo. Coffee is super varied just like wines, beers and cheese. You just need to track down one that you like.

Given that you enjoyed Lavazza I would say your preference is going to be for the darker roasted, Italian style coffee. We have recently launched a new blend that might be of interest to you - Twilight Blend

Coffee Compass are also very highly regarded for their dark roasts.

But hey if it turns out you still like Lavazza, Kimbo, Maromas etc then just drink that. It'll be better in your espresso machine that it ever was by bean to cup.

• Like 3

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Bezzera machines back in stock!

5 minutes ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

We have recently launched a new blend that might be of interest to you - Twilight Blend

Thanks @BlackCatCoffee - That Twilight Blend sounds the thing, so I've ordered that and your choc & your House. I might leave them 12 days.

Your notes on the Twilight recommends a brew temperature of 90C.
I know enough about BBQs and ovens to know that my PID wouldn't agree with your PID, but I'm setting 94C. Too hot? 90C better?

I'm going to check this one out too, sounds good! I do like a bit of DSOL!

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 hours ago, antinwales said:

That for a change departs from coffee folklore but I would suggest you try other ratios including the 2 and even maybe past 3. Maybe time some what longer and beans can change surprisingly with shorter. However you do seem to have started where some find the answer usually is.

The coffee though. Tricky. One name for what you are drinking is gourmet coffee - not the usual stuff. The usual stuff will generally be a blend designed to produce a coffee taste - even freeze dried. Gourmet might be replaced with the word exotic. They are picked to provide specific flavours and having some that don't relate to traditional coffee tastes isn't unusual. In fact I would say the majority don't. The beans will usually be arabica types. Retail blends may have robusta in them. Dismissed by some completely because of that which can just be a form of snobbery really writing it off having never discovered it's possibilities.

You may be better off with a blend but which one is tricky as you probably wont see taste description that says coffee. I found a blend ages ago that was described as suitable for commercial use. It was ok but I noticed a sewer type smell on my breath after drinking it. ;) Not sure what bean in it gave that. Asking a roaster what they do supply to commerce might help.

Lavazza. When I bought my first machine we had some and also bought a couple from supermarkets. One we liked french press was awful out of an espresso machine another better. I don't think these beans are really intended to be used in an espresso machine. They do produce a range that is. They keep well too.

https://www.lavazza.co.uk/en/business/ristoranti/coffee.html

One I like has become rather expensive Pien Aroma 100% arabica. More like fresh roasted in terms of ratio. The other 100% arabica didn't come anywhere near alive until the ratio got over 4 and IMHO not much good anyway. Others may need that as a commercial double might be based on 14 in  and 60 out. Time is usually 30sec but some always go longer.

If you fancy trying something I like but easier to use maybe this one. Sounds like it might suite but no guarantee.

https://monsoonestates.co.uk/collections/coffee/products/the-bloke

Best mention that their monsooned really is oily beware. ;) I like it and can handle it.

Edited by ajohn
  • Thanks 1
OK, I appreciate this is probably not the place to be saying this, and I hope this doesn't come across as rude.
Of particular relevance is my love of fruity, hoppy IPA, bitter-sweet negronis, and the hot lash of a vindaloo.
I happily make sourdough & my own bacon & smoke meat for 10 hours so know of effort & learning to get better results.
I've always loved a good coffee, so when my DeLonghi B2C died  the upgrade to a proper grinder and espresso machine seemed just my thing.
A kg of Clifton Suspension has given my the scope to get dialed in, but there is no way it is better than what I was drinking with Lavassa & the Delonghi.
"Why can't we have coffee that tastes like coffee? This is weird" we're all saying.
I know this is against the spirit of the forum, but can anyone recommend nice coffee that tastes like coffee?
I have never bought a coffee (from the many coffee shops in Aberystwyth) and had anything that tastes like the Freshly Ground we've been having.
Coffee compass - Brighton Lanes
  • Like 1

Sounds like the beans are not rested. I find espresso need a minimum of 10 days, but really comes to life after 2-3 weeks. 

Yes, it can be hard waiting that long! It pays off though. You'll also probably enjoy darker stuff - I've also got a bag of twilight resting from black cat and I'm quite excited about it. 

I use a cafelat robot so I don't need to worry about temperature - it drops quite happily to about 88-91 degrees for extraction without a preheat. 

On 16/02/2021 at 15:00, antinwales said:

When you say weird, is this a dialing in problem? The sour, the sharpness, the bitter? 

Just trying to establish what you think is weird lol. 

What do you expect from a coffee? 

I keep getting very crazy sour or very bitter flavours, bitter is what I expect as a burnt coffee/ instant thing. I love coffee flavoured cakes, puddings, sweets etc but coffee never seems to taste the same 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, antinwales said:

@Tinkstar Having left the Clifton Suspension longer, it's now less weird.

I'm not sure what I expected, and I'm not sure I'm there yet, but I'm definitely getting closer to what I was after.

I'll feedback more when I've drunk more.

Are you getting any 'flavours' from the flavours 'on the bag'? 

I have had smooth, enjoyable, no flavours or notes as described 🤷‍♂️