IGNORED

Brew times, using Vesuvius.

17 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Excellent video. It is about Vostok 1 gr right? Link here:

I believe the Vesuvius is being sold with a profile that mimics Lever machine profile, short infusion and a jump to almost 10.5 bars before it slowly drops as time goes. This profile produces incredible sweet shots. My wife was very surprised first time I made her a coffee using it.

Nothing succeeds as planned.

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

1 hour ago, John Yossarian said:

1. Excellent video. It is about Vostok 1 gr right? Link here:

2. I believe the Vesuvius is being sold with a profile that mimics Lever machine profile, short infusion and a jump to almost 10.5 bars before it slowly drops as time goes. This profile produces incredible sweet shots. My wife was very surprised first time I made her a coffee using it.

1. Watching the manometer in the last portion of the video is what will give a good idea of the type of profile and how to mimic it. It's one of the reasons I set my pump acceleration slower, to try and come closer to that smooth gradual transition in pressure that a lever produces.

2. It is, the basic supplied profile on the Vesuvius tries to Mimic the profile of a professionally configured commercial spring Lever group. The view in ACS was that was one of the best spring lever groups out there...it's certainly more expensive to buy. ACS use both the Fiorenzato and La San Marco groups, but in a dual spring configuration and have considerable experience with levers. yes, the shots can be very sweet.

My general findings over the years has been overly long shots or high pressure preinfusion (much above 3 bar)that goes on for too long results in some bitterness. I suspect this is partly due to having to grind very fine. I've found that about 10 seconds, or a little less, plus shot times that don't go on too long seem to give the best results.

• Like 2

Nothing here...

@rogher I think so yes...I have always made the point that the 9 bar on pumped machines was trying to average out the pressures.

Here is something that's not well known because people tend to make up their own minds....and it doesn't matter what you say some people  won't be convinced. Back in the day, some almost 17 years ago, I fell in love with the Izzo Pompeii spring lever and specifically the La San Marco group it used. I tried to persuade them to make a 1 group that was suitable for the home, but they wouldn't do it. They did make a 1 group, but it was just too massive. They had little interest in the home market, especially for lever machines. There were a few concerns about the proper setup for the group, typical mounting height in a domestic setting, tipping etc.. and of course sales volumes.

Later I saw ACS had the Ventus, but it used the Fiorenzato group and was really designed for a small cafe, was large and had to be plumbed again not for me. Then the Vostok appeared, so 5 years ago now and Immediately I was in love again. It had the right group, the right sort of technology but was mains water fed and again far too large. I started pestering ACS then to make a 1 group version with an internal tank, dual boilers, etc.. that was small enough to fit on the counter.....The shape of the Vostok case didn't scale down correctly....3 years on, I got fed up waiting, realised that all the work on 2 machines..Minima and Vesuvius, made the dream possible and roughed out something.

So yes, that profile on the V attempts to mimic as far as possible a La San Marco spring lever group, which is I personally consider to be the best lever group around.

P.S. yes, I've always loved levers, used quite a few and even reviewed some....however none of the prosumer spring levers were doing it for me over the years.

• Like 1

Nothing here...

43 minutes ago, rogher said:

My machine came with [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], then [email protected] on P1.

I assume that is the lever profile you refer to?

All the other pressure profiles were a somewhat less inspiring [email protected], [email protected], then [email protected]

This is the exact profile I have got too.

• Like 2

ACS Vesuvius, Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

5 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

@rogher I think so yes...I have always made the point that the 9 bar on pumped machines was trying to average out the pressures.

Here is something that's not well known because people tend to make up their own minds....and it doesn't matter what you say some people  won't be convinced. Back in the day, some almost 17 years ago, I fell in love with the Izzo Pompeii spring lever and specifically the La San Marco group it used. I tried to persuade them to make a 1 group that was suitable for the home, but they wouldn't do it. They did make a 1 group, but it was just too massive. They had little interest in the home market, especially for lever machines. There were a few concerns about the proper setup for the group, typical mounting height in a domestic setting, tipping etc.. and of course sales volumes.

Later I saw ACS had the Ventus, but it used the Fiorenzato group and was really designed for a small cafe, was large and had to be plumbed again not for me. Then the Vostok appeared, so 5 years ago now and Immediately I was in love again. It had the right group, the right sort of technology but was mains water fed and again far too large. I started pestering ACS then to make a 1 group version with an internal tank, dual boilers, etc.. that was small enough to fit on the counter.....The shape of the Vostok case didn't scale down correctly....3 years on, I got fed up waiting, realised that all the work on 2 machines..Minima and Vesuvius, made the dream possible and roughed out something.

So yes, that profile on the V attempts to mimic as far as possible a La San Marco spring lever group, which is I personally consider to be the best lever group around.

P.S. yes, I've always loved levers, used quite a few and even reviewed some....however none of the prosumer spring levers were doing it for me over the years.

@DavecUK As the saying goes "old love never dies" and this is an excellent example from which the CFUK members will benefit. The Vostok story and your perseverance would be the example for any business to follow.

For sellers of ACS equipment, especially Vesuvius, I am surprised that they have not used the P1 (profile) as USP (unique selling point), to be able to mimic at home the best La San Marco spring lever group is a massive advert.

• Like 2