IGNORED

From Expobar Leva to ??????

Hi guys, I am looking for a bit of help with upgraditus

I have had an Expobar Leva for about 6/7 years now, bought from Bella Barista and you lovely people helped me pick it. I have bought a new house that needs renovating so i am looking to upgrade when I move in. I have my eye set on La Marzocco Linea Mini at the minute but I would like any info on some similar machines. I do like the black version of the Linea and I know I am probably paying the extra for the name but I am open to alternatives that have a water reservoir.

Also at the same time 6/7 years ago I bought a Mazzer Super Jolly off Ebay (which came in a state) but I cleaned it up and installed new burrs so I will be upgrading this as well. I have my heart set on the Mahlkonig e65s - I love the style of this and being Mahlkonig I know it's going to produce good grinds.

Any help at all is appreciated 😀 - I do have some saving to do haha. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benanderson18 said:

...i have my eye set on La Marzocco Linea Mini...

Hi Ben, i too looked at the "Mini" quite a few moons ago...this is a fine looking machine indeed...however there was one thing that put me off completely; that being the "paddle" isn't a true paddle per se....it looks like a paddle; but in reality it's just a plain "on/off" switch i.e. there is no "control/variability". At that price this was disappointing and as such i passed it by....it can be modified to act as a proper-paddle-lever but this isn't for the faint-hearted (or those lacking the skills/knowledge); there is a guy in Australia that modifies these (brilliant if you live down-under).

If the paddle isn't an issue for you then yeah go for it...i wish you all the best with it if you do decide to purchase it :classic_smile:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Hi Ben, i too looked at the "Mini" quite a few moons ago...this is a fine looking machine indeed...however there was one thing that put me off completely; that being the "paddle" isn't a true paddle per se....it looks like a paddle; but in reality it's just a plain "on/off" switch i.e. there is no "control/variability". At that price this was disappointing and as such i passed it by....it can be modified to act as a proper-paddle-lever but this isn't for the faint-hearted (or those lacking the skills/knowledge); there is a guy in Australia that modifies these (brilliant if you live down-under).

If the paddle isn't an issue for you then yeah go for it...i wish you all the best with it if you do decide to purchase it :classic_smile:

Thanks Ricewind, this would not bother me. I have read negative reviews because of this issue. The easier the better to be honest, The lever on the Expobar is probably the same, kind of like an on/off switch. 

What benefits would a real paddle lever have over the one that comes with the machine?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, benanderson18 said:

...What benefits would a real paddle lever have over the one that comes with the machine?...

r.e. benefits :- I couldn't say/don't have a clue matey, i've not studied it enough to give an exact opinion....i just read that the "Mini's" paddle doesn't act like a flow-control/ramping-pre infusion paddle like it's MP bigger brother does. I'd really love a GS3 but it's just beyond my budget at the moment; i couldn't settle for the Mini knowing it's paddle wasn't doing (without modification) what one would expect/assume it's meant to be doing (based on what the MP does with it's paddle).

But yeah "less" should make it easier to use.

Edited by Rincewind
  • Like 1