IGNORED

JAMES HOFFMAN

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't agree with the social media=bad angle, he's clearly making videos as a hobby he enjoys, and he very seems to actively avoid conflicts with his business or projects he worked on, or at least is

For what it is worth I feel as if JH has done a great deak for the industry and I enjoy his videos a lot. I learn new things from them regularly too. Nobody bar the odd few industry folks really

Before this topic is closed down I would like to put in my two penneth. None of us know or can second guess what is in another persons mind or his motives for his actions, nobody is completely transpa

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, The Systemic Kid said:

Did he explain why though?

He did. Can't remember what he said though exactly. It's in one of the long videos where he's doing the Rao blooming espresso over zoom and someone spots the eg1 in the background.

19 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

He did. Can't remember what he said though exactly. It's in one of the long videos where he's doing the Rao blooming espresso over zoom and someone spots the eg1 in the background.

Third comment down...

I'd never heard of coffee before watching his videos.

But seriously, he has some good content. Not that I watch all of his uploads.

Surprised to read some people dislike him and his content but still watch his videos.

@Rob1

You could argue that he was finding excused to not like that grinder, most of what he said was easily sorted. 

Like grind into a cup not the pf, add a spritz of water for static 

My main concer which was a feature of 4 of the grinders was the variable rpm. Its just not needed 

I can liken this to reefing, marine fish more over coral 

Back in the day they were lit by one type of light, a very powerful bulb. 

Then the led came along and changed everything. We could now program lights, make they do any colour spectrum we wanted, and do you know what we learnt? 

That the best way to grow them was to mimic the old buld. 

I think as enthusiasts, we inheritly want to prat, the more option of there are the more we will. And he hit it on the head, it just needs to be reliable, thats what the niche is. 

Old adage keep it simple stupid

Way too early for this sh...

On 02/02/2021 at 20:50, coffeechap said:

I also liked that the niche was discussed as so many folk want to compare that with a really expensive grinders and the fact that he put into perspective was great.

Although I don't doubt they are excellent grinders and for sure each one of them must be better than the Niche... So I was a little surprised and sceptical to read this. It's possible that schomer and his customers like the same kind of espresso as me? perhaps the Niche isn't so much of a "poor" cousin

https://www.home-barista.com/grinders/niche-zero-grinder-t48287-2670.html#p771826

So I did some digging...to my mind this has to be Espresso Vivace taking the piss.... 🤣

sdsno84gcs861.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

Amazing .......I reckoned that quite a few proper cafes used Niche for decaf, but for me the workflow would make normal use just to difficult. Presumably they must grind onto scales for dose accuracy. I think a few of us ought to have a diy go at this mod. Whether you like it or not, the Niche has been one of the biggest recent success stories in the global coffee scene and it really ought to be sitting on a pedestal. Can anyone else think of a better success story? And best of all, after a couple of years the price has not altered yet it has been improved with the NFC disk and they still sell out with every tranche released.......WELL DONE NICHE, I say!

• Like 4

1808484491_dfk41toffee2.JPG.78120b8fa5b4a1ac62bd0d035cf72d1f.JPG

Doesn't adding a hopper to a SINGLE dose grinder kinda negate the point 😂😂😂😂 a grinder thats sole purpose was to be used for single dosing 😛 

talking mr. mackey GIF by South Park

13 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

Doesn't adding a hopper to a SINGLE dose grinder kinda negate the point 😂😂😂😂 a grinder thats sole purpose was to be used for single dosing 😛 

talking mr. mackey GIF by South Park

As opposed to single dosing a on demand grinder that’s meant to run with a hopper ? 

It is on topic. 

Were talking about how the niche is better than 15k worth lf grinders 

Edited by Cuprajake

On 02/02/2021 at 23:02, MWJB said:

First point - so why any figures? He clearly was insinuating a grading/standard based on dose consistency.

Second point - difference is great, choice is great, diversity is great - but he deals with cup scores every day. On the basis of his review only 1 grinder 'worked'. An 85% Colombian is equal to an 85% Rwandan, yet they can be very different. If they're 70% when brewed as typical espresso, something is deeply wrong.

Third point - if he was just giving a opinion, there would be no scores, no dose consistency. What kind of review was he trying to do, if it has absolutely no utility? 

He appears to be coming at this bringing his professional experience to bear...but then, he does a review where some things appear bizarrely awesome & others 'meh'? 

The kind of review he was doing was a quick look at coffee exotica, almost certainly aimed largely at those never likely to buy any of them. Who buys £3000 grinders? Either those with an absolute osession to the best (and fairly deep pockets) or those for whom that kind of price tag is immaterial. I doubt the latter would be watching grinder reviews on Youtube, and I doubt the former would be relying on a 10 ti 15 minute review of each grinder, and a 25 minute shootout.

Who would watch it? People like forum members here, most of whom are serious enthusiasts but aren't ever likely to pay that sort of money for a grinder because life puts too many other demands on the averae person's finances. The few here that might be serious about buying that kind of grinder aren't likely to base their decsion on a few minutes on Youtube.

He pointed out, quite clearly, that all those grinders were clustered right in the very high end of extremely good, that the differences between them were very small. He described his opinion of the shots they produced, and also pointed out that it wasn't about the shots. if he was doing that kind of review, it would have had to include a much wider variety of shots of different coffees, different roasts, different brewing methods even, and that wasn't what he was doing. It was more like a Clarkson & Co Top Gear comparison of three exotic supercars - a look for those never likely to seriously own such cars, very likely never drive them either, at what money-no-object looks like. He was giving a Quick Look at grinder exotica. Not a scientific review of the shots he did. Why give numbers at all? I don't know. Maybe to emphasise just how close they were. Why don't you email him and ask if it bothers you. Or, if you don't like his reviews, just don't watch them. Or, riase the money, buy the grinders yourself and do a review the way you want it done.

• Like 5