IGNORED

JAMES HOFFMAN

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't agree with the social media=bad angle, he's clearly making videos as a hobby he enjoys, and he very seems to actively avoid conflicts with his business or projects he worked on, or at least is

For what it is worth I feel as if JH has done a great deak for the industry and I enjoy his videos a lot. I learn new things from them regularly too. Nobody bar the odd few industry folks really

Before this topic is closed down I would like to put in my two penneth. None of us know or can second guess what is in another persons mind or his motives for his actions, nobody is completely transpa

Posted Images

I like his manner and enjoy the videos about the wider subject of coffee, not keen on the gear reviews & perpetuating of minority, unsubstantiated theories & mythology like "unimodal espresso" grind from typical burr grinders.

• Like 3

His video of the Europiccola was my first proper "intro" to the lever machines, and there were so many coffee terms I had never heard about :) He seems knowledge and provides a balanced critique, but as hysaf has said, in the end it's one person's opinion.

• Like 1

My opinion, as a person who basically started this rabbit hole a few weeks ago and was instantly drawn to his video, is that he definitely makes high quality content (well shot, well narrated). At times it can be a bit painful, as he seems to go round in circles without taking a position. Which in a sense it's good, since he looks at things from many angles, but it also means that he rarely gives strong opinions. 

• Like 1

I’m neutral on this subject, but recognise he is the coffee equivalent of an ‘influencer’.

I don’t believe it is fair to be negative about other influencers, in say beauty or fashion, but consume his content thinking it is somehow different.

9 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

He has a very unique and distinctive style....very non-committal....i love him...i hate him....i can't get enough of him 🙌

Ditto. I'd say he's more of a MKBHD of coffee (albeit with a bit more industry knowledge/experience) rather than David Attenborough. I religiously watch all of his stuff anyway.

• Like 1

Hoffman was a big influence on getting me into coffee. He's not just 'another man'. The guy has been world barista champion as well as setting up SM so he has a lot of knowledge and experience of not just coffee but the entire industry. 

Moreover, I find his videos entertaining. This is a new age of social media, vlogging, youtubing etc. Coffee isn't a 50+ game anymore, there's a completely new audience. I didn't even know there was anything other than nescafe's instant shite until my late 20's. Had Youtube been trending 10 years earlier, I have no doubt I'd have got into in my late teens/early 20's. Personally I feel he's played a big role getting a new audience into coffee. 

• Like 4

He's very articulate, relaxed in front of the camera, extremely knowledgeable & passionate about his subject and I imagine he has worked incredibly hard and taken a lot of risks to get where he is.  Added to this he has a very  influential voice in the coffee industry & he doesn't  an ego. I really like him.

• Like 4

He is an influencer who looks to raise his social media profile in any way that he can......he is an ex world barista champion.......if people enjoy his stuff that is fine but for me, whilst a lot of stuff he says is correct and entertaining, a lot is garbage of the highest order

• Like 2

1808484491_dfk41toffee2.JPG.78120b8fa5b4a1ac62bd0d035cf72d1f.JPG

24 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

im terms of squaremile, i had redbrick and couldn't get anything out of it

Likewise. I believe a brand/blend created with the intention of being 'consistent' through the various crops that arrive in the year. Such a strong branding that I have heard coffee shop owners repeating it verbally when asked if they ever served anything else. I wondered if the loyalty was more down to them having to serve it as part of their set-up/leasing arrangements...much like tied houses in the licensed trade.

I could never find anything special in it either, certainly at the price point it is easily bettered by 'less consistent' blends. IMO of course.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dfk41 said:

He is an influencer who looks to raise his social media profile in any way that he can......he is an ex world barista champion.......if people enjoy his stuff that is fine but for me, whilst a lot of stuff he says is correct and entertaining, a lot is garbage of the highest order

Exactly, I meant to say for me, he goes into the bucket along with "Kardashians/Footballer WAGs/Love Island contestants/etc." or any other social media influencer. Definitely not with Sir Attenborough.

I think the critical thing I wanted to get across is to be aware that you are not paying for his content (unlike, say using Which? magazine, or <insert cycling magazine>, or getting advice and buying a coffee machine from reputable coffee equipment company, etc.) to gain expertise on a subject. He is using social media to "nudge" you, most likely paid for by advertisers or other brands, to get more into coffee, as exemplified in the comments above.

I thoroughly recommend everyone to watch this documentary if you haven't already: https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81254224

Or even just this: 

Edited by sjm85
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, dfk41 said:

Not disputing this, just asking - is there another "YouTuber" that created/creates as much content (he uploads frequently) about as many topics (he covers a wide variety of them..) as he does, and with at least passable montage / video quality? 

I would totally enjoy having another take, but the most I've seen is:

- channels just pushing sponsored videos where they just regurgitate product sheets and/or marketing briefs from manufacturers (hardly better than an "Influencer" who at least is going deeper into the subject)

- amateurs who shoot videos with their phones with little video quality and poor to no montage, which makes for painful watching

- channels that have a handful of interesting videos (perhaps ChrisBaca comes to mind) yet a very narrow focus and/or very few regular updates

I'm genuinely wanting to know whether I'm missing some interesting channels.

Edited by Baffo
  • Like 3