IGNORED

Your favourite cow's milk

That’s interesting. I never heard of A1 or A2 milk. I just googled it. When I holidayed in Jersey one time, we had Jersey milk every day. Loved it.

50 minutes ago, Emily said:

That’s interesting. I never heard of A1 or A2 milk. I just googled it. When I holidayed in Jersey one time, we had Jersey milk every day. Loved it.

Yep, A1 milk is not good for us at all. It's often a cause of eczema in children and inflammatory disorders. 
When I have spoken to people who have these issues I get them to try goats milk (all A2), often the issues go away. 
We use Jersey and Guernsey (which is 90% A2) to reduce the amount for our son. 

• Like 1
On 01/02/2021 at 04:29, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Does it have to be from a cow ? ...other "milks" are available :classic_wink:

Well technically it only has to come from a mammal but I have found that the choice of mammals milk in UK shops is very limited. 

Cows, Goats - I think I've seen sheep's milk and that's about it. No doubt there are some others about.

On the other hand there are more varieties of water rinsed & wrung through various grains and nuts than I could easily list. I haven't come across any I like as hot "milk" although I find several drinkable as a cold drink (particularly Coconut based ones).

MrsD drinks pretty exclusively Oat "milk".

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TomHughes said:

When I have spoken to people who have these issues I get them to try goats milk (all A2)

I would love to be able to buy goats milk easily. I make most milk into kefir every day and goats milk is the traditional milk to use for this. I actually drink very little milk otherwise, an occasional milky coffee is all. Very interesting about the goats milk though. 

Edited by Emily
7 minutes ago, Emily said:

I would love to be able to buy goats milk easily. I make most of my milk into kefir every day and goats milk is the traditional milk to use for this. I actually drink very little milk otherwise, an occasional milky coffee is all. Very interesting about the goats milk though. 

I have been looking for a Kefir recipe - got worried about bacterias.

Do you mind sharing your process?

• Like 1
On 31/01/2021 at 17:42, Sam_d said:

I use jursey milk tastes good and steams well

I have never tried that, and will do. Don't you find it too rich?

and what ratio of Coffee:Milk do you use in your Jersey drinks?

22 minutes ago, SDB-Niche said:

have been looking for a Kefir recipe - got worried about bacterias.

Do you mind sharing your process?

You have to buy/acquire some kefir grains first. There are a small number of places online that will send some in the post, I think I paid about £8. Mine came with some instructions, but you basically put them in a clean glass jar with some type of milk and cover with a piece of fabric fastened with an elastic band round the top which allows them to breathe. They ferment the milk at room temperature but a minimum of 18 degrees. 24 hours later you have a fizzy fermented milk drink. You strain out the grains and “feed” them with more milk. I put it on oats, bake with it etc.

The bacteria’s are good bacteria. I have been making it for a couple of years and never had a problem with it. Haven’t seen any particular benefits either though tbf 😂 Still, I love fermenting stuff.

Edited by Emily
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Emily said:

You have to buy/acquire some kefir grains first. There are a small number of places online that will send some in the post, I think I paid about £8. Mine came with some instructions, but you basically put them in a clean glass jar with some type of milk and cover with a piece of fabric fastened with an elastic band round the top which allows them to breathe. They ferment the milk at room temperature but a minimum of 18 degrees. 24 hours later you have a fizzy fermented milk drink. You strain out the grains and “feed” them with more milk. I put it on oats, bake with it etc.

The bacteria’s are good bacteria. I have been making it for a couple of years and never had a problem with it. Haven’t seen any particular benefits either though tbf 😂 Still, I love fermenting stuff.

I have some that are about 20 years old, I have to keep them in the fridge to keep them in check! 

• Like 1

@SDB-Niche We’ve settled on semi skimmed from our local farm - Our Cow Molly in Sheffield, as featured on Countryfile last Sunday (we are just outside their delivery area but they supply our milkman).

Had issues with the other dairy our milkman uses in that it wouldn’t always froth well, no issues now so the extra 2p per litre is worth it quite apart from supporting a small local business. 

Just after lockdown 1 started Our Cow Molly was the only option in the local  Morrison’s as they stepped in when they ran low of their own brand!

Might sound like a pleb, but I always go back to Cravendale. It's just the sweetest and has decent fridge life. Guernsey is good too. 

27 minutes ago, Zeak said:

Might sound like a pleb, but I always go back to Cravendale. It's just the sweetest and has decent fridge life. Guernsey is good too. 

I use Cravendale full fat too.  I don't really notice much difference in taste but I've never tasted it back to back with other milk really.  Lasts for at least 10 days opened which is just so convenient.

Occasionally I'll get Jersey milk as a treat.

Didn't know about A1 /A2 milk either.  I wonder if we'll start seeing Cravendale A2 etc in shops.